PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• DryTheRain
    Options
    Mx how about oatcakes or ryvita as a bread back up? If you're aiming for dietary balance, a few tins of fruit wouldn't be a bad idea, or if you have time Polish shops sell large jars of cheap preserved fruit. It's also nice to get a few treats in if funds allow, a bag of popcorn kernels, bars of chocolate or whatever your favourites are, good for morale.

As others have said, this is outside of politics in many ways, it's about having a sensible buffer in case of illness, bad weather etc. As things stand it looks as though the EU will grant an extension, but definitely go ahead with that order, you'll feel much better for it :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 October 2019 at 10:19AM
    Options
    On a related but different note, went to a talk on the menopause yesterday & left with my view of HRT much revised. Yes it’s a very personal choice, but miword, to be denied it midstream can be pretty gruesome.
    Interesting that girls school o level biology never mentioned it, nor that short of dying young, every gel in the class would have to go through it.
    My bewildered appreciation of the endocrine system has upped another startled notch.
  • Mx_Emmin
    Mx_Emmin Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DryTheRain wrote: »
    Mx how about oatcakes or ryvita as a bread back up? If you're aiming for dietary balance, a few tins of fruit wouldn't be a bad idea, or if you have time Polish shops sell large jars of cheap preserved fruit. It's also nice to get a few treats in if funds allow, a bag of popcorn kernels, bars of chocolate or whatever your favourites are, good for morale.

As others have said, this is outside of politics in many ways, it's about having a sensible buffer in case of illness, bad weather etc. As things stand it looks as though the EU will grant an extension, but definitely go ahead with that order, you'll feel much better for it :)

Maybe, but I spent a good chunk of my grocery money on the store cupboard so far and I still need to eat until next paycheck, so we're probably starting to run up against the limit of my stocking ability in one month. Ryvita is definitely a good idea though!
    Follow my Budgeting Journey at Life After Debt
    Debt Free Roll Of Honour
    17/07/2020

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Wonder if we will lose all the lovely Polish shops after the B event? Another sad loss :(
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know this is from The Express but an anyone see how this might go pearshaped?
    Brexit-news-How-a-customs-union-might-work-under-Boris-Johnson-s-Brexit-deal-2122492.webp?r=1571728699198
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I know this is from The Express but an anyone see how this might go pearshaped?
    Brexit-news-How-a-customs-union-might-work-under-Boris-Johnson-s-Brexit-deal-2122492.webp?r=1571728699198

Didn't really want to negotiate the cookie monster at this time in the morning, but I think I know the story. They just didn't understand that putting a customs border in the sea still creates a customs border.

Or to put it another 'i'm very tired and slightly tetchy way' - if you flush a poo down the toilet, somewhere there is still poo to deal with...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • WeegieWumman
    Options
    Didn't really want to negotiate the cookie monster at this time in the morning, but I think I know the story. They just didn't understand that putting a customs border in the sea still creates a customs border.

Or to put it another 'i'm very tired and slightly tetchy way' - if you flush a poo down the toilet, somewhere there is still poo to deal with...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46988529

What does the Good Friday Agreement say about a hard border?
    A lot less than you might think. The only place in which it alludes to infrastructure at the border is in the section on security.
    (The argument appears to be about the SPIRIT of the agreement)
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46988529

What does the Good Friday Agreement say about a hard border?
    A lot less than you might think. The only place in which it alludes to infrastructure at the border is in the section on security.
    (The argument appears to be about the SPIRIT of the agreement)

A poo is still a poo, on a Friday or any other day

(...and I'll leave it at that I think)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Apparently, B&M have packs of 6 tins of Heinz Chicken soup for a £1. Plenty of date still on them, and the belief is that it is nationwide (rather than just one store). One of my neighbours is popping there today, so I've asked her to grab me some, if they are actually available at that price lol.

But, heads up, if you have one near you. Bargain to be had! :D
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • DryTheRain
    Options
    Woah six for a pound, what a bargain :-)))

Mx don't worry if you can't buy everything all at once, your list is a great start and once you have those basics it's fairly £painless to add in a couple of tins/packets when you're out shopping, gradually building your stores up if that's what you want to do.

For a bit of light relief, BBC's Prepper is back on iplayer/sounds and is very funny, with Pearl Mackie and Sue Johnston dispensing handy apocatips and squabbling quite a lot :rotfl:https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00026x4/episodes/player
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback