PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• mattjohns1
    mattjohns1 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all, appreciate the advice. I wanted to ask to make sure as I'd read in Martin's emails and posts about banks trying to fob people off, so I wanted to be certain.
    If I have no claim, then that's fair enough - just thought it was worth a try, particularly as some of the commentary I'd read seemed to state that there was no limitation how far back you can go in claims. I'd obviously misread or misunderstood that, so it's my fault.
    As to why I thought it was missold, I remember in the estate agents they had the Countrywide rep who basically told us that we needed to have the insurance to get the mortgage. I was a lot younger and not so financially savvy at the time, and it's only recently that I thought that I might be able to claim. Obviously not, but I lose nothing by trying.
    Thanks again.
  • Ritakd
    Ritakd Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Not sure if this has already been asked but hope someone can help...

I’ve been taking strong medication for a number of years due to an injury which has left me with very poor memory.
    I know over the years I’ve had loans, a store card, and a couple of mortgages but can’t remember any of the details, names or account numbers etc and don’t have any paperwork. Is there a way of checking for PPI by name/s only?

Sorry for sounding so dim,
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can either check for accounts on your credit files, or ask lenders directly.
  • Curiousannie
    Options
    Can someone please help, I’ve tried reclaiming for ppi myself, had used a company for other ppi previously. The company is Creation Finance, totally missold at a football ground, my husband said he’d been approached about a credit card that gives you special discounts for any purchases made at the football club. So he went ahead to apply for one, this was in 2007. I have used the resolver page to help with ppi, my husband is self employed and we didn’t know if there was ppi on the card, turned out there was! So I put a claim on for reasons 1) didn’t know ppi was added 2) he’s self employed so waste of money as never covered. We were totally ignored so I sent an email asking for a SAR, which we received and the contract has only got my husbands name and address on it, nothing else at all! No employment details filled in, no DOB, no signature nothing. It’s as if the seller just filled his name and address in and eh presto he was sent a credit card. They also included a 3D insurance policy which says you are entitled to claim if self employed or employed, annoyingly we had never seen this paperwork before and never knew he had any kind of insurance on it, the letter states we would’ve been sent all policies with the card, a complete lie. Now I have sent a final letter before escalating the case to the FOS, we received an offer 4 days ago but it states we knew the ppi was added ( no we didn’t) and that the policy was also sent and it was our choice if we wanted to cancel ( which we didn’t apparently!!!) and that as agreed by the FOS they will refund us only 50% of the ppi we paid in. Plus interest. They’re saying 50% = £155 plus interest etc totals £1600! I’m shocked at how much but why are they saying only 50%? Are they trying to swindle us? Should I accept this? I have no idea? I’m happy with the offer but not happy if I think they’re trying to reduce what we are really entitled to. They state if I accept the offer they will pay within a month, but I can otherwise take it to the FOS if I want to reject the claim. I don’t want to reject it I just want to know if what they’re offering is legal and correct. Help anyone!!!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can someone please help, I’ve tried reclaiming for ppi myself, had used a company for other ppi previously. The company is Creation Finance, totally missold at a football ground, my husband said he’d been approached about a credit card that gives you special discounts for any purchases made at the football club. So he went ahead to apply for one, this was in 2007. I have used the resolver page to help with ppi, my husband is self employed and we didn’t know if there was ppi on the card, turned out there was! So I put a claim on for reasons 1) didn’t know ppi was added 2) he’s self employed so waste of money as never covered. We were totally ignored so I sent an email asking for a SAR, which we received and the contract has only got my husbands name and address on it, nothing else at all! No employment details filled in, no DOB, no signature nothing. It’s as if the seller just filled his name and address in and eh presto he was sent a credit card. They also included a 3D insurance policy which says you are entitled to claim if self employed or employed, annoyingly we had never seen this paperwork before and never knew he had any kind of insurance on it, the letter states we would’ve been sent all policies with the card, a complete lie. Now I have sent a final letter before escalating the case to the FOS, we received an offer 4 days ago but it states we knew the ppi was added ( no we didn’t) and that the policy was also sent and it was our choice if we wanted to cancel ( which we didn’t apparently!!!) and that as agreed by the FOS they will refund us only 50% of the ppi we paid in. Plus interest. They’re saying 50% = £155 plus interest etc totals £1600! I’m shocked at how much but why are they saying only 50%? Are they trying to swindle us? Should I accept this? I have no idea? I’m happy with the offer but not happy if I think they’re trying to reduce what we are really entitled to. They state if I accept the offer they will pay within a month, but I can otherwise take it to the FOS if I want to reject the claim. I don’t want to reject it I just want to know if what they’re offering is legal and correct. Help anyone!!!

I wonder if you are misreading the letter given you mention 50% refund - that sounds like a Plevin (commission) refund.

Your post seems to indicate you think your complaint reasons are silver bullets but they aren't. PPI was listed on every single statement where you had a balance as a separate charge so you did know about it (not reading your statements isn't miss-selling) and it was a claims company myth that PPI didn't cover the self employed, most of it did.

Can you prove you never received the paperwork as you allege?

If it's a Plevin refund (mentions unfair relationship in the wording) then you can accept that and still refer to the FOS, the Plevin bit would just be deducted from the full refund if the FOS agree it was miss-sold
  • lurkwarbler
    lurkwarbler Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 29 May 2019 at 6:21PM
    Options
    Thank you, Moneyineptitude! Obviously that wouldn't stand alone as a valid complaint, but in conjunction with the information I had supplied with my initial complaint, it may be enough - or the FOS may be the next route to follow.

Thank you very much, -taff! I appreciate your assistance and you gave me some valuable starting-points for subsequent searches which led me to the sorts of things I was looking for.

Best wishes for the weekend!

My factually accurate but fairly flimsy-feeling complaint has been upheld, and I have received a cheque for a little over a month's rent for my shoe-box flat in Outer London. Many thanks to everyone on the forum, especially -taff, who gave me the confidence to claim. I have made a small donation to the MSE Charity and, as per Martin's recent blog entry, will submit a R40 to reclaim the tax withheld on the interest when the current tax year ends.

No guarantee that it will work for anyone else - you've got to write what's appropriate for your situation - but the paragraph that I believe might have done the trick in my complaint follow-up ran as follows:

"I believe that I applied for an Egg credit card online and followed the standard application procedure. I felt that the information I was presented at the time, as part of the application process, was advice to take out the PPI policy. I am aware that, at the time, a pre-ticked box would have been presented concerning my potential adoption of PPI, rather than requiring me to physically sign my name to accept it. I am also aware that I may not have been given sufficient information at the time to decide whether or not PPI was appropriate in my case, bearing in mind the nature of my self-employment. These lead me to believe that I was missold PPI."

On the downside, I bought two pasties today and one of them appears to have fallen out of my bag at some point. Looks like I needed some Pasty Protection Insurance.
  • Alicesusan
    Options
    My friend's mother died some years ago and he would like to claim back any PPI but we're not really up to doing it ourselves right now. Would be gratetful if anyone could kindly recommend a good company we could contact to do this for us? Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There aren't any.

Just tell the executor to send their complaint directly to the lenders concerned. It's much less effort.

Remember to keep it factual.
  • msfb
    msfb Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

My boyfriend took out a Style Card (Credit Card) with JD Sports around 2003/2004. He has no old statements, no record of the account, no details.

Is there a way he can find out if he's due a PPI refund, preferably without using a PPI Company.

Thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    He needs to send in his complaint, stating why he thinks he was mis sold.

Be prepared for them not to have any records from that long ago.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback