PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,641 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @Jensfeet - well done for joining. I couldn't face typing my list up but it would be longer than yours!
    I have a batch of gammon stock, BNS, sweet potato, onion, curry paste plus 'odds and sods from the bottom of the fridge' soup bubbling away. Most will have to go on the freezer as only I eat it but it has used up lots of 'past their best' veg along with some fairly salty stock from my SC gammon the other day. I work from home and am happy to eat soup for lunches so it will go - it will also stop me eating less diet friendly things if I don't have long for lunch.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 January 2017 at 1:44PM
    Options
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    Oh caronc are you sure you are not me and I have been an empty next for 20 years. Love having freezer & cupboards full "just in case". Am really working at weekly meal plans to cut stuff down, particularly as am going for another mobility op before spring so if I need to shop online I will have nowhere to put the new stuff. Am making chick + mush pasties today to use up stuff but 3 will go back into freezer. Made small mince meal yesterday and instead over putting extra in freezer am using it with a few extra frozen veg to make soup for lunch for 3 days. Oh dear. Have done meal plans for 3 weeks now so am trying.
    Kmow the feeling - lorne sausage and mince out of the freezer for dinner tonight and tomorrow. Will be spare portions to wedge back along with portions of turkey broth.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi everyone. Wow nice to see this thread moving. I joined many moons ago, but unfortunately it died a death, always loved it. Nice to see so many familiar faces off the GC challenge too. I don't so much have freezer issues anymore, managed to work through most of it, so I am intending to use up stores, which are loads, cook them up and freeze. I will never need to buy another jar of Pataks anything, as I was buying them by the case. Today I will be cooking a butter bean and sweet potato curry with spinach, all out of stores and freezing. I have loads of catering size tins of beans, I decanted one and froze, which I have been making my way through, also want to make some soup, I have parsnips and butternut squash lurking. in the fridge.
  • Purple_kitten
    Options
    From the freezer Chicken pieces and Meatballs for tomorrow.

I erm forgot the food planning yesterday so when I went to cook, it was frozen solid, ops.:o

And cleaned the fridge.
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Welcome jensfeet. What a stressful year! No wonder you went back to old habits. I can see how that stress and stress from illness could make you stockpile again. A bit like a comfort blanket. I suppose it's the worry of not being able to provide, either monitarily at the moment, or fears due to how I'll you were, and if you're like me, you care for people by feeding them, so you stocked up. You're in a good place to reduce that stockpile now though!

Hi save dosh, it does make me smile at how many GC-ers are here too.

Zafiro, better out and stored properly rather than the frost getting to them I guess. I don't think we'll get snow where we are, much to my son's disappointment!
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 January 2017 at 4:59PM
    Options
    Welcome Jensfeet, They are a great bunch of folk on this thread, helpful and supportive, one step at a time. Everyone has a personal motivation for coming on this thread - mine is concentrating on how much money I'm going to save by living out of the freezers over the coming months as well as getting my life into some sort of order. -good luck with your journey, I'm sure you'll get there.

Save dosh:- how about parsnip and butternut soup with a touch of curry powder to give it a kick? It's thick and tasty, we have it quite a lot and it also freezes well.

Today (day 6)
    Lunch, egg on toast, with last of lemon drizzle cake for DH - all from store and eggs from own chickens. I had HM soup from freezer, satsumas.
    Tea, Turkey thigh casserole, plus a half a packet of casserole mix I had inn the cupboard, pots, veg all from store. Frozen mince pie and custard for DH, sugar free jelly for me.
    Also cooking turkey soup, using a turkey wing plus pulses and veg from freezer or veggie plot, and a Mary Berry tea bread with mixed fruit from store - now down to 9 packets left.
  • foxyloxy11
    Options
    wow Jensfeet it's like your own mini supermarket in those freezers jealous! but I hope you're feeling better and are able to start eating some of your lovely food.
    after xmas spending think how much you'll save on food too.
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Out of freezer: Large pack of quorn mince
    Out of fridge: mushrooms, pepper, cheese, pack of shallots
    Out of cupboard: Tin of tomatoes, tin of borlottli beans, last of random multicoloured pasta, finished a little jar of paprika and a packet of crackers

Rest of pasta sauce in fridge, where it will become veggie shepherds pie for tomorrow.

Four packs of reduced sausages and a packet of bacon added to fridge though, along with a mushroom thing (reduced in M&S).
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Finished the chips and used a few eggs and used the green broccoli. Bean stew tomorrow, which should use up a lot of store cupboard. Will post tomorrow when I know what's been used. Did get some ys stuff today. All fresh fruit and veg. And son's moles are ok. Dr had a good look as he didn't like a different one to the one I didn't like, but he said they were ok. Phew! I knew it was most likely fine, but it's best to hear from a Dr that they're OK and I can stop thinking "but what if.."
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 January 2017 at 9:16AM
    Options
    My inventory of freezer contents (well, the kitchen freezer) is lurking, attached to the FF by magnets but it is like it is haunting me. We have "stuff on", every evening this week and so a quick meal has been the order of the evening.

Last night we used up the last of the leeks bought just before Christmas, :eek: and mixed with a quick cauliflower cheese and some french bread (a part-cooked baguette, also from the store cupboard). My plans for a slow-cooked chicken casserole have not realised because I forgot to get the chicken out :( and I still managed to buy food we will not fully use this week.

This thread has made me realise a few bad habits I can change. I might have reduced my GC budget by £400 per month but there is more I could do.
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure