PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No offers

My husband and I are getting divorced.
I moved out of fmh in 2017 and the house has been on the market since May 2018

The house was originally valued at 575,000
We are now on our second estate agent

First agent we had 60 viewings
We are now on 40 viewings with the second agent

Husband initially did not want to sell but realised it has to as he is unable to buy me out
Price is now 535,000 and was reduced to this in June this year

We had one offer of 525,000 which my husband rejected. However the potential buyer hadn’t sold their property so this didn’t go further anyway
It’s being marketed as a four bed. It was originally 3 but we had a loft conversion
But although it’s a four bed the living space on the ground floor is not suited to a family of four. It’s a bit top heavy.

It’s obviously overpriced but my husband refuses to lower price anymore.
The last drop from 550,00 to 535,00 was done after I threatened him with the courts if he didn’t reduce price.

He is saying brexit is stopping people buying but there are houses around us selling
He has agreed to 50/50 split via solicitor and on paper he’s doing the right thing by selling the house but it won’t ever sell at this price.

It’s starting to look a bit run down which breaks my heart. The kitchen looks awful.
It could do with new cupboard doors. I did suggest this but he keeps changing his mind about getting this done. I would go halves with the cost of this.
The whole house needs updating tbh.

Not sure what to do. I need my equity so I can go buy somewhere else. I’m renting at the moment and my rent is much more than the mortgage.
Please don’t suggest I move back in. This definitely cannot happen for reasons I cannot go into here.
Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Take him to court to force the sale at a lower price.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Excellent response Dave, I'm not sure who or what Diocletian II motives are, but I'm finding it difficult to post on some threads as he , again has posted in !!!! womblish again .
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, many more posters do seem to be coming round to the realisation that property prices are now falling. But many still find it difficult to tolerate a narrative that is different to their own property-price-pumping narrative, which is really just an indiction of control freakery.

PS OP, try to avoid lawyers, they are blood-sucking vampires.
  • Yes, many more posters do seem to be coming round to the realisation that property prices are now falling. But many still find it difficult to tolerate a narrative that is different to their own property-price-pumping narrative, which is really just an indiction of control freakery.

PS OP, try to avoid lawyers, they are blood-sucking vampires.

Get a life!
  • System
    Ditto to you. Whenever price falls are mentioned, you just can't handle it, and you attack the messenger.
  • Get a life!

I'm trying so hard not to feed the troll !!!!
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    He reduced the price when you threatened Court previously.

Can you do the same again and even make the first moves?

It could be a game of who blinks first if he is not motivated to sell and wants to stay - life is relatively easy for him staying put and prolonging the stalemate so he's waiting you out. You might have to really show you're serious and out of patience to shift him by starting the legal ball rolling.

Who does the viewings? Is he putting everyone off? Could you change that aspect, perhaps get a couple of offers.
  • Is he paying you rent for your half of the house to live there?
  • System
    To some posters here, anyone who mentions price reductions is simply a "troll", which just shows the former are a property-price-pumpers. They just cannot cope with anyone who mentions price reductions.

Let's talk about the price reductions, since it is obviously something some want to pretend is not happening.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 September 2019 at 9:12AM
    You really need to force the issue in a much more robust and direct way...your ex is very happy living where he is and the situation could continue indefinitely or until he becomes motivated to sell.

I've no doubt that the housing market may be slightly jittery at the moment but that doesn't mean that properties are not selling.

The fact that there has been interest in viewings means its sparking interest with purchasers so that's not the issue,the issue is transferring that interest into offers.
    The fact that you had what could be considered as a reasonable offer, albeit not proceedable at the time would probably also mean that your price at the time wasn't far off the mark.

My guess is that if you were to perhaps drop a little more to reflect the condition of the property at present then you could easily secure an offer.....your sticking point is your ex and he knows that too!

I cant offer any advice other than to take this to the next level and again force the sale,it is a game of cat and mouse and unfortunately your ex will go nowhere until either he decides or is instructed to do so.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills