Feedback on Utility Point

Options

Comments

• Streaky_Bacon
    Streaky_Bacon Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 January 2020 at 3:42PM
    Options
    I recently switched from a dual fuel tariff with Utility Point to separate suppliers for electricity and gas.

The electricity switch completed on Dec 8th and the gas switch completed on Dec 14th.

The last time I provided readings direct to Utility Point was Dec 1st, and then I sent the opening readings to the new suppliers as requested.

Utility Point emailed soon after the switch started, to acknowledge that it was in progress. They also zeroed my DD, as I was over £150 in credit at the time.

However, I have now received a bill for the period Dec 4th to Jan 3rd, using estimated readings, and being charged a standing charge for the full period, which puts my account in debit.

The gas part of the bill does actually include the opening gas reading I gave to the new supplier as a "actual" reading on Dec 14th, but then still bills me to Jan 4th with an estimated reading (so they have clearly received that figure from the new supplier/validation).

I'm assuming that this is just automated and that I will receive a proper final bill in due course, but it's not a very impressive way to go about things.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm assuming that this is just automated and that I will receive a proper final bill in due course, but it's not a very impressive way to go about things.

Yes, it will get resolved with a new final bill. These clowns also took 2 extra DD payments after my contract ended so beware.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    gas switch completed on Dec 14th.
    Done the same as you but my gas switch took 3 weeks (new supplier gas reading marked as "Dcopening" today - reading looks estimated by the Dc...but not far out.); we'll see by the 15th whether UP ignore this or not...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    Swipe wrote: »
    Yes, it will get resolved with a new final bill. These clowns also took 2 extra DD payments after my contract ended so beware.

Thanks I'll keep an eye on it.

I did cancel the DD a few days back, just as general housekeeping, as I have plenty of credit to cover any final bill, so I'll have to make sure they don't set it up again.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have plenty of credit to cover any final bill, so I'll have to make sure they don't set it up again.

After my account had been closed, they were expecting me to send my banks details via unsecured email to them for my owed credit (£30 compensation due to late credit refund after final bill). But I didn't fancy a one hour wait on the phone so insisted on a cheque which they informed me would take 3 weeks to arrive!! Which it indeed did.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 January 2020 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Looking to refer a friend to Utility Point and performed a quote on their website. I am slightly bewildered by what they call "Starter Payments" and I can see why new customers might be easily put off.
    Your guide to how this works.
    • How we calculate your starter and saver payment amounts
    • We start by calculating your forecasted annual energy costs then divide this by 12: this provides your average monthly payment amount, we then adjust it for the time of year. We take a little more during the beginning of your fixed period (Starter Payments) which allows us to forward buy your energy providing you with a market leading tariff and ultimately this means we can charge you less during the second half of the fixed period (Saver Payments), saving you money when it matters.
    • Your Starter Payments are taken for the first 6 months and your Saver Payments are taken for the last 6 months.

UPPayment-Illustration.png

The above example illustrates the payments during the course of the next 12 months one would expect, based on the information provided and a start of supply in January. The above is for illustration purposes only and whilst it shows a 45% increase in the earlier months it can vary depending on the tariff selected.

Breaking it down in this way enables us to buy your energy ahead and ultimately over the course of the year provide you with market leading competitive tariff.

The average payment amount is £50 (£600 / 12 months = £50).

To calculate your Starter Payments we increase the average payment amount by 45% in this case: £50 × 145% = £72.50

The Saver Payment is calculated in a similar way but we reduce your average payment amount by 45%: £50 × 55% = £27.50

If you add up all the payments over the course of the year the payments made equal total energy charges. 6 × Starter Payments (£72.50) + 6 × Saver Payments (£27.50) = £600.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    niktheguru wrote: »
    I must say I have not had any significant problems with utility point.
    I have had gas and electricity with them for a year and theyve been helpful and accurate on the whole.

I have just moved my electricity to "Green" as they were cheaper now my fixed tariff ended, this transfer occurred on the 23rd dec, It all happened seemlessly, I received an email from utility point ackownledging I was switching and "approving" the switch, my direct debit for electricity has stopped, it all seems faultless. Just awaiting the final bill now.

I have also just done a utility point to green switch but still got a further bill from UP after the switch - hopefully they will issue a 'final bill' at some point which will tie in with the 'opening' readings used by green
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 January 2020 at 10:41PM
    Options
    I am due a bill tomorrow from UP when it jumps up to the higher 6 month rate in Jan DD my tariff also ends today. I just jumped ship to Green switch as well. I am around £162 in credit minus bill but new DD comes out on 10th and my bill probably be around £140 ish
  • imcat
    imcat Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They ignore your annual consumption figures you provide when you sign up and arbitrarily add 20% to them to get your direct debit figure and then after 6 months increase your direct debit again by another 20% for no good reason.

And then when I wanted to switch to their latest tariff which is cheaper than my current tariff with them even with the early exit fee (still worth it) they wanted increase my direct debit even higher!!! Crazy. And the refused to budge and use actual usage figures.

Needless to say I have a big credit on the account which judging by what other posters have said will be be difficult to get back.

It sounds like they have cash flow problems which combined with deteriorating customer service does not bode well for the future.
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    Swipe wrote: »

I have now received my final bill, just less than 5 weeks since my switch completed. So, not exactly quick, but within the 6 weeks.

The figures all seem correct, and the closing readings match with my new suppliers' opening readings, so all good.

Now just waiting for my refund (and keeping my eye out for any further DDs as Swipe suggested).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback