New Post Advanced Search

Barking mad relatives!

242 replies 51.7K views

Replies

• That is nuts!!! The aunt must have lied, I'm sure that most people wouldn't just turn up on someone else's doorstep?
    Very strange! Also well done you for the honour in you field :-)
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elinore
    I remember your previous threads about various family issues.

I disagree with your thread title:
    Barking mad relatives!
    Your Aunt is not 'barking mad'.
    She is a rude, thoughtless, presumptuous person.
    Elinore wrote: »
    Family do these things for the family I was told.
    Who told you this and when?
    And what was your response?
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear heavens! I thought my lot of (cherished but at a 200 mile distance) eccentrics were a bit of a handful.

Family do indeed do things for family but usually by negotiation as force majeure can cause Issues that last for generations.

Rousing congratulations, keep enjoying the volunteer stuff & have you considered a camera so you can see if you recognise the caller before opening the door?! (Very well played ensuring young lady & child were equipped with all essentials & that they had returned safely.)
  • What a relief to actually read someone on here not spend weeks hand wringing and putting up with the visitor as they made free with your home, food, and handy baby sitting availability. I practically cheered when I read you put her on a train the next day.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • cheskychesky Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Short of arriving en masses and invading your home, I'm not really sure what they can actually do. Block them from Facebook or whatever, put the phone down or block their calls and buy your mum a great Mother's Day present, as she's going to catch the flack.
  • ttolittoli Forumite
    825 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I had something very similar after I lost my Parents and so had the house to myself , long lost family turned up as they'd made themselves homeless due to their darling sons drug dealing , I lasted a week before asking them to leave, have not heard a peep from them since then.
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    5.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Families ! When we moved from Armed Forces married quarters into our own home (edge of a National Park) one of my aunts rubbed her hands together and said 'ooh - lovely - free holidays!'
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Families ! When we moved from Armed Forces married quarters into our own home (edge of a National Park) one of my aunts rubbed her hands together and said 'ooh - lovely - free holidays!'

And I'm sure you disabused her of that notion. :)
    What was her reaction?
  • ouraggieouraggie Forumite
    165 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Well done,OP. I am gobsmacked that the aunt and niece thought that was ok.

We own a holiday home in Spain that my brothers and the rest of the family know nothing about, otherwise I know they would expect me to lend it free to them or my nieces (with their kids and mates) for a fortnight. If they ever saw it i know they would be full of sarcastic digs about the decor, furniture, lack of satellite TV/pool/nightclubs and other stuff that they would consider essential. But we love it.
    I bet they could afford a much bigger and better villa themselves.....if they didn't waste money left right and centre on buying the latest TVs, phones, etc.

However, they are still family and I would help them out if I was asked. I guess you weren't asked, merely expected. That makes it different. Well done for sending the niece back.
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is it with families that think they are entitled to what others in the family have, seemingly without any element of give and take.

Whether that be space, money, property or time.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j