Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview

Options

Comments

• Brockyman
    Brockyman Posts: 383 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If some Aldi stores have had as few as 3 machines back, that makes me wonder if the problem is batches with hardware problems. All the machines have the same software so surely all the machines will work in a similar fashion (or not work at all as seems to be the case for most of us). If some shops have had virtually no returns, to me that looks like a good batch in that particular store.
    Ian.
  • massem
    massem Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and have been trying to view any recording made since Boxing Day on my 101(without success...any ideas?). Like many others I am reluctant to return the unit if it WILL be resolved in the short term but difficulties getting info are just rubbing salt in.....
    BUT...today I was hacked off enough to try and get past the NoHelpline (should be the NoAnswerline). I spent a bit of time hunting around and managed to get hold of details for the company controlling the helpline company along with e-mails, deskphones and mobiles for a number of their staff including directors.
    I phoned up a diectors DDI number and HE PHONED BACK.....RESULT!!! He assures me that the problems are believed to be software related (so no box swap needed) and they are working at the problems as fast as they can. Was reluctant to give a date for v1.2 but did say he believed it is weeks and not months.
    I can live with a few weeks based on the fact that I am now logged on their customer list and Aldi's willingness to give refunds. At this stage I think publishing the list of phone/e-mail details I have may only hold them up further, but if anyone puts in a bit of effort they will soon get there themselves. If they continue to not communicate with their customers through forums such as this, ringing directly to them may change their minds.
  • malc_d
    malc_d Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Brockyman wrote:
    If some Aldi stores have had as few as 3 machines back, that makes me wonder if the problem is batches with hardware problems. All the machines have the same software so surely all the machines will work in a similar fashion (or not work at all as seems to be the case for most of us). If some shops have had virtually no returns, to me that looks like a good batch in that particular store.
    Ian.
    My Aldi Store manager didn't say how many she had sold but we discussed that maybe customers were waiting for software updates to solve the problem like me.
  • massem
    Options
    Brockyman wrote:
    If some Aldi stores have had as few as 3 machines back, ...
    My store only had 6 to sell anyway!
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    duplicate post (poor site response!)
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    massem wrote:
    Hi, I'm new here and have been trying to view any recording made since Boxing Day on my 101(without success...any ideas?).

Please describe the problem some more, no one else has reported having this problem AFAIK. Are you using the 1.1 software release?
    massem wrote:
    At this stage I think publishing the list of phone/e-mail details I have may only hold them up further, but if anyone puts in a bit of effort they will soon get there themselves. If they continue to not communicate with their customers through forums such as this, ringing directly to them may change their minds.

Key's information is publically available on the web, and I have found them to be very responsive, but this is of little use when they themselves don't yet have any news of another update.
  • massem
    Options
    Lorian wrote:
    Please describe the problem some more, no one else has reported having this problem AFAIK. Are you using the 1.1 software release?
    Yes i'm on 1.1 but had the problem on 1.0. I have recordings shown in the list, all from simply selecting programs in the EPG. The machine switches on and the record light comes on. When finished I can select the recording and press play, the screen goes black for several seconds (other than a green timeline at the top), and then drops back to the recordings list. The small in- picture at the top right returns to the live station I was on before I tried to watch a recording.
    I also have the usual no signal.
  • massem
    Options
    Lorian wrote:
    Key's information is publically available on the web, and I have found them to be very responsive, but this is of little use when they themselves don't yet have any news of another update.

Key's info is available to the public as you say, but from the documentation in the 101 box you get nothing other than a phone number that I have never had an answer from. Also the info on the warranty company is sparse. Looking at the controlling company was more fruitful, and I think if this was published, perhaps on your site, the directors would really focus on getting a resolution. It is not pleasant having lots of upset customers sending e-mails, phoning your direct to your desk and your mobile, to complain and request updates.
    Hopefully, they will offer to publish to here or yourself a real update of the position which they should be pressing for.
  • somerandomguy_2
    Options
    massem wrote:
    Yes i'm on 1.1 but had the problem on 1.0. I have recordings shown in the list, all from simply selecting programs in the EPG. The machine switches on and the record light comes on. When finished I can select the recording and press play, the screen goes black for several seconds (other than a green timeline at the top), and then drops back to the recordings list. The small in- picture at the top right returns to the live station I was on before I tried to watch a recording.
    I also have the usual no signal.

I had exactly that same problem on one of 3 boxes I bought (one for me, two for friends before I get labelled as an ebay tart), on both versions of the firmware, though I didn't seem to get many no signals. I have only seen one other post describing this problem early on in this thread.

I already have a Topfield (which is excellent) and have returned two boxes, though I expect the last one may also go back after the repeat of the upgrade.
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    Lorian wrote:

Key is the innocent third party warranty provider , for the Aldi dip-sticks and the shoddy manufacturers, who have "borrowed" a Canadian/ Chinese company's established name . The Villans are the Jermans, and their Chinese colleagues.
    http://www.technotrend.de/english/firm/aboutus1.html

HTHs dc
    ac's lovechild
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills