Ex boyfriend borrowed money

Options
Hi guys
I don’t know if this is the right place to be posting but my ex boyfriend borrowed some money (we’re not talking £20, but not a massive amount ) and arranged to pay it back every month. So far I’ve got £100 back. He’s saying he doesn’t have the money to pay it back every month as agreed except I know he does, he is just wasting it on himself and his new girlfriend. Is there anything I can do practically or legally to pressure him into starting to pay back any of the money because I have not saved up to give my money away to charity cases.

Thanks in advance

Slinkysquirel

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have proof it was a loan to be repaid you can take him to small claims.

Otherwise not a lot.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    Why do we so rarely hear about boys lending girls money and not being repaid?

Move on, and don't EVER lend anybody money. GIVE it if you can afford to. If the friend pays you back it's a bonus, if they don't you're not disappointed.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, and thank your lucky stars he's an ex-boyfriend..
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome to MSE.

You don't specify exactly how much the debt is - the options you have is small claims court or forget about it and move on.

If you opt for court then there's some information in this thread you may find helpful
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5866297
    post #29 lists alot of the practicalities and costs of court.

I wish you all the best
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have to agree, you have 4 options
    1. Chase him for the rest of it and hope you can convince him to do the right thing.
    2. Write it off
    3. Small claims (or other court proceedings if it's too big to be small)
    4. Judge Rinder.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    Options
    When you received the £100 repayment, did it come with anything that indicated it was a repayment for a loan? Any text message? Any reference on the bank payment?

Judge Rinder is a great option of you have some evidence that he acknowledged that you lent him some money.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I have to agree, you have 4 options
    1. Chase him for the rest of it and hope you can convince him to do the right thing.
    2. Write it off
    3. Small claims (or other court proceedings if it's too big to be small)
    4. Judge Rinder.
    1a Publicly shame him by hounding friends and family in the hope they see your side and apply pressure.

As you say small, but not £20, and paid £100 (you don't say if that's one installment. So I assume several hundred or a couple of thousand was lent to him?

The options are limited, as has been said. Small claims involves costs, but you also need to factor in can you prove he has to repay and the timescale. What if he says it was a gift, or that it was agreed he repay as and when (no timescale) or that he has repaid in cash. You also have to think that even if you won, he may decide to not repay still and you need to take further action
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    Judge Rinder is a great option of you have some evidence that he acknowledged that you lent him some money.

...and if the ex-boyfriend wants to appear on TV, I assume.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    ...and if the ex-boyfriend wants to appear on TV, I assume.

There is no guarantee their application to be on the show would be acknowledged either, I am sure there are thousands of people waiting to hear from ITV.

The most practical option would be to ask his friends and family, which someone else has suggested, as it can sometimes help with initiating guilt or make them feel inclined to do "the right thing" and repay the debt.

Aside from that, unless you know in your mind, as we do not have much detail from your post, that you have sufficient evidence to prove it was borrowed and not gifted, I wouldn't go to court as it can end up costing more than what the debt is worth. As I said, if you can prove solidly that it was a borrowing arrangement, then it could be worth a shot in a claims court.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • Tyler_A._Freeman
    Options
    You need at least some kind of confirmation that you gave him money in debt or that he gave you some of the debt, otherwise a couple of hundred bucks is not worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure