Economy Energy raising gas unit charge by 88%

Options

Comments

• Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Ok people... an update to follow from my above post. I've been in contact via webchat with EE.

Their agent stated in query of why social media platform accounts gone:

"I'm truly sorry, there was a company decision to use other platforms such as live chat/customer service line."

In query of the price rises on what welcome pack says was a fixed deal I was surprised at the reply after days of people being told the very opposite in social media:

"I can assure you The Switch Saver welcome pack you received will be honoured"

Agent goes on to confirm no imposition of price rises indicated in the recent email.

He was quite definitive (implying he had been clearly instructed on how to respond to the matter).... I'd be interested if others contact them and get the same information. It would be a major u-turn by the company in response to a backlash by customers including having to take down their social media accounts to avoid further damage.

I retain transcript of the conversation - why do I get the horrible feeling I'll be needing it.

Thank you, Muttley, for this update.

It sounds as though they may have sought their own counsel or have come under pressure following consumer action and coumsumer referral to other agencies. Until I receive a satisfactory response to my formal complaint, I am continuing to pursue other avenues.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • g33za
    g33za Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok people... an update to follow from my above post. I've been in contact via webchat with EE.

"I'm truly sorry, there was a company decision to use other platforms such as live chat/customer service line."

In query of the price rises on what welcome pack says was a fixed deal I was surprised at the reply after days of people being told the very opposite in social media:

Agent goes on to confirm no imposition of price rises indicated in the recent email.

He was quite definitive (implying he had been clearly instructed on how to respond to the matter).... I'd be interested if others contact them and get the same information. It would be a major u-turn by the company in response to a backlash by customers including having to take down their social media accounts to avoid further damage.

I retain transcript of the conversation - why do I get the horrible feeling I'll be needing it.

Will be interesting to see if they have decided to perform a u-turn however at this stage I think I'd maintain my switch to another provider, just not worth the hassle and given they are prepared to lie and blame the customer this does not fit well with a company i wish to hand my hard earned money to.
    ummm...
  • Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Options

Thanks for the update, I'll online chat them tomorrow. Meantime I've had a response from the ombudsman to say they may be able to consider my case and asking for more info..... Something else on my to do list for tomorrow.
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Thanks for the update, I'll online chat them tomorrow. Meantime I've had a response from the ombudsman to say they may be able to consider my case and asking for more info..... Something else on my to do list for tomorrow.

Thank you for your response.

Indeed, the Ombudsman is very ready to engage and has provided me with a case number.

I have responded by way of a succinct email setting out the matters in legal form with the attachment of the Welcome Letter which is an entire legal agreement for a fixed price contract with end dates and with a price guarantee. I have also attached the notice to amend prices, e.g. seeking to impose upon the client an increase in the gas unit price by 88%.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Muttleythefrog
    Options
    I have called off the ombudsman in my case... I again spoke to the same agent online (I had hoped to get another one... if there is another one!) as yesterday to get corroboration of 'message' which I cannot see anyone else reporting anywhere.

I suspect it comes down to individual negotiation with EE... and maybe that's why they've shot down their public posting... some will take the hikes.. some may just leave. But today agent stated

"I can assure you your account has been highlighted to my manager
    who has escalated and promised to honour the fixed tariff for you."
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Thank you again, Muttley. Well done on getting through to them!

My representations to the Economy Energy front office were rejected out of hand, and the front office refused to escalate on the basis that "it's a variable price contract and that's the end of the matter". So my protestations were rejected whereas yours have received an encouraging answer.

I instigated the formal complaint process by email and then mailed the full contents of the email to their office by Special Delivery so that communication cannot be denied. I would expect a response within 10 working days.

The Ombudsman was ready to engage despite the complaints process being incomplete, so I will follow that path until I receive a satisfactory personal reassurance from Economy Energy that I can forward to the Ombudsman to record Economy's compliance if it is forthcoming. I am waiting to hear from my MP, OFGEM and the press.
  • wrinx
    wrinx Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2018 at 6:30PM
    Options
    I ve received an email saying sorry and they'll honour the original welcome pack even though it was a mistake!

[FONT=&quot]We're sorry...[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hello XXXXXX XXXX [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Last week we wrote to inform you that our Switch Saver tariff would be increasing from the 7th October 2018.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We have since become aware that in a small number of cases, including yours, the 'welcome pack' contained an error and stated that the prices were fixed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We would like to apologise for the error and any confusion this may have caused.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]You do not need to take any further action and we will ensure you remain on the agreed tariff.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Please see details on the below of your estimated annual cost. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Switch Saver Tariff[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Current prices until 04/06/2019[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Electricity[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Standing Charge (pence per day)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]22.05p[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Unit rate (pence per kWh)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]11.58p[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Gas[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Standing Charge (pence per day)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]29.4p[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Unit rate (pence per kWh)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2.102p[/FONT]

Not sure what to believe now...so I cancel my transfer or tell 'em to shove it!?

I wonder if they underestimated the number of people leaving?

wrinx
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    I have received no such email so my campaign continues.

If there is only a "small number of cases" then Economy Energy can be fairly relaxed by the outcome.

When I used the switching agent for the switch, I selected FIXED-ONLY, so it is more than an error in the Welcome Letter. I would not have switched to a variable tariff.
  • wrinx
    wrinx Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Annoyingly, I've just started the transfer to Bulb and they've announced an increase in prices already!

I'm going to ring EE in the morning and find out if they're sticking to this or just trying to prevent people leaving only to shaft customers again in a month's time. I don't trust this lot at all!

wrinx
  • Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Lifes_Grand_Plan Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 September 2018 at 10:21AM
    Options
    wrinx wrote: »
    I ve received an email saying sorry and they'll honour the original welcome pack even though it was a mistake!

[FONT=&quot]We're sorry...[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hello XXXXXX XXXX [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Last week we wrote to inform you that our Switch Saver tariff would be increasing from the 7th October 2018.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We have since become aware that in a small number of cases, including yours, the 'welcome pack' contained an error and stated that the prices were fixed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We would like to apologise for the error and any confusion this may have caused.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]You do not need to take any further action and we will ensure you remain on the agreed tariff.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Please see details on the below of your estimated annual cost. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Switch Saver Tariff[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Current prices until 04/06/2019[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Electricity[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Standing Charge (pence per day)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]22.05p[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Unit rate (pence per kWh)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]11.58p[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Gas[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Standing Charge (pence per day)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]29.4p[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Unit rate (pence per kWh)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]2.102p[/FONT]

Not sure what to believe now...so I cancel my transfer or tell 'em to shove it!?

I wonder if they underestimated the number of people leaving?

wrinx

Wow, that's great news for you, but strange that I and others on the same boat haven't had the same. Was that message in response to a complaint about the change? Had you contacted them about the increase at all?
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure