PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bookworms 2020

Options

Comments

• Michellelh
    Options
    For people who enjoyed ‘The silence of the girls’ then I’d recommend reading ‘A thousand ships’ by Natalie Haynes which also covers the Trojan war from the female side. I listened to it on audible last year and really enjoyed it.
  • RachDrap
    Options
    I’ve just finished Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella and am about to start The Sun Sister by Lucinda Riley. Love all the books by these authors.
  • RachDrap
    Options
    I have just finished Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella and am about to start The Sun Sister by Lucinda Riley. Love all the books by these authors.
  • RachDrap
    Options
    I have just finished Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella and am about to start The Sun Sister by Lucinda Riley. I have read and loved all the books by these authors. The seven sisters series by Lucinda Riley are so interesting and addictive.
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    Oh could I join? I’ve set myself a target of 100 books in 2020 partly as a way to reduce social media time and reducing my book mountain. And partly cos I’m not finding engaging with the real world overly rewarding at the minute. So far I’m 9 in, but that’s cos I didn’t go back to work til the 8th and cos the weather has been so awful.

If you want a light read to bring up your numbers, Me by Elton John was really fun. I’m not a particular fan of his music but his writing is very indiscreet, especially about himself. I also enjoyed That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo and The Beacon by Susan Hill and just finished The Butterfly House by Lucinda Riley - I also liked her Sisters books (all from the online library). I was given Idaho by Emily Ruskovitch for Christmas and really enjoyed it too.

I’m also trying to get through books loaned to me by people and read a local bestseller but I confess I hated it so won’t name it, by the end I was just scanning through pages to get it done with.

Currently ongoing reading The Clinton Tapes by Taylor Branch (though it’s a dip in and out) and upcoming is a Mark Twain for my book club!

Please keep posting recommendations. Especially now when I’m mostly reading on Kindle it can be really hard to come across different authors.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have finished Me Before You by Jo Jo Moyes. It was ok but only just ok. I have never thought that I have high brow literary taste but this book was recommended as was another book I read recently, I can't remember the author but the title was something like Daisy's Cornish Camper Van and it was truly dreadful so compared to some of my friends I seem to be expecting a lot more from an author.

Yesterday I started 'The Bleak Midwinter' by L C Tyler. Never heard of the author so we will see.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    I have finished Me Before You by Jo Jo Moyes. It was ok but only just ok.
    I don't get the appeal of chic-lit but I know this is a very popular book. It irritates me of I think I am wasting my life on something trivial - isn't this supposed to have serious themes?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollyflinders
    Options
    Urgh! I've just have plodded then rapidly skimmed an early Tracy Chevalier.

The Lady and the Unicorn - utter precious dross, but it was passed in with a recommendation from my friend and neighbour who's been really down. I decided to vent here so I can soften my feedback to her.

Going to start A Keeper tonight, Graham Norton's second novel. The first, Holding, was excellent.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I don't get the appeal of chic-lit but I know this is a very popular book. It irritates me of I think I am wasting my life on something trivial - isn't this supposed to have serious themes?

It is a serious subject, it's about a quadriplegic wanting to end his life in Switzerland, brave topic I suppose but I didn't love it. I borrowed it from the library along with the sequel but I am returning both without reading the sequel.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Kashia
    Kashia Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 16 January 2020 at 7:13PM
    Options
    I loved that book too! That was meant to be in response to The trouble with goats and sheep. I'm currently reading Normal People by Sally Rooney and struggling to put it down!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback