We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    where did you get them from baggins?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From a wyvale garden centre. I tend to get a few seeds every year from there if I remember as they reduce everything to 50p around the end of August. Some of the packets were priced at nearly £4 original price which is crazy.

I also got a few strawberry planter sets for the kids and wildflower mix boxes which were also 50p.

Normally I just get tomatoes and a couple of other packets but this year I went a bit mad as after years of dreaming of a smallholding we have moved somewhere with the space for me to grow lots.

I think all the wyvales have been sold now so will be getting my seeds from elsewhere next year!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    baggins11 wrote: »
    I think all the wyvales have been sold now so will be getting my seeds from elsewhere next year!

Hello. I'm normally just a lurker on this thread, but I had to chime in when I read the above. All the Wyvales have been sold? I didn't realise they were in difficulties. What have I missed? (They're our local, decent garden centre.)

Many thanks.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Hello. I'm normally just a lurker on this thread, but I had to chime in when I read the above. All the Wyvales have been sold? I didn't realise they were in difficulties. What have I missed? (They're our local, decent garden centre.)

Many thanks.

- Pip

Not sure if all have been sold but Dobies have bought the one near us. There was a lot of (financial) chatter last Autumn when they were put up for sale suggesting there were vulture funds circling (to no doubt go for housing development) and a suggestion that they might retain some. Certainly they seem to have sold 1-2 to one buyer, 2-5 to another, suggesting this is part of the solution. They were the biggest, with over a hundred (maybe 150) nationally. They still have a web-site up and running.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • baggins11
    Options
    It will be interesting to see what happens to the ones that have been sold going forward as the ones I go in always seem to be busy. I am still getting my garden club vouchers through so don't know how long that will last. I just hope they keep the afternoon tea deals as we enjoy that now and again. Drool over the expensive plants then eat lots of cake..
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've noticed for a couple of years there seem to be changes going on - For example I used to use DT Brown as my first port of call for seeds, then they stopped free delivery, then order fulfilment seemed to change dramatically, then the free seed labels (emphasis on plural) - which used to be a nice bunch of labels, has in the last year been reduced to exactly two - every time

(think I'm on a steroid downer today)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    Options
    baggins11 wrote: »
    Drool over the expensive plants then eat lots of cake..

My kind of plant shopping! :rotfl:
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March 2019 at 6:11PM
    Options
    Hey gardening chums,

I've been busy in the garden again but failed to post. I've read all your interesting goings on and it sounds like we're all doing well. :T

I have done a bit more digging but it's all just about done now. The fruit bushes from T and M have all taken really well, whether in the ground or in pots. Just one raspberry cane hasn't shown any life yet. When they were delivered I had to double check the packaging to find the seed packets so make sure you don't throw away the packaging if you can't find them. They may be lurking somewhere.

The peas have gone outside under the polytunnel. They are looking very healthy. The toms are looking good too but I'm not so sure about the leeks. I've never grown them before and they look very small and thin. I've potted them on so I'll wait and see if a little more room helps. Yesterday I planted a load more seeds. More toms, leeks and peas, chillies in three varieties, peppers in two, carrots and two types of lettuce leaves. The back lobby in my house is tricky to navigate at the moment! They are all sat by the glass doors and floor length Windows so light isn't an issue. It's very exciting to see all the little green shoots. How uplifting gardening can be.

My rhubarb is also looking good, lovely deep pink and fresh bright green. Yum yum.

The onion sets have started to poke through on the patch. I'm really pleased because they've been through silly high temps in Feb followed by snow and torrential rain. And thank goodness the winds have died down. I can't bare to nail down the plastics on my shed roof yet again!

I'm still loving all your news. I have little pictures in my head of the progress each person is making as they post their next steps. Lovely:)
  • baggins11
    Options
    That's fabulous Slowdown - sounds like you are getting lots done. My leeks sound similar to yours - like spring onion seedlings very thin. I assume that is how they should look but someone will let us know if not.

I have had one of those days were events are conspiring against me. I was so delighted that my netting had arrived for my beds that I stabbed myself with a sharp pair of scissors trying to get into the bag. Bled a crazy amount for a hand wound and it really hurts. It was one of those moments that you look back and wonder how you could be so silly.

Anyway I bandaged myself up and got my hoops and netting sorted and managed to plant my first bed! Half was garlic and half shallots. They had been growing in module trays in the greenhouse but really needed to go in.

Went back in the house for a cup of tea and one of the dogs had ripped open a bag of flour and there was mess all over the kitchen floor. Both sat there looking innocent but only one had a white nose!

Hoping to do my red onion and first early pots this weekend. Will try not to stab myself again in the process.

Happy gardening everyone
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, the leeks will look very thin and reedy for a bit. Watch out for leek rust and moths when they get bigger. Rust looks like it's name, and the moths eat into the white bit at the bttom and they start smellling off, with small gnawed bits.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure