Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• QuestionRequest
    Options
    After much toing and froing (more doing on my part than that of Easyjet) and leaving messages on Facebook and Twitter (still no reply to date from the CEO of easyjet via Resolver either!) they have come back with a ridiculous quote that doesn't cover half of the food claim and nothing for the accommodation claim. Since 2nd December when I responded to their silly offer and asking why they were not paying for the accommodation and only 1/3 of the food claim.....no response!!!

Really fed up now and this has been going on since 9th April 2015 so its ridiculous its taken this long. I claimed for the following:

Extra Car Hire costs (cheaper than taxi) Euros 100.00
    Food (4 people for 4 days) Euros 339.20
    Petrol Costs Euros 44.04
    Dog Kennel fees for extra days £80
    Accommodation in Resort £500
    Taxi from Stansted to Luton (original departing Airport) £94.50
    Car Parking costs (overcharged at Luton for overstaying pre-booked period) £74.00
    Refreshments on arrival at 1am Stanted £12.30

They have offered to pay for the following:
    Food Euros 180.60
    Car Hire and fuel costs Euros 80.00
    Taxi from Stansted to Luton £94.50

That's it!!! I asked for a breakdown of food and how they got to this amount and why no accommodation.....where were we supposed to sleep or stay during our 4 day delay? No response. I have tried quoting the "Duty of Car EC Regulation" blah blah blah but they just ignore me hoping I'll go away....which I wont. I want what is fair and square especially after this appalling treatment and disgusting length of time and me having to persue them just to get an answer and to get my money refunded.

Where do I go from here?????
    Somebody please advise????

Hi,
    Thanks for your response. I have laid out all the claims individually every time I contact them. Even if the 2 that may form consequential loss are taken out of the equation its still just over £1,000 and they do not respond and fob me off when I call them and actually finely get through after waiting on the phone for 30 mins plus every time.
    Also, my travel insurance I had at the time of travel expired in May (after the journey) and I did not renew via them but an alternative company. Can I still claim via the insurance company 7 months after the incident as obviously I sent everything to Easyjet as obviously it was their fault we were delayed for so long in Palma?
    Many thanks.
    Alison.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Petrol Costs Euros 44.04
    Dog Kennel fees for extra days £80 - not Easyjet responsibility - travel insurance?
    Car Parking costs (overcharged at Luton for overstaying pre-booked period) £74.00 - not Easyjet responsibility - travel insurance?
    Refreshments on arrival at 1am Stanted £12.30 - not Easyjet responsibility - travel insurance?

Food Euros 180.60

Car Hire and Petrol - claim £144, paid £80. - I expect this may be due to their responsibility for transport being limited to getting you from and back to the airport so your travel insurance may pick up the additional costs incurred by having use of the car for 4 days
    Accommodation does look like an error. What was actually agreed at the airport on the day? - I could see them potentially rejecting a claim if they had arranged accommodation for you but you made a choice not to use it and instead arranged somewhere else
    Food - was there any alcohol on the receipts? - there is no requirement for airlines to include alcohol in duty of care and most don't.
  • mfl394
    mfl394 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    windmill26 wrote: »
    Just got a letter from Luton Court.They are not willing to move my case to a Court closer to me.So Luton it is!

My experience in Luton County Court against easyJet last October was good. The lady Judge gave the impression that she saw quite a lot of Mr Nicholas of easyJet and was not overly sympathetic to his arguments. In fact, when he failed to produce his witness from Flight Operations she told him to get the witness to the Court forthwith. Mr Nicholas failed to do so and she therefore struck out easyJet's defence and gave me judgement.

I was annoyed at having to go to Luton but at least you may get a Judge that has a good understanding of the issues and what counts as Extraordinary.
  • windmill26
    Options
    mfl394 wrote: »
    My experience in Luton County Court against easyJet last October was good. The lady Judge gave the impression that she saw quite a lot of Mr Nicholas of easyJet and was not overly sympathetic to his arguments. In fact, when he failed to produce his witness from Flight Operations she told him to get the witness to the Court forthwith. Mr Nicholas failed to do so and she therefore struck out easyJet's defence and gave me judgement.

I was annoyed at having to go to Luton but at least you may get a Judge that has a good understanding of the issues and what counts as Extraordinary.

Thank you for your post! I am a bit worried because I never been to Court and I am a bit scared but I think that Easyjet behaved in a despicable way from the start and I don't want to give up on the claim.
  • zzx
    zzx Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    in court with Mr. Nicholas in early feb. flight was cancelled due to adverse weather at Gatwick earlier in the day.
    At scheduled time there was no bad weather and flights took off on time.

Easyjet argue that the particular aircraft designated for my flight was too late due to earlier delay.
    further they claim that 2 standby aircrafft and 2 standby crew had already been sent to other airports to cover other flights in France caused by bad weather and so there were no planes or crew available.

The court bundle from EJ is full of flight timetables and re arranged schedules to back this up.

I argue that this is several pages detailing EJs operational decisions. Further there is no evidence to show their attempts to hire a plane or crew from other airlines, using all of their resources short of intolerable sacrifices.

Any advice welcome.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zzx wrote: »
    in court with Mr. Nicholas in early feb. flight was cancelled due to adverse weather at Gatwick earlier in the day.
    At scheduled time there was no bad weather and flights took off on time.

Easyjet argue that the particular aircraft designated for my flight was too late due to earlier delay.
    further they claim that 2 standby aircrafft and 2 standby crew had already been sent to other airports to cover other flights in France caused by bad weather and so there were no planes or crew available.

The court bundle from EJ is full of flight timetables and re arranged schedules to back this up.

I argue that this is several pages detailing EJs operational decisions. Further there is no evidence to show their attempts to hire a plane or crew from other airlines, using all of their resources short of intolerable sacrifices.

Any advice welcome.

Hi zzx,

I think you're thinking along the right lines.

Firstly and most importantly. Regardless of the contents of their bundle the primary point is that your (daughters) flight was not directly affected by adverse weather. That fundamental point alone should convince the judge to find in your favour.

Secondly, they have informed you what they did do, and that seems to be very inward looking, you should now strongly make the point that there was so much more they could have done. Ask them to show what enquiries they made to lease another airlines aircraft, placing passengers onto alternate flights, prioritising passengers with special requirements, etc etc

I still doubt this will go as far as court.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • christopherd
    Options
    Our flight was delayed more than three hours from Catania. This was because a cabin member of the crew was ill and could not come to work. We were taken onto the tarmac and 25 people could not travel. All the boarding cards were collected and we were told they would select at random those who could get on. After 30 min this was abandoned and the whole flight cancelled till a new flight crew person was brought in. I would consider this not an extraordinary circumstance and within the issue that a commercial operation should be able to resolve.

here is the email.

Dear Mr. Darby,
    I am very sorry for the inconvenience that has been caused following the delay of your flight to London Gatwick on the 13th of September 2015.
    I would like to reassure you that this kind of situation is exceptional, since easyJet does everything possible to meet the expectations and needs of our passengers. Whenever there is a delay of a flight, we understand that this causes disappointment but the safety of our customers is our primary concern.
    Having reviewed the details of your flight EZY8568, I can confirm that the reason for the delay was crew shortage. This event would be classified as “extraordinary” under EC Regulation 261/2004. In this situation there is no compensation payable, as the circumstances which led to the flight delay were outside our control. We have provided a document on our website entitled ‘Notice of Rights’, which clarifies the policy surrounding EU Compensation.
    More information is available on our website:

what do you think any precedent?
    chris d
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 January 2016 at 8:50PM
    Options
    A judge has ruled that ‘crew sickness’ is not one of the extraordinary circumstances airlines can use as a defence against paying flight delay compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004.

The judgement was handed down today (29/05/2015) at Staines County Court in the case of Davies V British Airways PLC. District Judge Beck ruled in favour of Eric and Carole Davies, awarding the couple €800 (approximately £310 each) for a delay of 3 hours and 51 minutes on a flight from Catania to London Gatwick in 2012.

You have a valid case read Vaubans guide and get claimimg
  • QuestionRequest
    Options
    Can somebody advise what I need to do now as Easyjet are just ignoring me but before I go on the Legal Action Route that I have now threatened Easyjet with....is there anything else I can do such as going on Martin's programme or Watchdog or similar, giving Easyjet a figure I would be happy to accept, Contacting local Media, etc, putting on their Easyjet FB and Twitter Page again or do I really now just need to send a legal letter to Easyjet to get a better offer of compensation than the one I have been offered?

After much toing and froing (more doing on my part than that of Easyjet) and leaving messages on Facebook and Twitter (still no reply to date from the CEO of easyjet via Resolver either!) they have come back with a ridiculous quote that doesn't cover half of the food claim and nothing for the accommodation claim. Since 2nd December when I responded to their silly offer and asking why they were not paying for the accommodation and only 1/3 of the food claim.....no response!!!

Really fed up now and this has been going on since 9th April 2015 so its ridiculous its taken this long. I claimed for the following:

Petrol Costs Euros 44.04
    Dog Kennel fees for extra days £80
    Car Parking costs (overcharged at Luton for overstaying pre-booked period) £74.00
    Refreshments on arrival at 1am Stanted £12.30

Food Euros 180.60

That's it!!! I asked for a breakdown of food and how they got to this amount and why no accommodation.....where were we supposed to sleep or stay during our 4 day delay? No response. I have tried quoting the "Duty of Car EC Regulation" blah blah blah but they just ignore me hoping I'll go away....which I wont. I want what is fair and square especially after this appalling treatment and disgusting length of time and me having to persue them just to get an answer and to get my money refunded.

Where do I go from here?????
    Somebody please advise????
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As per my response to your earlier post...
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69537007&postcount=1692
    Kennels, Parking and Refreshments on arrival are for your travel insurance and not the airline
    Was there alcohol included in the food costs? does that tally with the amount excluded?
    I expect they have reduced the car hire as you had the benefit for 4 days
    Accommodation should certainly be covered

Personally I would concentrate on the accommodation costs which is clearly their responsibility under EU261 duty of care (assuming they did not arrange and pay for accommodation elsewhere that you chose not to use - in which case they could argue they met their duty of care)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback