🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview

Options

Comments

• gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    rowantoad wrote:
    I was starting to think all freeview boxes [locked up].

Perhaps it's because it's switched off every night, rather than left in standby to deplete the earth's resources? I did have to add a circuit to make it switch on, rather than sit in standby, whenever the power is applied, otherwise I'd have wait for 15 seconds each time I switched it on.
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    malc_d wrote:
    Does anyone else feel that the 'menu' button is too small and in the wrong part of the remote?

I doubt that will be fixed by the software update :p
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    malc_d wrote:
    Has anyone heard whether the software upgrade due soon (6th-9th Jan?) is definitly coming and is it different to the upgrade already released on the 29th of Dec?
    If it doesn't solve the 'no signal' problem the I'll take it back.

I posted about this yesterday, but I think it got lost on the bottom of a page:
    Lorian wrote:
    This update is schduled to be a repeat of 1.1 you can see this in the footnote on the DTG page.

Support are aware that 1.1 has not fixed all the "No Signal" problems, and they have passed this on, so there is every chance there will be another update. No idea when, but the Xmas break only finished today for most people.
  • malc_d
    malc_d Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder how long to continue with this? Any body heard of a time limit for a refund at Aldi, I don't think they would honour a request after 11 months as somebody has indicated, I expect that would have to go back to Technosonic.
  • -gonzo-
    -gonzo- Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    malc_d wrote:
    I wonder how long to continue with this? Any body heard of a time limit for a refund at Aldi, I don't think they would honour a request after 11 months as somebody has indicated, I expect that would have to go back to Technosonic.
    My advise is go get your refund now and if all problems get sorted and aldi get them back in stock again then you could always buy it again to see if it works.
  • Chris_Preston
    Options
    malc_d wrote:
    I took a pair of trainers back after ten months!

Sounds ridiculous, I know but I hadn't worn them much and an eyelet broke making them useless. Cashier challenged me but the manager instructed her to give me my refund. Mind you, I have spend literally £thousands at Aldi; 3 desk tops, 1 laptop, clothes and a garage full of power tools.

IMHO, Aldi don't have this policy out of the goodness of their hearts; it is sound marketing practice, encouraging impulse buying and it is up to MSEers to exploit it to our advantage in cases like this. If they exempt something (they do it with computers), they put a sticker on all the boxes to that effect. There was none on the 'Technonotsonic' (OP - I liked that, too!)

I've had a refund on my 101 and bought a Humax PVR 9200T - £200 from Comet.
  • rowantoad
    rowantoad Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    I've had a refund on my 101 and bought a Humax PVR 9200T - £200 from Comet.

How does it compare?
  • Brockyman
    Brockyman Posts: 383 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    No, you haven't.

No. It's a physical impossibility. When you press 'record' when it's already recording, it asks if you want to stop recording the other chanel.

If yours doesn't do this, which I *doubt*, then it's yet another bug in the software...but an advantageous bug, I'll give you that!

Think about it, ALDI are NOT going to suddenly change all their advertising and leaflets that said it CAN record simultaneously from both tuners, if it acutally can. What a idiot move that'd be! ...they might as well slap a "HD ready" sticker on it too! :p

Anyway, the box the unit came in explicitly says (as I remember), that you can 'record from one chanel, and watch another'....nothing about recording from both.....even the manual says this.

You must be mistaken. ;)
    :o Yes you are right, sorry. I was sure I had done it though. I think I may have confused it with timeshift/pause recording which I definately CAN do whilst recording. Surely the timeshift facility uses the same recording mechanisms as doing an ordinary recording, it must still save it to the hard drive even if only as a kind of temp file.
    Ian.
  • creddish
    creddish Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Brockyman wrote:
    :o Yes you are right, sorry. I was sure I had done it though. I think I may have confused it with timeshift/pause recording which I definately CAN do whilst recording. Surely the timeshift facility uses the same recording mechanisms as doing an ordinary recording, it must still save it to the hard drive even if only as a kind of temp file.
    Ian.

Because it has two tuners then it has the hardware to enable two programmes to be recorded at one time. Most twin tuner PVR's (but not all) do allow two recordings simultaneously but then you can't watch a programme as well (with some limited exceptions to that rule on a few PVR's). Technosonic have simply not programmed their PVR that way.

Colin
  • Double_R_2
    Options
    Hi There

I have just returned back to uni and had a friend purchase this item for me from Aldi. Have just set it up and am having different problems such as some highlighted in this forum. I havent had a chance to read through all 50+ pages so if anyone could highlight the main problems people are having with the box so that i can check and compare. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

From setting my box up, i have already had the lost signal problem that has been highlighted by many people and also i find that i cant just press the record button and start recording...is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family