MSE News: Ryanair 'sticks two fingers up at passengers' with new card fees

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Ryanair will make it even harder to avoid fees by only waiving the £12 charge for passengers with the airline's plastic ..."

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vote with your wallets; if everyone stops flying with Ryanair they will be forced to mend their ways.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    There's plenty of other airlines who will happily ke the business from Ryan Air, any incentive to fly with them despite being herded like cattle is rapidly being deminished as their flights get more and more expensive. I know I'll be looking at other airline options. Ryan Air is biting the hands that feed them.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• FATBALLZ
    FATBALLZ Posts: 5,146 Forumite
    Options
    Everyone knows this is how ryanair works, this isn't a story. It was obvious that once enough people got the obscure electron card they'd switch the free payment mechanism to something else.

If you don't like it don't use them. They won't miss you.
  • KTM_Gordo
    Options
    Everyone moans about Ryanair, but people still fly with them. People like 'cheap' - they're obsessed with low price.

We know that Ryanair add £6 to each flight, plus a fee if you want to actually fly, but if they fly where we want to go at the right time and for a price we are happy with, we'll still fly Ryanair.

Yes, the card fees are unfair but they're hardly a secret.

If you don't like it, fly with another airline, take the ferry or book a coach - all of which charge card fees.
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    FATBALLZ wrote: »
    They won't miss you.

One day, they will have their Ratner moment. Maybe it's today?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really don't care whether the price of the flight is £30 or £24+£6 fee or £1+£29 fee. However, the fee must be clear at all stages of the booking (i.e. as soon as it starts talking figures).
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    KTM_Gordo wrote: »
    Everyone moans about Ryanair, but people still fly with them.

I'd rather crawl to my destination than fly with Ryanair. This isn't snobbery just a demand that companies respect their customers. No respect, no custom. End of.

• Money-girl_3
    Options
    I just got Prepaid Mastercard especially to use when paying for Ryanair tickets! I have used it only once so far. I can't believe they are changing the rules again! I wonder if you have to pay a fee to obtain this new Ryanair card. Ryanair is really discouraging me from buying their services.

On the other hand they are still one of the cheapest services. It's just very annoying when you about to buy cheap tickets and they add up compulsory fees. It's NOT like it's going to make a difference but it's just annoying!:mad:
  • latinaid
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I really don't care whether the price of the flight is £30 or £24+£6 fee or £1+£29 fee. However, the fee must be clear at all stages of the booking (i.e. as soon as it starts talking figures).

In a way I agree with you BUT the point is that the fee should be exactly that - a fee for choosing to pay in a certain way.The OFT have said that there should be one way of paying which enables the buyer to avoid a fee. It's clear that Ryanair don't consider this a fee, but part of the ticket price.

Personally I find low-cost airlines very stressful, and am willing to pay a little bit more so that I don't have to keep discovering new hoops to jump through.
  • maz1964
    maz1964 Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hiya

well unfortunately to the south of italy they are the ones that have direct flights, but this year we drove and though it was 1600 miles each way it was refreshing and soooooooooo much cheaper for our family and we brought back more stuff so fab really for us and now

so with all these other charges now and only able to take 15 kilos baggage allowance, cheerio airline, we are driving to italy from now on

fly with them if its convenient otherwise vote with your bookings elsewhere

cheap is only cheap if its also convenient to you

ciao maz
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 1525

"Knowledge is the Power to get Debt Free":j

Truecall device, stops all the unneccesary phone calls - my sanity has been restored and the peace in the house is truely priceless!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure