PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LameWolf It's really lovely to see posts from you on here, so please don't be shy about joining in with another thread, unless of course it's simply too tiring to post on here as well x:)
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    HJ, I had a head who walked in on his first day, met with the support staff and then gave the office manager a list of the people he wanted to get rid of, all female and all over 50! I had a mortgage to pay so hung on in there for the entire 7 years of his headship! It was a total nightmare, everyone else on his list went within 2 years. You have my sympathy.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Hopefuljoy
    Hopefuljoy Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lamewolf and Nursemaggie thank you!!

I am slowly getting there and in time the mental bruises will heal. I've had 2 breakdowns in my life and I think I may finally be learning that even if I think I have the brains and stamina to do a demanding teaching role really I don't!! So shopping delivery here I come and I will see how that turns out.

I have done my budgets in CAP and also YNAB and they are squeaky tight! Fortunately I have a modest amount saved to cover 5 months of essential expenses if I become ill again and I'm not going to touch that at all.

Dogs and cats are incredibly healing for me Lonewolf too. My daughter and I have 3 cats and a Yorkie who keep me busy! There is no partner/husband here which has created enormous pressure on me. I've been frantically job searching while ill although in some ways it has done me good. It's going to be so nice to do a job that I work hard at and then leave at the end of the day. Teaching is all consuming!

I look forward to your doggie tales Lonewolf. It was very kind of you to come out of lurkdom!

Islandmaid you are right about mental health. I've always been 100% open about it although I don't think it has helped with my recent manager who regarded it as a huge weakness and a personal affront! I shall put that behind me though and determinedly look forward!
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2474 post cat wee catastrophe!

Fashion on the Ration 55 coupons available in 2022
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    Lamewolf ...Also wanted to thank you for your openness about your mental health - I think we should be discussing mental health in the same vein as physical health, if you broke a leg, you would be offered help and support, what's the difference with a nervous breakdown or similar.

I don't personally know anyone that hasn't had some form of mental health issue in their life, from my post natal issues, my DH lost his dad at 4 years old and it has its effects somethimes, to my good friend's grief over the loss of her mother who she was so close to, my kids having gone through bullying and the 'loss' of their father when we divorced and he 'forgot' he had kids for a few years, happily he saw sense, but the pain that caused was heartbreaking x

I've said that same thing several times - most especially when both myself & DH have had problems with employers & colleagues who don't "see" MH issues.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Been MIA the last couple of days so first of all huge hugs for Softstuff. You've had lots of really good advice from chums with experience of the care processes so hope you can get a satisfactory out come for your Mum that will give you some peace of mind.
    Welcome to Hopefuljoy - plenty of caring support on this thread and no criticisms.
    Nice to 'see' you LameWolf
    Monna - hope you get charged up soon ;)
    Hester - hope the rain keeps off long enough to for you and CHS to get where you need to be.
    Mardatha - stay warm - how's the RV??.
    Spent yesterday hull cleaning, DH did the minor repairs and did the anti foul ready for the season. She's looking very smart now (got to keep standards up for our visit to Monna this year) up early today to slave in the galley for our charity jumble. Cooked enough bacon for 80 odd bread rolls and made about £200 towards a fund for getting the littlies on the water. Everything left over from the jumble bagged and distributed to various members for them to donate to their favourite charity. Now home to cook dinner! Shant need rocking tonight!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    RV seems to be ok now silvasaver, thanks xx. Back to his normal ratty big self!
  • Hopefuljoy
    Hopefuljoy Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are all so nice that I have had an emotional funny turn about it! It is so wonderful to meet you all. xx Off for a snooze for an hour before thinking about dinner.

Thank you all for making my life brighter today. xx
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2474 post cat wee catastrophe!

Fashion on the Ration 55 coupons available in 2022
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    I have a bipolar daughter and it's been a struggle to get her the help she needs at times.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Softstuff wrote: »
    Aww Cranky, thank you. She has friends there who are keeping an eye on her now I believe, one promised me if she thought she was unsafe, she'd just bundle her to hospital.

Truth be told, I daren't call today. I've spent the whole of the day on the verge of throwing up, incredibly panicky and anxious. I haven't eaten anything all day because my stomach has been in absolute knots. Aiming to manage some dinner. Tomorrow I have to start calling and see where I can get to. Anything I do though will be against her wishes, that much I know.

I can never figure out the various time zones across OZ but if you're sleeping I hope you get some respite from the worry . It could well be a uti , low vitamin and mineral levels or that she hasn't the energy to cope .

You've had good advice , a long bank holiday here isn't the easiest time to summon assistance but tomorrow should prove helpful .

I'm not sure if she has any blood relations in the UK who can support her but at least she has good neighbours to keep an eye on her .

Try to breathe slowly and see what the phone calls bring .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hester did your daughter manage to sort the " job training " command while working three jobs ?
    I haven't caught up on your blog so hope you enjoyed the rest of the trip and the ankle is much better now .

Welcome to Mehefin , Suzie C and Hopefuljoy .

Ivyleaf Do you have a head torch by any chance ? It may help until you sort out something re reading the screen .

5.50pm here and I'm about to put the lights on :eek: It has rained solidly all day and the light is fading fast .

I'm glad the RV is returning to his usual ratty self Mar ( you wouldn't have him any other way ) As for your 5lbs weight gain , I noticed you were leaning on your own garden fence recently . Has anyone counted the sheepies since , just asking :cool:
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure