PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can you freeze eggs?

Options

Comments

• flutterbyuk25
    Options
    Why do you need to freeze them? Eggs last longer than the the date on them. If unsure just do the float test

HTH
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Helen2k8
    Helen2k8 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    I keep them at room temperature and have had some for weeks with no issues. If I can't remember when I bought them, I crack them into a separate bowl before use just in case, but have never yet had a bad one (touch wood!!)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. Just keep them in your kitchen and do the float test. Ignore the date on the pack. Surely as a family you could use them all up in a month.
    When I have extra eggs, I just add maybe poached eggs to a dinner, crack on on top of a HM pizza for a bit of extra yum just 5 mins before it is done. I have also frozen them in exactly the same way as cornishchick.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A space-saving recipe I use for spare eggs - pancakes! Make a batch, open-freeze so they don't stick together (or use paper to separate), then bag up. They can be warmed up from frozen in the microwave and taste absolutely fine. We don't tend to get through a whole bottle of milk between the two of us either so it's a handy way to use that up too (I split a bottle down and freeze it, but again, pancakes take up less room than tubs of milk)
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pickled eggs :drool:
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • camNolliesMUMMY
    Options
    I keep my eggs In the fridge, but I thought you had to be careful with dairy or it can make you really poorly.
    But I'm all about saving money and immediately thought could freeze them as the date on them is next Monday? And I ŵont use all of them by then.
    Thanks for all your advise though!!!
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • shays_mum
    shays_mum Posts: 1,693 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    +1 for the float test. Is the fridge/outside best place to store eggs, wondered as i always put them in the fridge for some reason!
    No one said it was gonna be easy!
  • lily117
    lily117 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you're supposed to keep eggs out of the fridge as they absorb other flavours. Even so, I keep mine in the fridge.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some 'eggscellent' ideas here.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    I keep my eggs In the fridge, but I thought you had to be careful with dairy or it can make you really poorly.

You have to be careful but that isn't always the same as slavishly adhering to dates on stuff - there's usually a margin of safety built into the date that they print.

Using the egg float test and/or cracking into a separate bowl is all you need to be careful with eggs.

And cooking eggs for people who are particularly vulnerable. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought some of the issues with eggs aren't so much to do with the age as having them raw - healthy folks can deal with the bugs but weakened immune systems can't. Again - might be wrong on that interpretation so feel free to set me straight if I've misunderstood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure