Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! - Page 535

New Post Advanced Search

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
11.5K replies 1.1M views

Replies

• IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    (((Hugs)))) Softstuff remember even the strongest and most independent people need support occasionally x

The menfolk are working today, I have to give DD and her BF a lift to the ferry later this morn8ng, then the rest of the day is my own.... I will just catch up on some housework, make some soup for work lunches and do some paperwork for DH's business.

Dinner tonight with either be Spiced lamb hotpot (Sabrina Gahyour) with the LO roast lamb or an all day brekkie, whichever we don't have will be dinner tomorrow :)

Enjoy your bank hol Monday x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • ivyleafivyleaf Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aw Softstuff :( i'm so sorry sweetheart. May I suggest having a word with your own GP about your stomach? I had similar a while ago due to anxiety about a worrying situation, and was prescribed something to calm my stomach down and stop me feeling sick. It was then much easier to cope with the rest of it. xx

Welcome Hopefuljoy, how lovely to have you with us :) Good luck in your new job.

All for now, still got no lamp to light the keyboard - it wasn't the bulb or a fuse, the wires have burnt out in the base. In the meantime I've got an IKEA lamp with a rather pathetic pygmy bulb, and it's not helping much at all.
  • HopefuljoyHopefuljoy Forumite
    405 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

Softstuff I had a thought about your relative. We thought my Dad was starting dementia last year but on investigation he wasn't drinking enough water. He was worried about going to the toilet too much in the night and he reduced his intake of water to less than a pint a day. And had a "finger" of whisky before going to bed. No that mum has banned the booze and forces him to have 2 litres of water a day he is fine. Any infection like her chest infection can also cause a lot of bewilderment as well. I hope you and your family find that it is a simple issue like that.

I am so glad to be out of teaching as I was working 60 hours per week and still working in the mythical long holidays. I burned out aka had a nervous breakdown and collapsed in a hyperventilating heap at work, mercifully not in front of a class. It was the second time it happened and was because of a comblnation of the workload and a bullying manager. She has targeted anyone over 50! Nice lady!

Thank you for the suggestions about private tutoring which I will build up to as my confidence returns. I am marking for two exam boards this summer so that will really help the financial situation and give me a buffer to save.

Happy Monday everyone and thanks again for the welcome. x
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2000 Penny a day ***, mortgage overpayment this month ***
  • juliettetjuliettet Forumite
    722 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Thinking of you Softstuff. Please take care of yourself.
  • SoftstuffSoftstuff Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Aw Softstuff :( i'm so sorry sweetheart. May I suggest having a word with your own GP about your stomach? I had similar a while ago due to anxiety about a worrying situation, and was prescribed something to calm my stomach down and stop me feeling sick. It was then much easier to cope with the rest of it. xx

I've already planned to make an appointment with him for early this week. Though I'm not actually sure he can give me much for that, since I already take a version of anti-sickness meds on a daily basis as part of my stomach meds. But, if there is a way he can help, he surely will.

Thank you all again, you're my virtual family.

I'm sorry I haven't welcomed you properly Hopefuljoy, you're very welcome here, it's the nicest place on the internet.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • HopefuljoyHopefuljoy Forumite
    405 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thank you Softstuff! Don't worry I am low maintenance and your welcome has been lovely. I hope you get the right help for your stomach. I have been through a prolonged bout of anxiety and it plays havoc on my internals too! Not pleasant at all so I really do sympathise. x
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2000 Penny a day ***, mortgage overpayment this month ***
  • nursemaggienursemaggie Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefuljoy Welcome. You sound as if you are recovering and looking forward to your new life. Anything you need to know about living on a lot less we are all here to help.

softstuff I want to give you a real hug and not just a virtual one. I wish I was nearer to be able to go see your mum for you. I'm so glad you have someone to do that.
  • LameWolfLameWolf Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefuljoy I don't often pluck up courage to post here, but I just wanted to offer virtual support - I've had two major mental breakdowns myself, and, long story short, had to retire from work at the age of 41 due to both that and physical disability/health issues.

In "another life" I was a Finance Officer; nowadays I supplement my disability benefits via my husband and myself being a Carer Family for a dog-sitting service - which is also beneficial to my mental health!

Anyways, what I'm going the scenic route to saying is give yourself time to gather your wits and your strength, and see where you go from there - whether it be private tutoring or, as I did, a complete change of tack.

I shall shut up and retire back to lurkdom now - promise.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lamewolf I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say we love your tales (or should I say tails) of you furry visitors x

Also wanted to thank you for your openness about your mental health - I think we should be discussing mental health in the same vein as physical health, if you broke a leg, you would be offered help and support, what's the difference with a nervous breakdown or similar.

I don't personally know anyone that hasn't had some form of mental health issue in their life, from my post natal issues, my DH lost his dad at 4 years old and it has its effects somethimes, to my good friend's grief over the loss of her mother who she was so close to, my kids having gone through bullying and the 'loss' of their father when we divorced and he 'forgot' he had kids for a few years, happily he saw sense, but the pain that caused was heartbreaking x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    All I know is that if ANTI WULFI retires from OSdom a certain Lurcha of our acquaintance will rapidly return from the realm to whence he has gone to chase spirit bunnies with all his passed over pals and round her up and bring her back again.....LW don't take the chance, you know what sort of mayhem would happen if he comes back, Oh no, stay here it's safer xxx.