Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview

Options

Comments

• massem
    massem Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Lorian wrote:
    Do you hear the disk spin up as soon as you press play?

Yes, the disk spins and a symbol showing iy appears on the display. Looking again at some peoples postings, I see references to a clock???? I don't have a time display on my unit. Should there be one? Is it just a setting I need to switch?
    Thanks
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    rochefort wrote:

Impossible to get through to the helpline so it's a pity that someone from ALDI doesn't have a look at this site and respond because there must be plenty of other buyers out there who have experienced similar problems.
    I don't particularly want a refund but I don't think I'll get an option. So any suggestions for a replacement anyone

Key and Technotrend are aware of this thread and those on Digitalspy.
    Not sure about Aldi as they are reluctant to say where they live.

I think this will get sorted eventually, unless it requires full re engineering, ie a fan, an upgraded power supply and a repacement mainboard. As a former broadcast engineer, there has been a lack of attention to detail in the manufacture, not the design of the radio frequency circuits, which is most probably is the cause of the loss of signal problems.
    The hard drive probs are most likely due to poor psu regulation and the fact that the hard drive is required to switch on from cold to record, at the same time the cpu is writing recording details to memory, causing some info to get lost.
    Other pvrs leave the hard drive spinning.
    Further the fact that there is no fan or ventilation holes, temperature rise will also cause intermittent faults.
    These are all fixable.

If I were to buy a replacement it would be the Humax 9200, has 160 gig drive, is from a good reputable company, but costs twice as much as 101.
    Fusion is improving though they have had problems, as I have with them too. Their 200 is ok but for £30or£40 more, the Humax has twice the hard drive space.
    ac's lovechild
  • creddish
    creddish Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    massem wrote:
    Lorian wrote:
    Do you hear the disk spin up as soon as you press play?

Yes, the disk spins and a symbol showing iy appears on the display. Looking again at some peoples postings, I see references to a clock???? I don't have a time display on my unit. Should there be one? Is it just a setting I need to switch?
    Thanks

The time is displayed only in Standby. At other times the display shows what is curently happening. You can adjust the brightness in Menu/Configuration/Settings.

When you press Play to show the Recordings List the display shows "List". When you press play again on a highlighted recording in the list the display initially shows "Play" followed by a display of the following format +P hh:mm:ss where + is a rotating symbol. The time display counts up as the program is played. How does your display fit in with this description? If your display is showing "iy" then this does not seem correct. Does the display show the correct channel identification numbers when viewing programmes.

Have you checked the details of the selected recording in the Recordings List? Does this show the correct name and duration for the recording? Is the file size reasonable for the duration of the programme. 1 hour of recording should be about 2GB.

Colin
  • -gonzo-
    -gonzo- Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I would like to thank Aldi and PVR101.
    If it wasnt for them both I wouldnt of got hooked on what advantages a PVR has.
    Ive now got the Humax PVR-9200T and WOW what a difference.
    Last night I recorded 2 channels while watching another, which Iam sure is not a feature that will be used often, but great to have anyway..
    Top up Tv is good, just wish the broadcast times were longer on some of the channels as they are with SKY. Well at least cartoon network keeps the kids quiet..
    I know this isnt a Humax 9200T thread but just wanted to say that if it wasnt for Aldi's bargain PVR I would never ever have thought of spending £200+ for a freeview box.
    And I hope those who still have the PVR-101 get the problems sorted out as its still a good unit for the price..
  • kcegginton
    Options
    gonzo: when you've ad the Humax for a while - come back and let us know how you're getting on with it.

Clive
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I registered on digitalspy yesterday to post some info for a guy who's having problems. Some 24 hours later and my account still has not been authorised. Do I have to bribe someone or something?
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    Perhas they don't work weekends?
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • massem
    massem Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    creddish wrote:
    massem wrote:

The time is displayed only in Standby. At other times the display shows what is curently happening. You can adjust the brightness in Menu/Configuration/Settings.

When you press Play to show the Recordings List the display shows "List". When you press play again on a highlighted recording in the list the display initially shows "Play" followed by a display of the following format +P hh:mm:ss where + is a rotating symbol. The time display counts up as the program is played. How does your display fit in with this description? If your display is showing "iy" then this does not seem correct. Does the display show the correct channel identification numbers when viewing programmes.

Have you checked the details of the selected recording in the Recordings List? Does this show the correct name and duration for the recording? Is the file size reasonable for the duration of the programme. 1 hour of recording should be about 2GB.
    Starting at the top....yes....it's there in Standby.

All the display on playback seems as you describe. "iy" should have been "it" ...crap typing.

Recording list seems as you describe except for file sizes which are all "1". The times show as "Played" and a reasonable time but I guess the file size must mean there really isn't anything there?....even though it does have the record light on all that time as if it is recording.

Got my first sound loss whilst doing this so I think that makes the full set now
  • malc_d
    malc_d Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Lorian wrote:
    I registered on digitalspy yesterday to post some info for a guy who's having problems. Some 24 hours later and my account still has not been authorised. Do I have to bribe someone or something?

I had left it for about 24 hrs, then e-mailed them and a couple of hours later I was registered. Good luck.
  • JAK_2
    JAK_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    dc wrote:
    Key and Technotrend are aware of this thread and those on Digitalspy.
    Not sure about Aldi as they are reluctant to say where they live.

This page shows an address for Aldi in Swindon:

http://www.graduate-jobs.com/gj/gjmini/Aldi/index.jsp

Maybe that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills