Got an email I won a trip to Barcelona, but...

Options

Comments

• GuruOnAMountain
    Options
    I was one of the "winners" here, too and although I did think the email was genuine, I didn't go around telling everyone or putting it on Facebook as I thought I'd wait to hear from them in regards to making arrangements for the trip, first. I told a couple of people (close friends and family and left it at that).

However, I did get the email on my phone a couple of minutes before I started a shift at work, so went about 4 hours thinking that I had won before I got the second email on my break, so the disappointment was quite high. I think some people are being a bit harsh on people who are saying that they are "gutted" etc. I think for a start some people might have got the apology email first before the winning email or have seen this thread here before they got their winning email and so didn't really have the excitement followed by disappointment. Furthermore, some people are generally led by their emotions more than others, so some people will have felt really upset by their chance at a holiday being withdrawn while others wont have been.

At the end of the day, it is great that Boots gave everyone at least something to say sorry but it was a silly mistake to happen and did take a fairly long time for them to rectify. If they sent that email out to 9000 people I would imagine they would have started to get 'Thanks for this, looking forward to hearing from you' etc. emails in within a few minutes so must have realised quickly that they'd made a mistake. If I were a manager there, the minute I realised the mistake I'd have sent out an email saying that there had been an error. I wouldn't have sweated over it for an hour before sending an email.

Also, as for the employee who sent the email out, I feel sorry for them. It was a mistake and we all make mistakes, to be sure but it was a fairly costly mistake for the company. OK, the £10 in Advantage points doesn't actually cost the company £10, so say it costs them £5, then times that by 9000, that's still £45,000. I'd also think that quite a few people who have been given the points will make sure that they don't spend a penny over the £10 out of spite and quite a few people who have been involved in this competition will boycott Boots in the future out of spite. More importantly, though, I would imagine that there would be repurcussions from VO5 who might feel that they have been portrayed negatively through all of this and may look for financial recompense. Although I hope the employee doesn't lose their job, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. On my first day working in a department store, I was dusting shelves and a customer banged into me, making me bang into the shelf. Two small glass candle holders fell to the floor and smashed. They each retailed at £5 each, so that was £10 overall in cost, although obviously it would have cost the company less than this to buy them. I fully expected to have to pay for this out of my wages and since it was only my first day, also expected that I might be disciplined and/or lose my job over it and it probably only cost the company a measly few pounds. How much more could you expect to lose your job if your simple mistake had cost your company thousands of pounds? I'm sure the employee in question had a sleepless night that night, anyway.
  • chrissie57
    chrissie57 Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Guess we have all had this - I received mine a couple of hours ago.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your patience with us, we are pleased to confirm that we have begun adding the £10 worth of Boots Advantage Card points (1000 points) to all participants in the VO5 competition and over the next seven days you will see these updated on your account. You’ll only need to contact us again, if you haven’t already, if you do not have an Advantage Card and wish to nominate a friend or family member’s card instead or if you didn’t register your Advantage Card details when you first entered the competition.

The second prize draw was conducted on Monday 19th November and the winner has now been notified. Thank you and once again we apologise that on this occasion things didn’t run as smoothly as we would have liked.

Best wishes

The Boots Advantage Card Team

I was hoping the winner of the second draw might be on here - but guess no one would believe it until they tickets in their hand:eek:
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't think they'd own up to winning this.
  • Silver-Cat
    Options
    I never got an email at all but I did get a phone call. I've been trying to call them back on the number that called me to check it was genuine but the line is always busy so I guess it was a no...
    I guess I don't get the points either :D:D:D
  • kiwi07
    kiwi07 Posts: 1,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chrissie57 wrote: »
    Guess we have all had this - I received mine a couple of hours ago.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your patience with us, we are pleased to confirm that we have begun adding the £10 worth of Boots Advantage Card points (1000 points) to all participants in the VO5 competition and over the next seven days you will see these updated on your account. You’ll only need to contact us again, if you haven’t already, if you do not have an Advantage Card and wish to nominate a friend or family member’s card instead or if you didn’t register your Advantage Card details when you first entered the competition.

The second prize draw was conducted on Monday 19th November and the winner has now been notified. Thank you and once again we apologise that on this occasion things didn’t run as smoothly as we would have liked.

Best wishes

The Boots Advantage Card Team

I was hoping the winner of the second draw might be on here - but guess no one would believe it until they tickets in their hand:eek:

Has any of you received the points?
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lucky18 wrote: »
    Has any of you received the points?

Mine's gone on today. :j
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • starrybee
    starrybee Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I checked a couple of days ago and they were there. :)
  • independance
    Options
    I have mine.
  • chrissie57
    chrissie57 Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine are on
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
  • kiwi07
    kiwi07 Posts: 1,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't. What e-mail did you use to e-mail your advantage card number?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure