Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mike997 wrote: »
    Well, if they don`t want my 60k savings, someone else will get it.

Hello - I will look after it for you :j
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, seems like HSBC hasn`t got good opinion here LOL. I was just trying to open the Advanced Current account with them, as I need to split my savings that I have got on Lloyds account to be below 85k money protection limit. They rejected my aplication and said that they can offer me Basic account and are not able to answer why it has been rejected.
    They're able to answer that but just not willing to!
    Well, if they don`t want my 60k savings, someone else will get it. I won`t go to FD either, as they are a part of HSBC anyway.
    Why would you put £60K of savings with HSBC or FD, or Lloyds for that matter? There are many better homes for it, as per https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/, but don't expect any bank to be dropping to their knees in humble gratitude that you've graciously decided to bestow your savings pot to them, that really isn't how it works!
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I, too, approve of Santander online. During the monthly shift-around, the fact that their payee list includes amount last paid and when paid means that I can steam through about 25 payments in about 10 minutes and, if my concentration lapses, the "when paid" gets me back on track.

Transactions per minute, not minutes per transaction...;)
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2019 at 2:30PM
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Why would you put £60K of savings with HSBC or FD, or Lloyds for that matter? There are many better homes for i

Exactly. It was the few years earlier this millenium when HSBC fixed rate savers offered competitive rates that was the aberration. 0.85% maximum - huh!
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    I, too, approve of Santander online. During the monthly shift-around, the fact that their payee list includes amount last paid and when paid means that I can steam through about 25 payments in about 10 minutes...

That is exactly the level of organisation that I need! Time to bite the bullet and do it, then. Do we know how fussy Santander are about accepting new customers for their 123 Lite account? I don't usually have problems with being accepted, but you never know.
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • userdefinable
    Options
    OK I'm confused, I've just signed up with HSBC as recommended by this website for the £175, it says it ends on Monday. However, it doesn't say anything about it on the HSBC website, so I think I've really messed this up. Is the information on this website horribly out of date?
  • Mike997
    Mike997 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    They're able to answer that but just not willing to!

Why would you put £60K of savings with HSBC or FD, or Lloyds for that matter? There are many better homes for it, as per https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/, but don't expect any bank to be dropping to their knees in humble gratitude that you've graciously decided to bestow your savings pot to them, that really isn't how it works!

Don`t get me wrong, I am not expecting HSBC`s CEO to come directly to me from Hong Kong. My point is that if a bloke with crystal clear history goes to them, is able to tick all the Advanced Account boxes (Premier too to be honest) and they show him the middle finger without any reason, something is not right.
    I am the customer and I am a solid one, so such bank should be interested to get me rather than ignoring me, especially that once you are with one bank, you rather don`t jump every month to other one but you are with your bank for a long time.
    Anyway, NationWide didn`t have any objections at all, account opened straightaway, with 5% interest on first 2500 and 1% after. Just waiting for the card.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don`t get me wrong, I am not expecting HSBC`s CEO to come directly to me from Hong Kong. My point is that if a bloke with crystal clear history goes to them, is able to tick all the Advanced Account boxes (Premier too to be honest) and they show him the middle finger without any reason, something is not right.
    I am the customer and I am a solid one, so such bank should be interested to get me rather than ignoring me, especially that once you are with one bank, you rather don`t jump every month to other one but you are with your bank for a long time.
    Anyway, NationWide didn`t have any objections at all, account opened straightaway, with 5% interest on first 2500 and 1% after. Just waiting for the card.
    Banks do a lot more than just look at your credit files when they determine whether they want you as a customer. Their criteria for which type of customer they are looking for keep changing. You were just unlucky that you didn't fit the pattern HSBC were looking for at the time. HSBC are known to be picky, you aren't the first one being turned away.

As an aside, you still haven't explained why you'd have £60K in HSBC or Lloyds or Nationwide?
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Don`t get me wrong, I am not expecting HSBC`s CEO to come directly to me from Hong Kong.

Good.

Because he works in their global headquarters in Canary Wharf in London. :whistle:
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am the customer and I am a solid one, so such bank should be interested to get me rather than ignoring me
    You clearly see yourself as some sort of catch, over whom banks should be falling over themselves - you're no doubt seeing HSBC's rejection as their loss, and they won't exactly be heartbroken at missing the chance of a lifetime to snare a player, so everyone's happy!

Enjoy your 1%....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure