Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Download and read thoroughly Vauban's guide. Answers are usually found there.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • digger65
    digger65 Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2018 at 1:45AM
    Options
    Hi forum
    recently my wife and 11 yr daughters flight was cancelled on return from France, it was on the heels of the recent incident in Bristol with the plane taxi off of runway however the stated reason was operational reasons.
    She was offered a refund which she took and arranged her own travel at great expense (over £500 and to a city hundreds of miles away)due to the time of year (2 days before xmas)
    She was offered a replacement flight but a full week after the cancelled one..
    Would we not be eligible for some compensation in this instance and if so would any of you kind forumers be willing to impart the best way to achieve this pls? i have looked over various guidelines but wanted to establish specifically whether she has a case considering she took the refund and as the replacement flight was a whole week later what amount she should be asking for in terms of compensation if eligible?
    many thanks in adv..
    D
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi digger65,

Please copy and paste your post to the dedicated EJ thread found here...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4384709

It helps to keep all EJ questions together.

Thanks.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Hall90 wrote: »
    Hi, I have been reading through a lot of these posts and am hopeful that someone on here can offer me some advice in regard to a delayed flight.
    I was due to travel from on EZY2452 from Stockholm to Luton on 27th December at 20:45. The morning of the flight I received a notification from easyjet saying they were experiencing delays due to snowfall the previous night in Luton. I kept checks on Luton's website and at 14:30 they issued a statement saying the airport and runway was now fully operational.

To cut a long story short(er), my flight was delayed by 3 hours and 21 minutes which the pilot explained was due to some snowfall in Luton delaying their earlier flights and causing a knock-on-effect to ours. When landing, we were left for another 35 minutes on the plane because the buses, required to transport us to the terminal, were currently in use the other side of the airport (the buses were empty and right behind the plane at the same time as we're being told this).

I have contacted Easyjet about this and they've told me I don't qualify for compensation because the delay was due to the runway being closed, which is out of their control. I agree that that would be out of their control, if it was true but it's not. Other flights from other airlines managed to land and take off at Luton and the airport themselves said the runways were open from 14:30, significantly earlier than my flights expected landing time of 22:10!

Do I have a possible case for compensation? I understand that weather comes under 'extreme circumstances' but there seems to be a bit of a grey area when the weather didn't affect your flight directly but delayed it due to a knock-on-effect?

Any help or advice on who I could speak to would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

If EJ were just slow or inefficient following early snow at LTN and other airlines were operating 'normally' you would have a case.

A knock on delay, caused by a previous problem, is not a valid excuse for EJ to refuse a compensation claim.

Keep pushing.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Leothecat
    Leothecat Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I wonder if someone can offer some advice please?

My 81 year old aunt was due to fly from Belfast to stansted on the morning of 27.12.17. Due to the bad weather conditions in London the flight was delayed again and again throughout the day and then eventually cancelled altogether at approx 8pm.

My aunt sat at the airport for 10 hours with no information from EJ and no offer of food vouchers throughout this time.

Due to continued bad weather the flights on 28.12.17 were also cancelled. My aunt was offered the next available flight on the evening of 29.12.17 but as she would have been due to fly back early evening on 30.12.17 she decided the trip would not be worth it.

EJ are offering a refund of the outward flight and are saying that there should not have been any other food or drinks vouchers offered.

Is this correct?

Many thanks.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Leothecat wrote: »
    Hi,

I wonder if someone can offer some advice please?

My 81 year old aunt was due to fly from Belfast to stansted on the morning of 27.12.17. Due to the bad weather conditions in London the flight was delayed again and again throughout the day and then eventually cancelled altogether at approx 8pm.

My aunt sat at the airport for 10 hours with no information from EJ and no offer of food vouchers throughout this time.

Due to continued bad weather the flights on 28.12.17 were also cancelled. My aunt was offered the next available flight on the evening of 29.12.17 but as she would have been due to fly back early evening on 30.12.17 she decided the trip would not be worth it.

EJ are offering a refund of the outward flight and are saying that there should not have been any other food or drinks vouchers offered.

Is this correct?

Many thanks.

Hi leothecat,

No thats not correct. The cancellation of your aunts flight would probably be regarded as as an extraordinary circumstance due to the weather. In which case...

Care in extraordinary circumstances or exceptional events.
    According to the Regulation, the air carrier is obliged to fulfil the obligation of care even when the cancellation of a flight is caused by extraordinary circumstances, that is to say circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

After the first 3 hours she should have been given food and drink, or vouchers for the same. Right up to the time she opted for a refund she should have been looked after by EJ. If that was after ten hours then they should have supplied food and drinks appropriate to the time of day throughout that period.

If they didn't and she still has any receipts for meals etc that she had to buy herself, she can reclaim that from EJ. Given her age she should have been given some priority. EJ owes a duty of care to your aunt and they let her down, judging from what you say.

Good luck.
  • Leothecat
    Leothecat Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I thought as much tho wasn't sure so I shall chase it up with them.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And she should get a refund of both outward and return flights.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Disappointed (and a bit surprised) that CEDR have sided with EJ in my case.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    knack92 wrote: »
    Disappointed (and a bit surprised) that CEDR have sided with EJ in my case.

Hi knack92,

Thats very disappointing.:(

What was their reasoning, can you post the details here or PM me if you prefer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback