PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• GreenFairy
    GreenFairy Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh Coxy I think I'd cry...time for a new slow cooker? Don't know what I'd do without mine - it's the kind that cooks rice and all!

€12.28 spent today. Sea salt, garlic, fresh coriander and chillis, giant cauliflower, lemons, dairy free cheese....and a sneaky packet of Oreo cookies.

Having HM pizza and salad
    Fri: cauli and chickpea curry for the gang, with Jamie's carrot salad, rice and poppadums.
    Sat: veg satay, rice for himself, noodles for me.
    Sun: wraps or tacos - have all the bits in, just need to make refried beans.

Will have a run through of the presses on Sunday and see what I can cobble together for the week ahead :)
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've updated my signature. Spent far too much because I stopped off in M&S because I fancied some Percy Pigs, picked up a few bits I needed:mad:

What a fool!

Please, I am just dying to know, what are Percy Pigs, nosey old sod I am.
    Slimming World at target
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD ... did buy a Keep calm and Keep on saving pot in red to match my kitchen, from CS.

Tonight's tea was Caribbean chicken, sweet potato and green beans. Going to bin the marinade and make my own in future. All i could taste was salt.

20130411_181522_zps7b137cbb.jpg
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Please, I am just dying to know, what are Percy Pigs, nosey old sod I am.

Jelly sweets Meg
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 April 2013 at 7:25PM
    Options
    For tea tonight I made defrosted YS prawns in a creamy garlic, chilli and lemon sauce with pasta, the portions weren't massive but were very much enjoyed, as the prawns cost 74p and the pasta 29p for the whole packet, which we only made a small dent in, this was a very cheap meal for 3 of us. Onion was from super six and the pepper was left over given to me by my mum. If I had gone shopping I would have added mushrooms to the sauce (with Aldi Philly-type cheese) and a fresh crunchy salad but we went without. We shared a 33p garlic bread cooked from frozen from the Co-op and used up some of a fresh lemon.
  • brighteyes1987
    Options
    Evening all,

Small spend today £1 on mushrooms needed for dinner this evening.
    NSD yesterday though :T
    Sig updated.

Had chicken chasseur, fresh veg & roasties for dinner. Really enjoyed & yet again dd7 (human dustbin that she is :rotfl:) demolished the lot.

Shopping day tomorrow. Meal plan & list has been made. If I stick to these should be a small spend week. Time will tell but budget looking ok so far this month.

Have a great evening all.

BE x
    March grocery challenge 147.28 / 150.00 :j

April grocery challenge 60.36 / 150.00
  • getting-sorted-sarah
    Options
    Another NSD for me. Totally relating to those of you talking about not being about to resist bargains - that'll be why I have 9 tins of baked beans in the cupboard. I grew up without too many luxuries but there was always good food and cooking/eating was a big part of family life. I think I associate full cupboards with looking after my family, and we go without a lot but never food! Must get this under control and more proportionate though.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Jelly sweets Meg

Aw right thanks I was thinking it was probably to do with pigs trotters that my nan used to rave about,.apparently when she and my Grandad were courting they used to go to the 6d pictures and he would bring pigs trotters for them to slurp in the back row.
    Slimming World at target
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Aw right thanks I was thinking it was probably to do with pigs trotters that my nan used to rave about,.apparently when she and my Grandad were courting they used to go to the 6d pictures and he would bring pigs trotters for them to slurp in the back row.

Wow- a bit different to the food at cinemas now!
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No spend day today :j had HM mushroom stroganoff from the freezer with cabbage for dinner. I had potatoes and oH had chips. Tasty and quick :)
    For tea tonight I made defrosted YS prawns in a creamy garlic, chilli and lemon sauce with pasta, the portions weren't massive but were very much enjoyed, as the prawns cost 74p and the pasta 29p for the whole packet, which we only made a small dent in, this was a very cheap meal for 3 of us. Onion was from super six and the pepper was left over given to me by my mum. If I had gone shopping I would have added mushrooms to the sauce (with Aldi Philly-type cheese) and a fresh crunchy salad but we went without. We shared a 33p garlic bread cooked from frozen from the Co-op and used up some of a fresh lemon.

Well done on a frugal and very tasty sounding meal :T

And can't remember now who posted about the rubberised turkey but well done also!! :T
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure