Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2018

Welcome to the new Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge thread for 2018.

It's not as crazy as its name might suggest and your budget can be as little or as much as you choose. There are no hard and fast rules as to what is included; some members exclude items for a specific occasion such as a wedding, while others may opt to include accessories or not. I've forgotten what I was including myself in previous challenges so do feel free to use the thread to post relevant notes to yourself if you think this will help.

Here are some ideas that members have used in the past:

- No clothes spend weeks/months
- Charity shop spends only
- Essentials only
- Spending only money made from selling on eBay etc
- Spending contingent on weight loss
- Simple monthly or annual budget
- A combination of two or more of the above

If you don't know where to start, then estimating how much you've spent on clothes in 2017 and aiming to shave 10% (or another percentage of your choosing) off of it may be useful. Anything you can save is a plus.

It's never too late in the year to join; you can work out what you would like to spend in a year and pro rata it for the months/weeks remaining of 2018.

Many of us found that even if we didn't spend as little as we wanted, we were putting more thought into our purchases - hopefully no more looking back and thinking, 'I don't know why I bought that top/pair of trousers/shoes' or whatever it may be.

If you would like to join us, simply post below and I will allocate you a number. If you have a preference, let me know and I will give you that number if it is available. I will try my best to add everyone as quickly as possible, but should I manage to miss anyone (say if you haven't had your number within 3 or 4 days) please pop me a PM and I will get you added.

Wishing you all a happy and successful 2018 :)

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 January 2018 at 1:31AM
    Challengers

1. Kim_13: £180
    2. FiscalPickle: £300 + £50 for each half stone lost up to a maximum of an extra £150. No spend months from January to April.
    3. try harder: New clothes only to be bought if weight lost.
    4. *Jellie* - £0. Making clothes.
    5.pinkfluffybabe: No spend months from January to March and £50 per month thereafter
    6. LLM2018: £10 per month, to include accessories. Sale items or charity shop only. Any money not spent goes into savings jar.
    7. MoneysavingmadGem: £120. Clothes must be bought from a charity shop or handmade
    8. Mrs Motivated, £400. Something in, something out.
    9. Elliesmum: £20 per month. Charity shop or sale items only.
    10. starting_again_in_the_sun: €30 per month with exceptions for sale items that are on the list and at least 40% off
    11. Eltee12: £250
    12. nannygladys: £15 per month (£180/year.) Aim for charity shop and/or making most items. Unspent money carried forward.
    13. Mrs Shazbat: No clothes unless sale, charity shop or dire emergency
    14. Miss D Meanour: £140
    15. ScotinLondon: Emergency spends only
    16. Florence J: £300
    17. Sayschezza: £250
    18. tgroom57: £100. No more than 5 items; must budget for dry cleaning.
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Please could i join in again in 2018 i was very happy with this years challenge i probably spent £50 in total and was lucky in that my children bought me clothes as presents for birthday and christmas .Thank you.
    In 2018 i shall only buy new clothes if i lose weight
  • Kim_13
    try_harder wrote: »
    Please could i join in again in 2018 i was very happy with this years challenge i probably spent £50 in total and was lucky in that my children bought me clothes as presents for birthday and christmas .Thank you.
    In 2018 i shall only buy new clothes if i lose weight

Hi try harder

Congratulations on a successful challenge.

I've added you for 2018 and given you number 3.

Kim
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’m in please- will take me a couple of days to work out my budgets/ rules etc for various challenges including this one.
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Kim_13
    *Jellie* wrote: »
    I’m in please- will take me a couple of days to work out my budgets/ rules etc for various challenges including this one.

Welcome back *Jellie*, will add you to the list and add your budget/rules at a later date. You are number 4.
  • Please can I join? My wardrobe is ready to burst with lovely clothes and I'm really bad at adding to it without thinking :eek:

I'd like to start with a no spend January - March and then no more than £50 p/m thereafter. If I stick to this, it would be a 50% reduction on 2017 spend.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 13/53 UU, 11 IN
  • LLM2018
    LLM2018 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    Hi please may I join? I will get back to you in a day or two with budget figures :)
    When life throws you a curveball, learn to catch it and throw it back! Feb Grocery Challenge/£100
  • Kim_13
    Welcome to pinkfluffybabe and LLM2018 who are numbers 5 and 6 respectively.
  • Can I join?

Been a bit lapse last year by buying from 'normal stores' compared to other years so want to go back to my old ways.

Clothes either bought from charity shop
    Or hand made (although this can sometimes be more expensive) but I want to focus back on upcycling charity shop clothes.

Budget is only £10 a month (roll over whats left to next months)
  • Kim_13
    Can I join?

Been a bit lapse last year by buying from 'normal stores' compared to other years so want to go back to my old ways.

Clothes either bought from charity shop
    Or hand made (although this can sometimes be more expensive) but I want to focus back on upcycling charity shop clothes.

Budget is only £10 a month (roll over whats left to next months)

Welcome MoneysavingmadGem, you are number 7.

I've put you down with a budget of £120 for the year as you are rolling over unspent money. Let me know if this is incorrect and you're only wanting to roll over the previous month's budget and not all unspent money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure