Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,568Posts
    • 19,224Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 5:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread
Page 66
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 28th Feb 19, 3:37 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 19,224 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Bit more decluttering of crafting stash

437 - 566 Crafting items including fabric pieces, bows, ribbons, embroidery threads (25 colours), pieces of elastic, wool bits, felt toy kit, paper crafting bits
    567 - 568 Glass bottle, Uu spray can - Recycling

Proper cheerleading now

nannywindow, wish I had been on holiday but no - my IP address was banned You have been exceedingly busy Must be very gratifying to reclaim your shed - Well Done

chupachups4, still keeping up with putting pennies in the travel pot

Onebrokelady, decluttering a large item & creating an instant space - Well Done

See you later

MrsSD
    568/2019
    • sweetpea26
    • By sweetpea26 28th Feb 19, 8:25 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 5,542 Thanks
    sweetpea26
    Morning MrsSD and all

Well yesterday I got one drawer under our bed sorted. Got rid of clothing that I will never wear ...today I am in kitchen sorting a 3 drawer dresser.

I have one drawer complete and have chucked
    Pens
    Pencils
    old receipts
    postage dockets
    business cards
    dried up highligters
    and lots of undefined rubbish

Hope to get a few more bits pieces done today.

4 bags of items that I had been waiting to deliver to charity shop were dropped off yesterday. Will update bag total ...
    Weight Loss Declutter Goal 45lbs 5 /45 40 lbs to goal weight!

2019 Clutter Free Challenge 91 / 250 bags donated /recycled / Disposed of ...and any other tat I no longer need
    7 large pieces of furniture are now gone !

Weight Loss Declutter Goal 45lbs 5 / 45
    • never too old
    • By never too old 28th Feb 19, 10:04 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 30,855 Thanks
    never too old

£11.85 from me from receipt hog and shopmium
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1388.67 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • amycool
    • By amycool 28th Feb 19, 10:37 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,677 Thanks
    amycool
    Lots of great decluttering going on. I'm always impressed when people can find the effort to list on selling sites or do car boots. I'm so lazy I invariably just CS it, even if I know it won't make much there. I justify my laziness by saying at least I'm donating to charity.

I haven't really done much this week as still recovering from a cold. However, we might be tackling DD's toys at the weekend. She is a hoarder and has an emotional attachment to everything but it's reached the point where her toys are now in 3 rooms and she can never find anything. I don't know if I'll convince her to part with anything but at the least I would like it sorted out so there aren't baby bottles in a drawer with Lego and Build a Bear clothes. She's only 8 so we probably still have a few years of joy from most of the toys and to be fair she really does play with everything.
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£7614.35
    - 89.1%

Overpayments - £43659.03
    • Techno
    • By Techno 28th Feb 19, 11:50 AM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Techno
    Amycool - can you try a one toy in one toy out with her. It being her choice which toy to part with before a new one can come in. It worked for my niece who is also a hoarder.
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 28th Feb 19, 11:58 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 7,005 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Neutral items sent=43

Also enclosed in the parcel 2 items DM gave me with her declutter that weren't staying. The items were getting shipped out straight away.

Could just do with a couple of boxes to send last few items and a main declutter item.
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 28th Feb 19, 12:08 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 19,224 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Good morning one and all (at least I have started writing this post in the a.m. )

It has just started raining, rather heavily so not too sure that my F*tb*t will be happy today

I have bitten the bullet & emptied all 3 remaining wall unit drawers into a crate Now I just need to summon up the ‘mojo’ to sort it all out

Plans for the day are fluid but I do need to visit the sm.

Well Done sweetpea26 Clothing, drawers & bags to CS It is official you have caught the ‘Decluttering Bug’

Amazing amount of pennies, never too old

amycool - high five re your ‘confession’ - I must admit to being lazy as well when it comes to disposing of my clutter but having said that I really do enjoy finding items for the CS Plus they run crafting sessions, have set up various exercise classes + setting up a community garden & hopefully opening a cafeteria. Fingers crossed 🤞 that you can ‘encourage’ DD to release some of her toys to other children

See you all later

MrsSD
    568/2019
    • never too old
    • By never too old 28th Feb 19, 12:44 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 30,855 Thanks
    never too old

£11.85 from me from receipt hog and shopmium
    Originally posted by never too old
    oops posted on wrong forum
    1% challenge no 70

£1388.67 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 28th Feb 19, 1:32 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 5,900 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Welcome back Mrs SD and well done on your decluttering. You deserve one of them there gold stars too! 🌟

I took another bag of books to the charity shop today. Still lots to do but I figure it's taken a long time to accumulate all this carp so it'll take a while to get rid of it too.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 28th Feb 19, 2:03 PM
    • 24,645 Posts
    • 28,530 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Reading this thread and posting yesterday booted me back into 'Tardis of Doom' (outside store cupboard). Cluttered up the entire communal corridor, prompting my neighbour to confess that he too throws things into his store cupboard and quickly slams the door.

Decluttering: One bagful cardboard and one heavy bagful paperwork to the communal recycling bins. It was only emptied two days ago but the paper/ card section is now more than two thirds full!

Plastic folders (baggy elastic) and one huge pet food storage container (bent) to the dumpster. Four large bagfuls mostly household items to the charity shop, many unused or not seen for a decade.

Recluttering: Shelf brackets, hooks and cupboard handles into my new DIY room.

Paraphernalia for redoing my bathroom (boxes of tiles, chrome shower fitting, wall mount dispenser) back into the Tardis. The walk in shower cubicle is in my DIY room BTW.

Wood clothes airer and glass hurricane lamp, loads of cushions that ex/ friend says he wants. All back into the Tardis, all should have gone to the charity shop.

Replacement covers for an IKEA sofa and an IKEA sofabed neither of which I have any more. Should be listed on a freebie or auction site but never done either.

The 'Tardis of Doom' still does not look any better. At least I know what is in there now!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 28th Feb 19, 2:18 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    ...I figure it's taken a long time to accumulate all this carp so it'll take a while to get rid of it too.
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    Thanks for this Ginmonster. It's very easy to get down because you can't declutter everything in a day, and then give up altogether. This is going to go with my motivational quotes.
    A Clutter Free Life - 2019 in 2019 - 282/2019
    Boost your income (34) - £2019 in 2019 - £73/£2019
    ...I figure it's taken a long time to accumulate all this carp so it'll take a while to get rid of it too.
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    • MiniLaura
    • By MiniLaura 28th Feb 19, 2:18 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    MiniLaura
    Confession time - I bought a large storage unit from IKEA - the ones with the cubby holes...12 .... time to fill it up with all my stuff that's been lying around the living room for a while. Looks very smart and has let me sort out the I'm keeping stuff from the get rid pile.....just that to work through, today, decluttered al the cardboard packaging to recycling and a few empty boxes going too - 4 items out - at 31 now I think?

big ebay push planned for this evening with some crafting items.

Bras going to bravissmo this weekend, unsure how many will go.....
    Last edited by MiniLaura; 04-03-2019 at 8:51 AM.
    Debt-Free-Wannabe!
    Declutter/Ebay/Savings
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 28th Feb 19, 6:39 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 7,141 Thanks
    somerandom
    223. office chair - neighbour
    224 - 228 - 5 x grown out of pants (DS)
    229 & 230 - 2 x chargers - with nothing to charge
    Originally posted by somerandom
    231. old vest - duster
    232. blanket (always hated the colour) - CS
    233. accessories for hair straightener - CS
    234. Tool manual

Day off today - the only one this week Very tired today so only a few things decluttered but I HAVE tidied up ... & very wonderful it feels too. Biggest difference in DS' room. I bought a great Ikea multi-compartment storage thingie (from the CS) to put in DS' wardrobe which has accommodated all his socks, pants & vests. Decanting into that meant that I created space elsewhere and there was a very satisfying domino effect.
    Last edited by somerandom; 01-03-2019 at 5:27 PM.
    A Clutter Free Life 2019
    • chupachups4
    • By chupachups4 28th Feb 19, 6:52 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    chupachups4
    Good evening,

453-454: 2 items sold, 7 euros in the travel pot
    455-465: 11 items in textile recycling bin

listed 17 items.

Amycool, I Don't really like listing things. I make the effort because I really, really need a lot of money for our project. And in France, we Don't have as many CS as you. It's 20km to go to the nearest one for me.
    So I list on selling sites, and then, car boot sale season will beging early may.
    shipping busy bus: 1504 euros/15000 euros
    Ile de Pâques:541/5000 euros; Galapagos: 0/5000 euros
    declutter: 1171/2019
    52 weeks challenge: 268 euros/1378 euros
    sales: jan: 306euros/300 euros; feb: 863 euros/300euros;march:1763euros/500 euros
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 28th Feb 19, 10:05 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 17,628 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Eight items gone today - a couple of catalogues, a coat hanger that's lost it's hook, some paper and trash from the depths of the ironing basket and two mugs that got broken. I know that adds up to seven but whatever the other item was, it's so thoroughly decluttered that I don't remember it any more.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £1,038.40/2,880.00 Jan-April 2019. Decluttered in 2019: 665/2019 as of 20/05/19
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 1st Mar 19, 12:56 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 19,224 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Two of the three wall unit drawers have been fully sorted, the contents of the 3rd drawer are still to be looked at It rained on & off all day but I managed to avoid getting wet when I walked to & from the sm F*tb*t is happy . Dinner was pan fried pork loin medallions with boiled potatoes & green beans - yummilicious

569 Old modem into Tip bag
    570 One inch of paperwork - recycled
    571 - 585 Set of speaker cables, 2 pairs of blue shoelaces, empty pen box, metal cigarette case, fancy hair slide, plastic credit card wallet, spectacles cloth, paper bookmark, foam key ring, 4 mini boxes, stop watch - CS bag

Straight into cheerleading

Great idea Techno

Well Done Happy Kitties regardless of whether the clutter leaving is neutral or not - you are keeping it moving out of your home

Thanks for my Gold Star Ginmonster . Well Done on keeping the clutter moving out
    I agree with the sentiment, but I think/hope it will take less time to declutter as we are all consciously decluttering rather than unconsciously cluttering

Fire Fox, I love it ‘The Tardis of Doom’ Re the stuff that ex/ friend wants, personally I would put a time limit on ‘storing’ his stuff & then either charge for storage or dispose of You probably have enough of your own clutter without storing other people’s clutter I am surprised that with all the stuff you have got rid of that you haven’t created some space Are you being just a teensy bit harsh on yourself

GreenQueen, motivational quotes, do tell

MiniLaura, no need to ‘confess’ to buying a storage unit Just promise me & yourself that you will keep each of the cubby holes neat & tidy Good luck with the big eBay push

somerandom, Well Done on the decluttering and a Gold Star ⭐️ for the tidying ‘Domino Effect’ - I really like that

chupachups4, Well Done on more pennies in the travel pot

Cherryfudge, Well Done on the decluttering I really like that you have decluttered something so thoroughly that you have forgotten what it was

See you later

MrsSD
    585/2019
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 1st Mar 19, 7:21 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Not a lot of decluttering going on at the moment - it's half term so the boys are bringing things in. We did do a 'science' set they got for Christmas so that will be in the bin once they've had their fun with it!

Oh, we did declutter some nits! And £30 on de-nitting paraphernalia!
    DFBX19 #148 - 16/5/2019 Week 19 - £2,173/£4,782 45% gone -- £2019 in 2019 #152 £683.64/£2019
    £1000 EF Challenge #288 - Nothing to report
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 1st Mar 19, 12:06 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 17,628 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh, we did declutter some nits! And £30 on de-nitting paraphernalia!
    Originally posted by aimeemum
    Oh, that brings back memories!
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £1,038.40/2,880.00 Jan-April 2019. Decluttered in 2019: 665/2019 as of 20/05/19
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 1st Mar 19, 12:33 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 7,005 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    *140 item sent out today for use in charity auction
    *141 packaging for the above ( have managed to really shift alot of packaging with the items I've been
    sending out)
    *142 lots of cardboard into recycling.

Have some more neutral items I want to send on Monday and then I will be happy. Things are looking alot clearer. I'm also hoping to get another parcel of wool shipped out on Monday. As long as i keep things moving I'm happy even if it's at a slow pace as I still know things are leaving the house
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • never too old
    • By never too old 1st Mar 19, 12:54 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 30,855 Thanks
    never too old
    Afternoon all.
    Hope everyone is well
    I finally emptied my boot of the charity shop items i have been carrying around for at least a weekIve organised my toiletries/cleaning products not through choice a shower gel leaked.....but it does look so much better.
    Not sure if it actually classes as declutering but a box of goodies i had been getting for my daughter has now gone home with her so a slightly clearer worktop for now.
    1% challenge no 70

£1388.67 / 2019
    0%/100%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

402Posts Today

3,929Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm on my way to @GMB for my 7:40 tips of the week. This week incl a free £175 for switching bank, a sweet Nectar t? https://t.co/y6FrOdBV5d

• Quick twitter poll: Will Theresa May still be the PM of the UK a week today?

• Thank you for all the sensitive teeth rememedies. I'm going to try (not the alchohol ones though - on air early tomorrow)

• Follow Martin