UK passport holders will require EU travel document from 2021

Options

Comments

• NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Precisely the same cover as a local
    Which may not be to the standard of the NHS in the UK which we take for granted.

Nor are public hospitals abroad likely to provide flights, accommodation and board for a relative to attend and stay with the patient during their treatment and recovery.

I suspect any Brits who take out travel insurance for the UK do so for cover of non health issues, such as compensation for cancelled rail trips or flights and lost luggage etc.

It can't be for medical cover in an emergency - as you'd be taken to an NHS hospital in any case.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    As someone who was hospitalised in Tasmania and finally flown home with my wife post op and recovery at the time of the Iceland ash cloud problems, for which my insurers shelled out almost £50,000, I'll carry on paying for insurance thanks!

Last time I looked Tasmania was near to Australia. Is it now part of the EU?

I would buy travel insurance if I was going to an EU country that had no hospitals or doctors or nurses. It reminds me of my wife who used to go mad about UK tourists carrying bags of nappies with them to Spain. "Yes they have babies in Spain too, she used to say."
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The fee is said to cover costs of security vetting and the like. OK, but it will not apply to under-18s and over-70s.

Huh! Why am I not a security risk? :p:D
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    What was the Fee on the Normandy Beaches on 6 June 1944?
    But lets not get in the way of progress.:(
    waamo wrote: »
    I find comparing paying £6 every three years to tens of thousands of people losing their lives in one of histories darkest hours rather disrespectful to their memory to be honest.

I read the comment from PompeyPete as saying that we shouldn't have to pay a fee to travel to mainland Europe because of the sacrifice made by the forces in 1944.
    I wouldn't call that disrespectful in the slightest.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    I read the comment from PompeyPete as saying that we shouldn't have to pay a fee to travel to mainland Europe because of the sacrifice made by the forces in 1944.
    I wouldn't call that disrespectful in the slightest.

I agree whole heartly nor do i think it it was one of histories darkest hours,without belittling the sacrifice made by many i think it was a triumph by the people of the free world.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,370 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2018 at 11:22AM
    Options
    What on earth does D-Day have to do with this modern day issue ?

Allied forces were liberating Europe well ahead of 6th June 1944 - as evidenced by the British 8th Army veterans in the song "D-Day Dodgers" after they had slogged all the way across North Africa, Sicily and into Italy long before the Normandy landings.

Rome was freed on 4th June 1944, for example.

Maybe we could get this topic back on course ?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is a tenuous connection. My dad got a free passport because of D Day.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2018 at 12:53PM
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    We always travel in Europe with just an EHIC card. I've got plenty of money in the bank though because I haven't wasted it on insurance over the years. You don't need an air ambulance - you just stay there. There is no point repatriating a dead body. Do people buy travel insurance for UK holidays?

Yes.

The money I have paid out in travel insurance over the years is probably only a few hundred pounds. It isn't that expensive. It might pay for a night or two in a foreign hospital.

It's actually paid for itself in non-health related claims.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Yes. It might pay for a night or two in a foreign hospital. It actually paid for itself in non-health related claims.

That is why you have an EHIC card. So you don't have to pay for a night or two in a foreign hospital. Do you pay for a night or two in an NHS hospital? Some people will receive more than they pay in but most won't. Insurance companies will always receive more than they pay out or they will cease trading.
  • Thomas_Crown
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    That is why you have an EHIC card. So you don't have to pay for a night or two in a foreign hospital. Do you pay for a night or two in an NHS hospital? Some people will receive more than they pay in but most won't. Insurance companies will always receive more than they pay out or they will cease trading.

An EHIC card doesn't mean that you don't have to pay for a stay in a foreign hospital. It means that you get treated the same as local people, so if they pay, you pay.

In France, you would pay, then claim a refund of 75% from the local CPAM office, using your EHIC card. You would still need insurance to pay the other 25%.

In other EU countries you may have to pay and not get any money refunded. It depends on the system in the country in question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure