Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Their deal looks interesting and no they have no traffic management at present.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/network-and-coverage/traffic-management/

Will certainly use their offers to haggle with Sky next time.

I'd be wary about that - simply because they're using Daisy to provide their service.

SSE also use Daisy and make similar claims about traffic shaping. In reality, though, speeds drop in the evening by as much as 80% - so much so that BBC iPlayer can be unusable.

It's not traffic shaping, they say. Simply lack of capacity. And if Daisy don't have sufficient capacity to handle SSE customers, how bad is it going to be once they've added Vodafone to their stable? And I use the word 'stable' advisedly. :)
  • Gordy82
    Options
    Ive been with Talk talk for years because they always gave me a good deal. However when i went to renew my package for tv Phone and broad band they had nothing to offer.
    I got a deal from Sky which i thought was excellent £27.40 for basic Sky tv, line rental, unlimited calls and fibre broadband all for a 1 year deal. I used to have sky tv but ditched them and went with talk talk last year. I have found out I have to pay £9 for delivery of my router but no big deal.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    iansp wrote: »
    I'm broadly happy with Plusnet - and the best Talk Talk can do is £26.45 + £50 fee. Which comes to £526.10 over an 18 month deal.

I can get 9.99 + 17.99 from Plusnet with no fee which comes to £503.65

I've tried to play the game a but - so I have bitten the bullet and signed up for another 18 months at £9.99. (£9.99*18=£179.82)

I have also paid line rental up front for a year, which reduces the price to £15.45 for 12 months then back to £17.99 for the remaining 6.
    (£15.45*12=£185.40 + 17.99*6=£107.94 Total=£293.34)

That gives me a total of £473.16 which /18 = £26.28 per month average.

As I also get £1.25 referral discount, this takes my monthly cost down to £25.03 and reduces the overall cost to £450.54.

I reckon that's as good as I can get at the moment for up to 52mbps plus evening and weekend calls.

NB: The link for existing plusnet users to get the £9.99 deal is here: plus.net/campaigns/recontract/FibreDualBBChange/2016fibre999

I'd try to do the line rental thing before it goes up in September...
    I'm looking for a broadband deal to recommend to a tenant who's on a Shorthold Tenancy. Would've recommended Plusnet except they don't seem to offer any decent deal with less than an 18 month lock-in.

BT have a 12 month offer, but has anyone heard of Tentel who offer a monthly rolling contract?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think Now TV does contracts with no minimum term although there's a setup fee. It's basically Sky line rental and broadband.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've seen that and it's a natural choice if you need Sky content, a bit expensive so I didn't recommend it so far.
  • brown123
    brown123 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    MoneyMate wrote: »

thanks, however my problem is not about cash offer

I want to switch from fibre to normal broadband and Plusnet would not let me do that

I don't want to switch to plusnet fibre as the deal is not good

I try to ask if anyone here has the experience to switch from fibre back to normal broadband
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    brown123 wrote: »
    thanks, however my problem is not about cash offer

I want to switch from fibre to normal broadband and Plusnet would not let me do that

I don't want to switch to plusnet fibre as the deal is not good

I try to ask if anyone here has the experience to switch from fibre back to normal broadband

Then why not cancel your current fibre and set up a new broadband with the new provider?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EE have released me from my contract so I need to find another provider. I have looked at BT Infinity 1 but have a couple of questions

1. Am I reading right that it's a 12 month contract for £28.99 per month and I get a £125 reward card and £116 Topcashback?
    2. Monthly usage is limited to 25GB. I don't actually understand what this means. I use the internet mainly for browsing, e mails and the occasional music download. Will I be OK?

TIA
    Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    flyer wrote: »
    EE have released me from my contract so I need to find another provider. I have looked at BT Infinity 1 but have a couple of questions

1. Am I reading right that it's a 12 month contract for £28.99 per month and I get a £125 reward card and £116 Topcashback?
    2. Monthly usage is limited to 25GB. I don't actually understand what this means. I use the internet mainly for browsing, e mails and the occasional music download. Will I be OK?

TIA

You'd need to check Topcashback for the first point, though it sounds about right.

On the second point, this might help: https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/broadband/guide-to-internet-data-usage
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's an interesting read. I didn't consider other people in the house using my internet allowance via wifi!!
    Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback