PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    0netrack wrote: »
    Would it at least be worth referring to the Financial Ombudsman? To be clear, I'm not after more money, I just feel that this may require further investigation, especially given that I declined the PPI product.
    To what end would you refer this to the Ombudsman? The breakdown of your refund seems clear enough to me. You agreed to and then cancelled the PPI on your original loan, but then subsequently took a consolidation loan which attracted more interest and costs than it would otherwise have done. Your £100 refund is simply to put you back into the position you would have been in if you hadn't ever had PPI in the first place. It's a minimal amount even with the 8% interest you've received after 16 years because you were only ever out-of-pocket minimally. There is no refund of actual PPI, however, because you didn't pay any.

You can hardly refer what amounts to an upheld "complaint" to the Ombudsman and, if you do, they'll just explain exactly as the Bank have done based on the records. The Ombudsman can't investigate your accusation of mis-selling since the sale was cancelled!
    0netrack wrote: »
    I specifically asked them to remove the PPI product and I remember it very well.
    and they did!:eek:
    Their records that you cancelled the PPI 16 years ago during the cooling off period obviously trump your faulty memory of events, a fact borne out by you also failing to remember that you later re-financed the loan with a further one.

Just enjoy your refund (and don't spend it all at once ;) )
  • middlewife
    Options
    I submitted a series of claims for personal loan ppis taken out over the last 30 years with Alliance & Leicester, Cahoot, Abbey National and Santander. Like many others Santander confirmed policy numbers where we had taken out PPI but would not confirm when or with which provider. No matter, I submitted them anyway and just left the boxes blank. My reasons for claiming were that either the insurance was added without my consent, or without adequate explanation and was irrelevant as my OH was made redundant twice during that period and managed to find work before the exclusion period expired each time, so rendering the policies useless. I also claimed Plevin.
    I was somewhat stunned to receive a letter relating to just ONE of the 5 policies informing me I was refunded £3304 !! Considering that the maximum we ever borrowed was 20K and the average was 10K I am gob-smacked. Especially as Santander is our mortgage provider and have done nothing to help us when OH was made redundant, refusing all requests to either remortgage or extend loan terms or convert to repayment. I am so glad I did this, hope others also have success :)
    :beer:
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    Rather than start a whole new thread about this, I wondered if anyone could tell me what might happen if you've been told you're owed money from a PPI claim before the deadline but you didn't actually follow it up with the deadline now passed ?

It's not for me, but i was talking to a friend last night who told me he'd found a letter that he'd forgotten about that told him he was owed some money.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it's from a bank, tell him to get in touch with them.
    If its from a claims company, throw it in the bin.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • jasonwatkins
    Options
    Thanks, I will do. I have a feeling it might be from a bank. He seemed fairly insistent that because it came before the deadline, he could still claim it afterwards but i'll tell him anyway.
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it’s an information request before June/July it’s unlikely they accept a complaint now. If it was after this date (but prior to the deadline) it should have been auto-converted into a complaint
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • Gonna-be-debt-free
    Options
    A couple of successful claims to report.

£11,500 from my Barclaycard and just under £2,000 from OH. I need to double check OH's as he typically paid more PPI than I did as had a bigger balance. They don't have records prior to 2006 so have estimated the older amounts, but I do still have all the statements (I think).

Keeping our fingers crossed for husband's MBNA card which had large PPI payments for a number of years. They are sending him letters every week to say they are still looking into it.

Very glad that we jumped through the hoops :)
  • Amethyst
    Options
    Hi,

We have just heard from Lloyds that they have upheld the PPI complaint and paid £5000 straight into our bank this morning.

All we can say is WOW!

Thank you Martin for all the reminders over the years!!
  • livelylou
    Options
    WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY A HUGEEE THANK-YOU TO MSE .
    Absolutely Fantastic news .. A few weeks ago I used your template to help me reclaim a Mis sold bank account with Lloyd’s bank . ( Which was very easy to complete ) . On the 13th December 2019 I received a phone call from them to go through information I felt relevant to my claim. Then this morning 19th December 2019 I received another call from Lloyd’s telling me that I was being Refunded all of monthly fees “ £19.00 per month “ plus compensation going all the way back 11 years to April 2008 . Within the next hour they had transferred £2291.85 . What a great Christmas present for me & my children x
  • typhoon
    typhoon Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    I had applied just before the deadline , hadn't applied before this as I hadn't realised I could claim as far back as 1997.
    My story is that I took out a loan for a car. I can clearly remember that I was told that as this was my first loan, I HAD to take out payment protection insurance and I wouldn't be offered the loan without this.

My rejection letter received this morning state that the sales process at the time "would have" made sure I was provided with the documentation ensuring I understood that there was no requirement to purchase the policy. They also state that the sales person "would have" highlighted that the policy was not compulsory. They have rejected the claim on the basis that they believe that I was made aware that the policy was optional.

The sum wouldn't have been huge by any means so that isn't what is bothering me, however I am so angry now that they are basically saying I am lying and there is nothing I can do about it. Why would a 24 year old in a secure permanent job take out an additional premium on a policy if they had been told they didn't have to???

I have been told I can contact the FOS. Can anyone tell me if they will there is a realistic chance that they might overturn the decision, or would I be fighting a losing battle?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback