Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview

Options

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    massem wrote:
    the screen goes black for several seconds (other than a green timeline at the top), and then drops back to the recordings list. The small in- picture at the top right returns to the live station I was on before I tried to watch a recording.
    Do you hear the disk spin up as soon as you press play?
    massem wrote:
    I think if this was published, perhaps on your site, the directors would really focus on getting a resolution.
    I feel sorry for Key. Epidemic faults like this must be a real pain for a small support company. The people I really wish would give us an update are TechnoTrend, the firmware writers. I've asked them for some comment today, and I'll post it up if I hear anything.
  • creddish
    creddish Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Brockyman wrote:
    If some Aldi stores have had as few as 3 machines back, that makes me wonder if the problem is batches with hardware problems. All the machines have the same software so surely all the machines will work in a similar fashion (or not work at all as seems to be the case for most of us). If some shops have had virtually no returns, to me that looks like a good batch in that particular store.
    Ian.

I think it very unlikely that there are any fault free units in existence. AFAIK no one who has posted on this forum or on Digital Spy has not experienced the No Signal problem after they have used the box for a while. If there are a significant number of faultless boxes I would have expected at least one to be in the hands of a forum member.

Colin
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    Originally Posted by Brockyman
    If some Aldi stores have had as few as 3 machines back, that makes me wonder if the problem is batches with hardware problems. All the machines have the same software so surely all the machines will work in a similar fashion (or not work at all as seems to be the case for most of us). If some shops have had virtually no returns, to me that looks like a good batch in that particular store.
    Ian.

I have to agree with creddish
    Some stores only had a few, some ppl like me want what they paid for and are sitting it out and not wanting just their money back, Some will have not or may never use all the functions and just put the glitches down to the transmitter/broadcaster and no doubt others will be confused by the technology.

IMHO there are software faults because the broadcast system is country specific, and there are hardware/ manufacturing faults which have been rush "fixed" or overlooked in the hurry to get this out before Christmas on price on time.
    These can include faulty batches of components, poor assembly, ( though it looks well made), lack of ventilation, inadequate component and/or power ratings, etc. The drive and some ic's are from very reputable suppliers like Western Digital and er the rf side is Philips. Im told it has euro emc approval yet has no screening on the radio frequency circuits which logically is most likely part of the no signal probs. Mine has no signal full stop ;)

dc
    ac's lovechild
  • Lorian
    Options
    Interersting post from Bradfordian over at digitalspy, regarding a visit from german engineers on Monday. You can see it in the DisgitalSpy thread, or I've added an excerpt from it on my PVR101 info page (see sig)

there is hope for this box yet....
  • JB1601
    Options
    Don't forget that a lot of the boxes will have been bought as Christmas presents, and the people who received them won't have the receipts for when they go wrong, or alternatively are too polite to ask the person who bought it to take it back! That may explain any lack of returns.

My Dad bought one and was initially going to attempt to put up with it's flaws, but after not recording most of the Royal Institution lectures, deleting a Tsunami C4 prog on its own and bring back a load of crap that had already been deleted he took it back, and ordered a Fusion FVRT100!
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    Lorian wrote:
    Interersting post from Bradfordian over at digitalspy, regarding a visit from german engineers on Monday. You can see it in the DisgitalSpy thread, or I've added an excerpt from it on my PVR101 info page (see sig)

there is hope for this box yet....
    That was confidential info, not to be reported till after the event.
    Managing Directors are getting involved, as this is going to the top.
    BTW Mine is one of the six. and the nice gentleman was the Key boss. He spent all Wed night driving round to pick them up.
    Key are fighting your corner as the Germans wanted a total recall/refund
    ac's lovechild
  • Lorian
    Options
    dc wrote:
    That was confidential info, not to be reported till after the event.
    Managing Directors are getting involved, as this is going to the top.
    BTW Mine is one of the six. and the nice gentleman was the Key boss. He spent all Wed night driving round to pick them up.

Secrets for secrets sake. I'm sure we are all happier to know they are working on the problems...
  • creddish
    Options
    dc wrote:

If TechnTrend (Spelling?) were prepared to offer a recall/refund then they should be given some credit for that. That would have cost them a lot of money. I for one am prepared to hang on to it for a while. Apart from the major irritation of the No Signal problem the box works well and it has some nice features. Some users report that they are unable to record from certain Mux's and other have sound problems, but it may be that both these issues are due more to the broadcasters than the PVR.

Colin
  • rochefort
    Options
    I am now on the third one of these and this one seems the same as the rest. Keeps losing channels and I have to reboot in order to get everything back to normal.

In addition, over the three units I don't seem to be able to permanently delete programmes as they magically reappear. Also, I have recorded some programmmes that have subsequently disappeared! This happened last night when I recorded a programme and checked it was there last night and it's gone today! Also. if you rename a programme this reverts back to the original name later on!

Impossible to get through to the helpline so it's a pity that someone from ALDI doesn't have a look at this site and respond because there must be plenty of other buyers out there who have experienced similar problems.

I have downloaded the upgrade to 1.1 so I am now keeping my fingers crossed. I just would like one that works, I don't particularly want a refund but I don't think I'll get an option. So any suggestions for a replacement anyone
  • creddish
    Options
    rochefort wrote:
    I am now on the third one of these and this one seems the same as the rest. Keeps losing channels and I have to reboot in order to get everything back to normal.

In addition, over the three units I don't seem to be able to permanently delete programmes as they magically reappear. Also, I have recorded some programmmes that have subsequently disappeared! This happened last night when I recorded a programme and checked it was there last night and it's gone today! Also. if you rename a programme this reverts back to the original name later on!

Impossible to get through to the helpline so it's a pity that someone from ALDI doesn't have a look at this site and respond because there must be plenty of other buyers out there who have experienced similar problems.

I have downloaded the upgrade to 1.1 so I am now keeping my fingers crossed. I just would like one that works, I don't particularly want a refund but I don't think I'll get an option. So any suggestions for a replacement anyone

If you have downloaded the update since you last had the lost and returning recordings then you should find these problems no longer occur. The main problem remaining are the No Signal problem which i think everyone will get at some time and for loss of sound for users on particular transmitter(s).

Colin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport