PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can you freeze eggs?

Options

Comments

• keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If they're just at the sell by date they will be fine for a while yet. You've got enough for two 3 egg omlettes, ideal with chees and some chives!
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • life_in_termoil
    Options
    Im preparation for winter im just wondering if eggs can be frozen, not in the shell obviously but whisked up (as if making an omelette) to be used for making omelettes/cakes etc when and if the bad weather comes and I cant get to the shops.

Any ideas?
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #982
    In 2012 I pledge to:- Save £1 a day, meal plan, be more organised, have NSDs, set myself a budget AND STICK TO IT, throw all loose change into Sealed Pot and not open it till 29th November.:money:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Im preparation for winter im just wondering if eggs can be frozen, not in the shell obviously but whisked up (as if making an omelette) to be used for making omelettes/cakes etc when and if the bad weather comes and I cant get to the shops.

Any ideas?

They can - several different methods, so take a look at this thread for ideas :) I'll merge this later to keep ideas together.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • life_in_termoil
    Options
    Thanks Penpen x
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #982
    In 2012 I pledge to:- Save £1 a day, meal plan, be more organised, have NSDs, set myself a budget AND STICK TO IT, throw all loose change into Sealed Pot and not open it till 29th November.:money:
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That previous thread is great. To be honest we are a big family (4 kids 2 adults) so all we have to do to use up eggs is have an omlette night lol.

I would prefer to bake or cook the eggs into a dish before freezing, but have frozen egg whites which were fine. In fact the roux bros say meranges whip up better from frozen egg whites as you get more volume.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 November 2010 at 2:00PM
    Options
    I have just been given some newly laid eggs. I dont really eat them as such but do have some cakes to make . Googled it and apparently I can freeze eggs once they are slightly blended for use in cakes. Anyone done this? did cakes turn out ok? They are going to be used for cupcakes later

edit- sorry all just found a previous thread. You can!
  • Moonchic82
    Moonchic82 Posts: 29 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2010 at 12:12PM
    Options
    I have just made some simple fishcakes with salmon, potato, carrot, onion, spring onion and egg to bind it. All of the ingredients have been cooked before mixing together apart from the egg. Can I now freeze them? Or will I need to cook them before freezing to cook the egg?

Also, will these need defrosted before cooking again or can the be fried off from frozen?

Thanks
    Mortgage free by 40...
    Jan 2008 £150,599, end date Jan 2033, age 51 :(
    July 2011 £137,044; Aug 2011 £136,465; Sep 2011 £134,765; Apr 2012 ~£85,000
    Overpayments to date £46,750 (Since June 2011)
    April 2022, age 40, £0...honest, I'll get there! :j
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    You can freeze egg white,I'm not sure about the yolk.
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    Definately the whites - cos Nigella does! Not sure of the yolk though. x
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    According to this site it is okay to freeze the yolk too

http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/Chicken_a/Chicken_Egg_Excess/index.php
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure