Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    He wants to go and be a cowboy ! He can’t ride a horse so no idea where he means . He would be better going to Australia again, we have loads of relatives there . I don’t worry when he goes there.

Maybe he means a ranch where he could learn to ride and round up cattle? I guess he fancies a change of scene.

I won't worry as much this time, but I think I will always worryva bit :o.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hope you managed to stick within budget at Mr T's HHOD xx
    Mummytogirls x

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Great news about the additional work :T :T

Thanks jwil :) it was a massive relief as work was starting to run out.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hope you managed to stick within budget at Mr T's HHOD xx

My shop was £80 MTG which was £6 over, but I bought Nescafe reduced from £7.49 to £5. We didn't need it but I won't have to buy any for ages now. So I didn't do too badly :T.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    £6 over isn't too bad HH. I'm trying desperately to keep under budget this week, it's not easy.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    It's never easy SA :(. I only manage it if I cut out all the nice stuff. I don't buy juice, squash, biscuits, cakes, chocolate or any desserts. Mind you that does help the diet as well as the budget :D.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Sounds like a good investment on the coffee HHOD. I have a (mental) stock up price point for things like that, and that's when the budget goes out of the window. Teabags are my only remaining no compromise item, and I hate paying full price for them.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    It does seem sensible to get an item when it's reduced even if I haven't run out of it, but only if it's something I buy anyway. It should mean I spend less another time in theory.

I've got to watch those top up shops though, they're dangerous :eek:.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sounds like a good investment on the coffee HHOD. I have a (mental) stock up price point for things like that, and that's when the budget goes out of the window. Teabags are my only remaining no compromise item, and I hate paying full price for them.

Totally agree with that, redofromstart:T

I don't mind compromising on most things but never on tea bags. I'm a real tea addict and drink it quite strong with very little milk and no sugar. I can really taste the tea if you know what I mean. In the past I've been on the verge of running out and had to resort to a cheaper/untried brand because my usual are not on any kind of offer:eek:. I was usually glad when they were used up:rotfl:. Now, whenever I see my favourites on offer I stockpile them. I haven't had to buy any tea bags since November and what I've still got should easily see me through to the end of February:j:j:j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My DS only left the house to walk to the local shops for three years (apart from one family wedding) until he suddenly announced he was gping to America :eek:.

Reading that, HairyHand, I am full to bursting with admiration for your son. What an achievement to suddenly go all the way to somewhere like New Orleans (not just a package holiday where everything is arranged and accompanied) totally by himself. I've done a fair bit of world travel in my time (not in recent years alas:() and I know how daunting and sometimes scary travelling so far alone can be. It's so noisy and crowded,there's so much hustle and bustle and things to check and look out for before even getting there. It must all have been such a shock to him after his previously comfortably secure 'world' and he coped remarkably well with it.

Maybe it will be the start of him expanding his local horizons too, much further than the local shop anyway:beer:. If I were you and your DH, and please tell me to mind my own business if you are at all offended, I'd be doing all I could now (keeping the momentum of his trip going) to encourage him to interact with people more and be more independent. He definitely knows how to do it, he's proved it so well, and it would be such a pity for him to disappear back into his cocoon. He doesn't need to travel abroad to exert his independence.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback