New Post Advanced Search

Can you freeze eggs?

edited 16 October 2012 at 10:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
103 replies 16.6K views
Nurse_BambiNurse_Bambi Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
107 posts
edited 16 October 2012 at 10:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
i mean boxes of eggs! I've got a money off voucher when I buy two boxes!

cheers

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
No links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2

Replies

• Lillibet_2Lillibet_2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can freeze hard boiled then mashed eggs (Thats why supermarkets sell scotch eggs with egg mayonnaise in the middle instead of a normal hard boiled egg, only they use chemical-based freezable mayonniase 'cos regualr mayo can't be frozen) Omletts can be frozen & re-heated in the microwave, also French toast (also known as eggy bread). Uncooked eggs cannot be frozen to the best of my knowledge due to seperation & the shells bursting!
    HTH ;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Nurse_BambiNurse_Bambi Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    107 posts
    Yummmm... eggy bread!
  • misspricemissprice Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    afair you can freeze the egg if you take it out of the shell. i know for sure you can freeze the white. just cant remember if the yolk freezes ok.

could always freeze two in a bag and find out.

simone
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • You can freeze both white and yolk as long as you don't keep them in the shell :)
  • CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you do is:

Break the eggs and beat them together as if you were making an omelette, then freeze them in ice-cube boxes. Once the egg is frozen you can get the cubes straight out of the boxes and put them in freezer bags (so you can reuse the boxes).

When you need to use the eggs, defrost as many cubes as necessary (you need to work out how many eggs go in how many cubes, depending on the size of the egg) and use as if you had fresh eggs.

This only works in recipes that use whole egg.

Hope it helps

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Nurse_BambiNurse_Bambi Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    107 posts
    Caterina, that sounds like hard work!!!

but thanks anyhow!
  • 1601199616011996 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    mmm thats interesting to know caterina, i'm forever looking at cheap boxes f eggs and wondering if i can uuse them.

thanks.
  • CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest I cannot claim the trick as my own, as I have read it in the Complete Tightwad Gazette! But I hope it works as I haven't tried myself (we don't keep eggs long enough in this family, once I have a carton it all goes in omelettes, fritters and pancakes!)

Ciao

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • MurtleMurtle Forumite
    4.2K posts
    or freeze yolks as one lump - and whites as another lump!!! defrost what you need - we used to freeze excess whites - not sure what we did with the yolks and then use the whites for meringues etc......
  • 1601199616011996 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    how long do they last for in freezer though?