PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

A good start to the month for me its a NSD :D .

We are getting very low on stock & DD panicking at the thought of no biscuits or sausages til the week end, but I've assured her it's not life threatening :rolleyes: .

Having analysed last months spending, I actually only spent about £140 on food, the rest was on toiletries & household cleaning stuff, so I really need to cut that down. I found last month quite stressful as my first challenge but I'm feeling more confident now. I havent done anywhere near enough home cooking / baking, I'm just so tired after work but will try to plan that into the week ends so DD can get involved too.

Good luck to everyone for the month ahead
    lula

PS - Brill idea for the recipe index - thank you to angelnikki for that
  • craftingqueen_2
    Options
    Hi everyone, this is going to be our first month on the GC, hoping we will be able to keep to the amount . Hubby and me checked how much we paid out last month ,it was a five week month for us. Did'nt think we did to badly it was £420. Love reading everyone's tips, thanks for letting me be part of this challenge.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
  • superflygal
    superflygal Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    Options
    Hey folks, I know it's a little tardy, but please can I join th challenge?

I have DH and DS as well as myself to feed.

I would like to set a £35 a week challenge for myself. I think i spend about £50 atm. Got 3 months with no salary coming up (on maternity lv).

SFG x
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Kind of following on from before.

I read that lots of you manage to use lots of coupons at each shop. Our T used to do this and Mr A used to let you have 10% of your bill. Now Mr A only lets you have what you've bought (self scan coupon things blocked off and you have to call an assistant). My local Mr T lets you have one 'freebie' coupon per shop (so I keep all mine in date order in my purse to make sure I use them before they go o-o-d, as they check each one carefully. Self scan only lets you have one too. The bigger Mr T in town doesn't let you have any. I don't think Mr S does either - so I don't have many opportunities to use them :-( And the cashier at my local Mr T today said she thinks they might bring in the same rule (ie no 'freebie' coupons - purchases you haven't actually bought) soon too - apparently some companies have queried volume of coupons taken in to products sold.:( :(

Does anyone else have restrictions in their supermarkets? We have a Mr M t'other side of town, but I never go there and have no idea on their policy.

Oh yes - our Mr A doesn't give free yeast either - although it is HO policy, I'm led to believe - the store manager doesn't agree in it:mad:

Gt
    somewhat dismayed to have spent 1/4 of the budget already - in a 5 week month:eek: :eek: :eek: Although I have enough bread flour to last for several months:rotfl:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Nsd yesterday:j - can't you tell it doesn't happen very often:rotfl:

Well I have now paid off my credit union loan as of today so now to attack the other ones. I have my interview for my redeployment tomorrow so I'm getting nervous now, I've been given lots of advice by one of the managers where I work at the moment but I just hope I haven't forgotten it by the morning:eek:

DD2 has started her new job this week - she is training at the moment to be a coffee barista so when the cafe opens on friday OH and I are going to turn up for a try out as we head off to Norfolk for the weekend:D

It has been very hot here today - I've been working in a building with no opening windows, lots of glass and a swimming pool so getting in the car and driving off with the windows wide open was a great relief.

Will be doing a shop at Asda later tonight when I go to pick up DD1 from work so will have spends to add later.

Good luck everyone and hugs to MrsM and family.
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Mrs_Money_Penny Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Had a NSD today so that's 3 in a row. Am going to try to beat that next week. Have Mr T's delivery tomorrow evening. Tonight I am going to meal plan for the next 2 weeks. On Thursday evening I'm going to have a baking night. Have a good evening everyone.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • Sunny_Donny
    Sunny_Donny Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    2 NSD's for me!!!
    Have cooked tea, made 1 batch of twinks hobnobs - spared one to the neighbour who now wants the recipe, banana cake just out of the oven cooling and weetabix cake in the oven. When I have some space on the counter I'll make another batch of twinks and freeze the lot before I go to bed as needed for a party on Saturday. Made 30 so far but 50 coming to the party. Think a few will be heading to work with OH and me tomorrow.

Will need to go shopping on Thursday for veg for coleslaw so hanging out til then.
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    I have added up my June spends and it came to £146.86p but I shopped on Sunday (30th) and spent £60.80p. Now I don't know if I should count it as part of June when it was spent or July when it will be eaten. As my target is £200 per month any ideas what would be the better way to play this please.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • Judellie
    Judellie Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, first day of the month and spending already!!
    £18 in mrA and £4 on school lunches.
    Thanks to whoever posted about the fajita a few pages back - sorry can't remember who it was - did it tonight,beerchug.gif it was absolutely gorgeous, so simple to do. Thank you.

Jude xx

ps. Please can I declare June at £405.56speechless-smiley-040.gif
    GC June: £350/405.56
    GC July: £350 spent
    [STRIKE]£22[/STRIKE]99.51
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone
    :beer:
    I have just made and eaten pasta bake with some campbells mushroom soup and I added peppers and onions it was very nice.:j I did wonder what to do with the mushroom soup. :confused: I think I read of someone doing that on here and remembered some of it but I didnt know it tasted that good will make some more soon:T

talk soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport