Barking mad relatives!

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Oh fgs, Elinore AND her lodger sound like really nice people. Trust someone to try and take it down a dark route. They both acted thoughtfully and kindly to Wee Lass, and any criticism belongs totally to the Aunt, and Wee Lass to a lesser extent.

I'd agree with this, although I still maintain the lodger was very naive.

I have every belief that the OP is genuine, which is what I think the post you quoted was alluding to.
  • Gloria_Steeth
    Gloria_Steeth Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 April 2019 at 8:29AM
    Options
    Deleted.

(Had thought this was a spoof story as it seemed too far-fetched to be believable but it appears to be genuine. Sorry OP.)
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe now is the time to point out that Elinore headed this thread "Barking Mad Relatives".....which would explain the behaviour of her relatives?
  • agent_f
    Options
    I never fail to be surprised by the nerve of some people... Seriously, how do people become like this in the first place?! I'd be so embarrassed to ask for 'free holidays' or similar, it's such a bizarre thing to do! I guess at least they don't lack confidence XD
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A couple of years ago, my OH and I had a call from my dad, who announced that he and sis were coming down to visit us in a couple of weeks time. I told him that we were going on holiday then and that we would be back four weeks from now.
    It was very rare of them to ever visit us, so I was surprised that he really went off at me, saying that I was selfish and that I should have let them know that I was going on holiday. I said that we don't normally ask permission to go on holiday, and he put the phone down on me.
    Half an hour later my sis phoned us and far from apologising, she went off at me as well, saying I never thought about other people and then she put the phone down on me.
    I have worked out, that in life if you keep helping people then sooner or later they will take advantage, and they will also be nasty when you stand up to them.
  • JayJay100
    JayJay100 Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    I only found out last year that I have a half brother in one family and two half sisters in another; getting to grips with the family dynamics has been a mix of fascinating and terrifying. The variance in what is considered to be acceptable in any given set of circumstances is huge. I can fully imagine my youngest sister doing this without a second thought, and, even worse, not understanding what she's done wrong.

Well done for the way you have handled it.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I disagree with your thread title:
    Your Aunt is not 'barking mad'.
    She is a rude, thoughtless, presumptuous person.

Not to mention deeply stupid. Only an idiot would put their daughter on a bus to go stay with someone else without first checking if they're actually going to be there when the daughter turns up.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    Not to mention deeply stupid. Only an idiot would put their daughter on a bus to go stay with someone else without first checking if they're actually going to be there when the daughter turns up.
    And even though the OP has described the uninvited visitor thus:
    Elinore wrote: »
    the wee lass was barely a legal adult, rather shy and seemed genuinely baffled why she had been ushered on a bus.

I'm surprised that someone could be that naive and malleable not to question being put on a bus to stay with an unknown relative.
    If the wee lass is wanting a career in modelling she'll need to wise up pdq to avoid being taken advantage of.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, my OH and I had a call from my dad, who announced that he and sis were coming down to visit us in a couple of weeks time. I told him that we were going on holiday then and that we would be back four weeks from now.
    It was very rare of them to ever visit us, so I was surprised that he really went off at me, saying that I was selfish and that I should have let them know that I was going on holiday. I said that we don't normally ask permission to go on holiday, and he put the phone down on me.
    Half an hour later my sis phoned us and far from apologising, she went off at me as well, saying I never thought about other people and then she put the phone down on me.
    I have worked out, that in life if you keep helping people then sooner or later they will take advantage, and they will also be nasty when you stand up to them.
    I presume you are no longer in contact with them and they subsequently never apologised?
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is this kind of thing that reminds me of the joys of being a singleton!
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport