The Sewing Room

Options

Comments

• newbielou
    newbielou Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya everyone,

just to let you know ive just been to poundland in Lincoln and managed to get a rotary cutter, i've tested it on some lightweight cotton and some scraps of denim and it cuts through them like a dream. It might be useful for anyone on a budget like I am.

Danemi, are you the same as the one of UKS from years back, if so i was your secret santa a few years ago, nice to see you! :)

Amy
  • wam73
    wam73 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    sm1971 am a fan of your page now. Lovely items on folksy.
    Thanks newbielou Just need to find my nearest poundland now. In desp need of a rotary cutter and love a bargain.
    Would love to earn an extra £40 a Week. Trying to find ways to :-)
  • sm1971
    sm1971 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments and no, I'm not Minerva on ebay! Never thought to check there before I came up with the name! Oops.
  • newbielou
    edited 3 August 2010 at 2:55PM
    Options
    Hi, this sound slike a really stupid question but can anyone tell me which fabrics are stretchy, I know lycra and jersey but are there any others?? I want a go at making this dress http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=192457.0 but need to get some fabric to make it first.

Thanks x
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    Options
    newbielou wrote: »
    Hi, this sound slike a really stupid question but can anyone tell me which fabrics are stretchy, I know lycra and jersey but are there any others?? I want a go at making this dress http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=192457.0 but need to get some fabric to make it first.

Thanks x

It doesn't look like stretchy fabric though (or even that it would need to be made in stretchy fabric) - couldn't you make it with normal dress fabric?
  • newbielou
    Options
    I honestly dont know, the lady has put in her description that she used really stretchy fabric, I might try with an old duvet cover to see how that works before cutting into any of my others.

Ive made lots of little bits such as cushion covers etc and shortened dresses but never any clothing from scratch, this tutorial looks really easy so fingers crossed it all goes ok.

Thanks justamum x
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think it would hang right unless it was a really soft stretchy jersey fabric.

It's very pretty though.....I might have a play at making a top in that style for DD's to layer (they're very into layering clothes at the moment)
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • genieuk
    genieuk Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi, have actually gotten around to some sewing this week. Well hiding inside in the aircon as 40+ outside.
    4857433368_fcc8cce341_m.jpg

4857434770_c8c913e202_m.jpg

The drawstring bag and right hand doorstop are from a patchwork double duvet OH bought back from Uk for me, oh and a blue shower curtain
    for the lining.
    The black & white doorstop is from tea towels.
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • midge61
    midge61 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Wow lovely makes genieuk. 40 + it's been raining here lol
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    genieuk wrote: »
    Hi, have actually gotten around to some sewing this week. Well hiding inside in the aircon as 40+ outside.
    4857433368_fcc8cce341_m.jpg

4857434770_c8c913e202_m.jpg

The drawstring bag and right hand doorstop are from a patchwork double duvet OH bought back from Uk for me, oh and a blue shower curtain
    for the lining.
    The black & white doorstop is from tea towels.

Lovely makes :T
    Which tutorial did you use for the doorstop?
    Have been looking but can't decide which is best :o
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family