Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it

Options

Comments

• Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DD's Dad used to say that he and his Mum were like swans "They mate for life" and I feel the same way.

I think four dds would scare off any caller - gentleman or not.. The wrist gadget DD got me says I walked over 7000 steps today (more than in a long time) and when I went to slimming club I had lost six and a half pounds in two weeks in spite of birthday celebrations for dd. I finally feel I am making a start on getting myself a bit fitter and healthier.

Cleaner is coming round tomorrow so will get her to give me a hand moving two heavy suitcases from upstairs and might even find the christening dress I hand sewed and put away safely.

Why Oh Why is it the things you put away safely that go walkies while stuff in a heap you can always lay your hand on?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Elona wrote: »
    DD's Dad used to say that he and his Mum were like swans "They mate for life" and I feel the same way.

I have a very silver large framed photo of two swans close together, on the wall where I am sitting now. I always felt like that, only had one mate the whole of my life and that is the way it will stay

Onwards and upwards today, am pleased with my daily food, keeping sweet treats on a low level but I still enjoy them. Sleeping well and going back into exercise after a few weeks, weather related, break. Its all about supplying the machinery with what it needs to run smoothly

Elona have you found the gown?
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Elona well done on the weight loss.:T

I've booked a holiday, I'm not sure if I've done the right thing , I'd booked time off work this year in June which is when hubby died and it will be the 1 year anniversary, also our wedding anniversary and my birthday.
    I kept being drawn to the cruise we were on when hubby fell ill, we were in the med for 2 weeks and returned home after 1st week .so I've been looking at the 2nd week which was going to all the places we really wanted to see, my wonderful sister said if I wanted to go she would accompany me, so we booked it yesterday.
    I feel I should go and finish our cruise as hubby didn't want to cut short the holiday even though he must have been in horrendous pain, and I think if I don't do it now I never will, and possibly never cruise again. It's more than I would want to pay, and that makes me feel guilty, I'm just hoping I can hold it together and don't ruin my sisters holiday, it's even the same ship.
    I can't believe it's been 8 months ,it feels like yesterday ,but also feels like so long since I last saw him. X
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wort......what a lovely brave and courageous way to commemorate your husband. I am sure he will be looking down and cheering you on. Yes it will be emotional for you but I am sure you will have a good time. How nice that you will have your sister with you. I am sure she will understand if you shed some tears.

Elona ....well done on the weight loss and upping the exercise. It is a nice sunny day here and I shall be going for a gentle stroll later. I might need to strap up my knee. I have been a bit stiff and sore in general and have been a bit lax on the exercise front so I need to get back into it.

Kitty. Your comments about the difficulties of having to do everything alone and how exhausted you feel really resonated with me. There just seems so much to do at times and sometimes I just feel so overwhelemd that I do nothing....

I did have a cleaner as you know but she had moved on. Rather than employ someone to come every week I was thinking of trying cleaning company. I think a blitz every so often would be enough. I am actually in the throes of another Marie Kondo style declutter. I still have far too much stuff.

My home looks nice and minimalist until you open cupboards.....:rotfl:
    I think shedding some more will hopefully help me stay on top of things. It is a slow process though.

I am trying to get out more and am making a real effort to be more sociable. I am meeting one of the jolly dolly ladies tomorrow for a bite to eat and then the cinema.

The other big news is I have decided to go back to college. I shall be studying Complimentary Therapies. My course starts in two weeks. I am looking forward to it. It is one day a week so not too onerous. Something to add a bit of focus in my life.

Hope you are all well.
  • Elona_2
    Options
    kittie

I am try "not" to look for it if you know what I mean or else I will get myself stressed about it.

LL

The complementary therapies sound fascinating and I hope you enjoy it.

I had cleaning companies and they were good but not always the same people and quite expensive. I was very lucky and found a card in a shop for an individual who works for herself. Not only is she much cheaper but she can get to know the house and get into a routine . We need to work round half term etc but so far it seems to work .

LL

I have been taking capsules for joints etc and they seem to be helping a bit.. I also have been making soups and stews with bones in the meat as a lesser version of bone broth and that also seems helpful.

I am meeting dd and sil on Sunday but not sure what we are doing. I have asked that if we are eating here to give me a bit of warning. Middle dd has just e mailed me to ask if I have plans for tomorrow so that looks interesting.

Hugs to all
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wort, booking that cruise will be one of the best things you have ever done, it will draw that invisible line and release your husband. I would take something to scatter, I mean petals perhaps. Your sister is being a rock and mine is a rock too, she rings me every other day. You will find that your relationship with your sister will get even stronger than it obviously is

I keep doing detours on my way back from the tip, always around my chosen location areas and I keep finding lovely areas in those areas. I am still looking but people are staying put for now. I had another fat fluffy white feather the other afternoon, after I came back from turning down a brand new and stunning bungalow (potentially problematic neighbour) and in the wrong orientation. I got that subtle unspoken agreement via the feather :D
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Kittie.....it will all come right in the end. You will find your forever home. Your feather was spot on.

Speaking of signs and drawing lines I thought I would share this with you. I have not told many people because it would raise a few eyebrows, people would say it is my imagination but I know you will all understand.

I never remember my dreams and I certainly cannot recall any dreams about my husband except just once......it was about 4 months ago.

In the dream I am walking towards our old family home. My husband is walking towards me with two other men who I do not know. I feel so happy to see him again. As we draw level with each other he does not speak, he just nods and smiles and then continues walking away from me with the two strange men. I woke up shivering and crying.

I interpreted this to mean that He had come to me in my dream to say his final goodbye and that he was telling me that it was time I let him go.

Since then I have never felt his presence. No matter, I still carry him in my heart. Always will.
  • Elona_2
    Options
    LL

That dream does seem to be drawing a line and suggesting you need to look forward but must have been unsettling. You are right that you will always have him.

Older dd and sil are taking me to lunch on Sunday and got a bit of a shock when they realised how many places were already booked up.

Middle dd has just phoned to say that she and BF are taking me out tomorrow for lunch and to be ready by 11.30 a.m.

Cleaner came round this morning so the house is looking good and she helped me search awkward spaces for the christening dress and shawl. I also emptied the big chest of drawers in the hall just in case I had overlooked something but no luck.

Hugs to all
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Oh dear.....hope you find them.

I lost the shawl my boys had. It got lost in a house move.

Enjoy your lunch tomorrow.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you all, my sisters are very close to me and I'm very lucky I know.
    Today dd1 took me to lunch and it was wonderful, but since I got home and entered the house I can't stop crying, I hope you don't mind I needed someone to talk to, and although I know my family wouldn't mind I feel I don't want to bring them down. Not that I want to bring you wonderful people down, I Hope you understand.
    I really don't know what is wrong I've been crying for 2 hours non stop , I feel my heart is being ripped out, I just want him with his arms around me, I'd give anything to hear his voice.
    I'm usually so strong and don't let my emotions show this crying and desperate need to talk to someone is overwhelming, please forgive me.x
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback