Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview

Options

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Double_R wrote:
    if anyone could highlight the main problems people are having with the box so that i can check and compare. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

You'll need to get the 1.1 software by doing an update sometime between 6th-9th January (after 10am on the 6th), the next time its broadcast.

I've just started to create a list of know bugs, and also tips and tricks for the PVR101 here If anyone has any different bugs not listed, or know any tricks/tips then feel free to PM me here on MSE or email pvr101@bug-byte.co.uk and I'll add them. When we have a fairly definitive list then I'll bring it to the attention of Key/technosonic. I think we need to get organised and help them out if we want all the problems fixed.

If you can reproduce the problems at will please add a few instructions on how to do so.

Could someone please cross post this into the 1.1 thread over at digitial spy, as I'm not signed up there. Thanks.
  • comicmankev
    comicmankev Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know anything about 160GB HDD recorder model: Chili DVR-9200HX or the Toshiba RDXS24? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any HDD recorders with built in DVD-/+R that are multiregional??
  • rtm
    rtm Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    tr3mor wrote:
    I agree, added to the fact that the sound doesn't work on ITV on mine. I thought it would be a nice upgrade for my humax 8000t, but i think that's gonna be staying.

The remote on the aldi box is so cheap and nasty it's unbelievable.

Also, in the epg, why on earth is there no "find" feature. On the humax i can search for a program. IE i can type in neigbours, and it will show me every episode for the next week for me to highlight and record.

I'm not happy with it.
    The father in law has the ITV sound problem. If he turns over to ITV from any channel from 1-8 there is no sound, turn to channel 9 then to ITV and the sound comes on.

Couple this with it saying NO SIGNAL in a morning on BBC1 and BBC2 plus having to hard reboot it twice a day it's a load of buggy rubbish that should never have seen the light of day.

And the great thing with Aldi is you cannot take it back for a replacement as they only allocate each store so many so you have to get your money back. ALDI SUCKS
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    rtm wrote:
    The father in law has the ITV sound problem. If he turns over to ITV from any channel from 1-8 there is no sound, turn to channel 9 then to ITV and the sound comes on.

Couple this with it saying NO SIGNAL in a morning on BBC1 and BBC2 plus having to hard reboot it twice a day it's a load of buggy rubbish that should never have seen the light of day.

And the great thing with Aldi is you cannot take it back for a replacement as they only allocate each store so many so you have to get your money back. ALDI SUCKS

The ITV sound problem is generally believed to be an incompatibility with the winter hill transmitter (Bolton) and several other manufacturers PVRs and freeview boxes had/have this problem. Technosonic know about it.

It is buggy, but so have many of the other PVR's when released to market, things have got better for them when they have had a couple of software updates.

If think you have a hardware problem and want a replacement then contact Key Warranties, the number is on the front page of the handbook. Expect it to take a while to get an answer!
  • proevo21
    proevo21 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    thank you lorian and rtm, at least i now know how to get sound on itv and i know when the next update is. hopefully it will sort out the many problems that the box is afflicted with.

i think that that box is very glitchy but for £99 it does do the job that i require it to do and that is, recording at the touch of a button .. if the problem still hasnt been rectified via updates in the coming months, i plan to return it to the store from where it was bought and request a Refund, and hopefully by then there will be other freeview recorders available (better ones) for £99 if not cheaper, as electricals seem to be dropping ij price day by day :) so in effect i am renting the box... For free, unless they fix the problem ..and i will keep the box and be very pleased with it :)
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know anything about 160GB HDD recorder model: Chili DVR-9200HX or the Toshiba RDXS24? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any HDD recorders with built in DVD-/+R that are multiregional??
    Kev
    The Chili is a dvd recorder with a choice of 160 or 250 gig hard drives but seems to have a single analogue tuner as will the Tosh.
    Out of the German Umax/ Yamada/ Astec stable. They ( Umax) seem to be having trouble as it has been removed from their site.
    Maplin are doin it for £199, unfortunat that it has the sames product number as the Humax 160 Freeview PVR.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48482&TabID=1&source=1&doy=search
    ac's lovechild
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    Things seem to be moving at Key. MD now involved in sorting this out with the manufacturers. Suprisingly not Technosonic :confused:

I used to think Aldi was the best of the German based supermarkets, but why are they SO reluctant to give contact numbers or addresses on their literature or website. I would have thought this was illegal.
    From these threads has anyone been able to contact an Aldi HO manager?
    Does " Huston" know there is a problem, or the size of it?.

Moneyback is not an option for me , I want what was advertised and what I thought I bought.
    dc
    ac's lovechild
  • tecstar
    tecstar Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lorian wrote:
    Could someone please cross post this into the 1.1 thread over at digitial spy, as I'm not signed up there. Thanks.

It will be done!
  • dfarry
    dfarry Posts: 939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Theres a long thread of dealings with Aldi and Medion over the Tevion LCD TV.... in the end not much has happened... it's all be swept under the carpet..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213625
  • malc_d
    malc_d Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    My only problem seems to be the 'no signal' or blank screen but, as others have discovered, it will record in that condition although long term that is not satisfactory. I had been viewing normal picture until I hit EPG.
    I am prepared to wait in hope for a while - I called into the Aldi store where I bought it today and the manager said she had 3 returns so far and was happy to refund up to 12 months so i may as well hang on as others have said.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure