PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to live very near chester, did my shopping there, in the market and the small shops. Was very heavily pregnant, very large and with a pushchair plus two toddlers, heavy shopping and the buses suddenly stopped running. I had to walk all the way home, don`t know how we did it. Had a nice architect designed house in our budget, large garden and a pantry and wonder of wonders, a downstairs toilet. Next to nice solid council houses and a row of police houses on the other side. I liked chester
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It is definitely worth contacting the GP if you can, because sometimes an infection (often a urine infection) can worsen the symptoms of dementia.

UTI's in older people can often present dementia-like symptoms of confusion.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Softstuff

These maybe useful:

social care
    services provided

xx
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We thought my MIL may be going down the dementia route as she seemed to be getting confused. Blood tests discovered vitamin B12 and Vit D deficiency. She was given a series of injections and has improved a lot. Her diet isn't very good, lives on microwaved meals, as she can't be bothered to cook for herself anymore (in her 80s).
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hugs softstuff, what a nightmare for you.
    We are now at Woolhampton and totally knackered, I've had a shower, cooked a quick meal and all I'm fit for is my bed, and only to sleep.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Camelot, I was born a few miles from Chester, went to school nearby and worked right in the city centre for several years. I loved it! Hope you get chance to explore and enjoy the area :)

Welcome back SuzieC!

Another who used to live in Chester - i lived just off Hoole Road. We loved it there and didn't want to move away, but OH's job moved and staying would have denied him any chance of promotions, we felt we were too young to settle. Camelot - have you walked the walls? that's always good.

Wonderful day today - a walk in the hills was in order. we could see snow on the tops of some (currently i am in West Wales) but the sun shone on us for a lot of the day.

Back to the grind tomorrow.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    softstuff can't add any more advice to the helpful suggestions given already just wanted you to know you are in my thought and hope your mum can get the help she needs xx
    Welcome back Susie
    Hope everyone had a good Easter Sunday xx
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 April 2018 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Softstuff not to decry other's suggestions I get the impression you are extremely worried as would most of us be in your situation. Quite true with infections even small ones. I noticed on Monday when I started with a hay fever type reaction to us starting sorting stuff. I noticed my self forgetting things when I was at my worst for sneezing and runny nose.

This sort of hay fever is a reaction to us disturbing the dust of things we have had stacked in boxes. I have cleaned like mad this week but I can't keep up.

Social services is where a call to the Red Cross will end up. Social services are
    closed until Tuesday anyway, they will have their own urgent things to deal with after being closed for the weekend.

The red cross have people on standby all over the country for emergencies. They deal with a family once everyone if out of the house in the case of a fire and they deal with this sort of thing. They would go out to your mum and assess the situation.

They may call the doctor, she may go to hospital for an assessment, they would then have a better idea of the problems. Your mum would most certainly get assigned a local volunteer to regularly visit her. Social services take weeks to make assessments in normal times but with the cuts they all have they are very reluctant to start something they cannot complete.

They would expect you to fly over (as if you are in the next town) and sort it and then them to come in and arrange a permanent car package. This is why elderly people are getting left in hospital not just for a few extra days but the weeks have stretched into months. Social services have never been adequately funded because government interferes all the time.

I hope you are asleep now Hester, and feel better in the morning.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and you are not too bored camelot.

Welcome SuzieC
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Hope and trust that something will be sorted out for mum SS xxx
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm in Upton VJsMum, the church is on Hoole Road, only took me 20 mins to walk there. I've walked the walls years ago, must do it again, thanks.for the reminder!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback