Barking mad relatives!

242 replies 51.8K views

Replies

• AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Tell aunt you cannot afford to have niece and baby living there for free. Ask
    aunt would she mind sending you x thousands of pounds upfront so you can afford to do so.

What if they dont want "wee niece" and baby living there and providing free childcare to boot?
    Any reason given, as others have said, gives them something to bite on and come back with an argument against. "no" with no reasons, doesn't give any foot in the door.
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow...just wow!!!

They aren't just barking, they are howling at the moon!!!

A short, sharp NO is in order, escalated to FO if that doesn't sink in.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If FO is too blunt, how about

Dear aunt

Thank you so much for sending the five year plan. The answer's no, as I have a five year plan of my own which is incompatible with yours.

Yours

E

It would be tempting to draw up such a plan involving freeloading on her, but she might get excited at the thought of you living back nearby.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • RobisereRobisere Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    "No. I will never, ever accept this girl and her baby living here."

And mean it.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elinore wrote: »
    Received an email from Auntie...
    Ps - its very detailed and much more involved that just what's mentioned above.

Actually, I've changed my mind...
    If she brings it up again....What e-mail?
  • edited 2 May 2019 at 6:54PM
    kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2019 at 6:54PM
    How about emailing back with a 'email address not recognised' mail
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    How about emailing back with a 'email address not recognised' mail

The risk of ignoring the email is the relative could turn up on the OP's doorstep and put the OP in a position. Needs a firm and blunt, even rude response stating no and the reasons why and rhetorical questions as to why OP should have the burden.
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 285 AFDs 2020 - 159 AFDs to end of July
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1768.10/£1750
  • edited 3 May 2019 at 12:29PM
    ElinoreElinore Forumite
    259 posts
    edited 3 May 2019 at 12:29PM
    Ummm, further email today asking if I have any thoughts and would it be better if they came down for a weekend to talk the whole thing through.

They then suggested a short itinerary with some planned visits in London.

I was going enjoy my bank holiday weekend and to leave it till Monday evening to go back to them but I think I best nip this in the bud tonight.

(from a comment made in the email - I genuinely believe they think we are rolling in it, not helped by the caravan fiasco and just have the lodger for 'company' rather than money, so wee lass can fill that role)
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elinore wrote: »
    Ummm, further email today asking if I have any thoughts and would it be better if they came down for a weekend to talk the whole thing through.

They then suggested a short itinerary with some planned visits in London.

I was going to leave it till Monday evening to go back to them but I think I best nip this in the bud tonight.

And don't answer the door if they turn up on your doorstep despite being told you're not getting involved in their scheme!
  • breaking_freebreaking_free Forumite
    429 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    This is by far my favourite thread at the moment. Long may it continue :D:T
    "The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864