IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

National Parking Enforcement ( NPE ) £60(£100) for 4 minutes! The battle begins

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Eurrghhh. Way to make my stomach turn. This is a big step down from 99% cases being won and it leaves me thinking that maybe I should have just taken the £60 initial fine...or that I should cut my losses and just pay the £160 now.

People will help where they can, no one is totally abandoned (well, not deliberately, but there is a need to recognise the relentless pressure the forum is under), but I think that there is a need to be realistic and expectations are not overly raised.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • stickitupyourjumper
    stickitupyourjumper Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2019 at 11:05PM
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    People will help where they can, no one is totally abandoned (well, not deliberately, but there is a need to recognise the relentless pressure the forum is under), but I think that there is a need to be realistic and expectations are not overly raised.

Ok thanks man. I honeslty wouldn't mind going to court. From what I have read...I wouldn't stand to lose much more than the £160 demanded anyway, so I guess I have nothing to lose. Off the top of my head, my arguments are going to be that the signage was not sufficiently visable on entering the car park/space (which is 100% true) and the disproportionate fines (£15-£25 per minute...particularly with the photos provided showing no other cars...and many spaces). My core argument will rest on the driver reading the signage in that time and deciding not to enter into the contract, removing themselves from the site as per grace period.

I get what you are saying with the forum being under pressure and it would be better for me to work on some draft letters and free post them back here for critic (if that is ok???) before sending.

As always cheers for the help and support.
  • Umkomaas
    My core argument will rest on the driver reading the signage in that time and deciding not to enter into the contract, removing themselves from the site as per grace period.
    That has to be a potentially very strong point - the signage being the purported contract between driver and PPC. Plus, given the very short time on site, the grace periods come into play, and neither ATA's Codes of Practice can possibly argue that 4 minutes is too long.
    and the disproportionate fines (£15-£25 per minute...particularly with the photos provided showing no other cars...and many spaces).
    Leave that one well alone as it drags in ParkingEye v Beavis, and unless you can work your way through The Supreme Court's judgment, and be able to expertly and articulately argue your way around the various issues between penalty clauses being engaged or disengaged, don't go there.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• stickitupyourjumper
    stickitupyourjumper Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2019 at 9:59PM
    So how is this as a letter for the landowner (some care housing group):

"To Whom it May Concern,

As a former carer for xxx and a current civil servant, I share many of the values held by the [CARE GROUP NAME], namely a passion and drive to assist and serve those most at need the community. It is for this reason that I am so disheartened and disappointed that on xxx, I was issues a parking charge notice by post from National Parking Enforcement Ltd for £100.00 (PCN: xxx) on your behalf at the premises.

A vehicle (of which I am the registered keeper) stopped momentarily on a side road at xxx, following which the driver exited the car to read the relevant restricted parking signs. After 3 minutes and 27 seconds, the driver heeded the information, re-entered the vehicle and left the property. Despite engagement by myself, NPE Ltd refuse to abandon the charge, have escalated it to £160.00, have passed my personal information to third parties without consent, including their solicitors (Gladstones), who have now issued me a 'Letter Before Claim' (ref. xxx). This is despite my case representing a clear instance of the driver correctly acting within the 'grace period' of article 15.1 of the International Parking Community's code of practise (of which NPE Ltd claims to be an accredited member), namely that:

Drivers should be allowed a sufficient amount of time to park and read any signs so they may make an informed decision as to whether or not to remain on the site.

Prior to the incident, I was aware of the [CARE GROUP NAME] and the positive impact being made at [LOCATION] through my prior involvement in care work. To my dismay, I have discovered instances similar to my own reported in the local press (see article from LOCAL PAPER xxx). I fear that my own experience may not be an isolated one and I am shocked and saddened that you appear to tacitly support the charges levied and the wrongful actions of NPE Ltd in my case and others.

It is therefore with great regret that, should this case progress to a claim, I will be writing to the Care Quality Commission, the [LOCAL PAPER], xxx (MP) and Green Party Councillor xxx (who has recently taken a well publicised interest in the predatory activities of NPE Ltd in the area) to relay my concerns and outrage reference the case and the actions taken by NPE Ltd on behalf of the [CARE GROUP NAME].

I remain hopeful and optimistic the issue can be resolved amicably and I would welcome any intervention or advice that you may be able to provide in the interim. I have no intention of pursing the matter further should all claims be dropped by all involved parties.

At the very least, I remain extremely grateful for your valuable time and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you."
  • Umkomaas
    A bit too long in my view. Cut out some of the sugary bits about your values, occupation and the like, they detract from the sharp message you need to drive home. Other opinions might also be shared.

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Eurrghhh. Way to make my stomach turn.

This is a big step down from 99% cases being won and it leaves me thinking that maybe I should have just taken the £60 initial fine...or that I should cut my losses and just pay the £160 now.

Nope, we are here, some of us just took a break or were too busy over Xmas. Nothing has changed!

I have no legal training but happy to comment on defences and assist, and yes 99% of people still win here. NPE are likely to be fairly easy to beat and your case shows you certainly have defence grounds for such a predatory PCN, and they have never incurred £60 costs so that gets kicked out anyway, if you play it right throughout.
    so I need to do a letter to NPE for SAR (although they have already furnished me with much of the information suggested...I guess that another request wouldn't hurt)
    Yes. The idea is to interrupt the robo-claim flow from their point of view, and to buy time to lobby the retail Management and say you and your family will boycott the place.

NPE are notorious with the local Councillors and the press:

https://norwich.greenparty.org.uk/news/2016/02/01/parking-scam-a-letter-to-the-government/

https://www.change.org/p/bellgold-properties-ltd-safeguard-earlham-house-shops-say-no-to-npe-s-heavy-handed-parking-enforcement

https://www.edp24.co.uk/motoring/petition-demands-removal-of-cctv-cameras-in-earlham-house-shopping-centre-1-4593021

...so I bet your MP has heard of them and will likely assist in a complaint to the landowner for you, to lend more weight, while the SAR takes its time.

P.S. when looking for those links I found this new one to turn a few stomachs:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwich-dad-praises-common-sense-as-parking-firm-u-turns-on-100-fine-1-4923090

Hmmmm...

And a silly, uninformed woman who actually paid NPE:

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/mother-parking-charges-norwich-260-1-5840883
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Cheers for the input guys. I have acted on your advice and I think that I am ready to go. I cannot find an email address for the property owner, so I am going to send a letter signed for.

Please let me know if there are any other tweeks I need to do...

[ LETTER TO PROPERTY OWNER ]

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am disheartened and disappointed to report that on XXXX, I was issues a parking charge notice by post from National Parking Enforcement Ltd for £100.00 (PCN: XXXX) on behalf of XXXX at XXXX.

A vehicle (of which I am the registered keeper) stopped momentarily on a side road at the address, following which the driver exited the car and read the relevant restricted parking signs. The driver heeded the information, re-entered the vehicle and left the property, a sequence of events that took 3 minutes.

Despite engagement by myself, NPE refuse to abandon the charge levied, have escalated the charge to £160.00 and have passed my personal information to third parties despite explicit requests not to do so. This includes to their solicitors (Gladstones), who have now issued me a 'Letter Before Claim' (ref. XXXX). NPE have take this action on your behalf, despite the case representing a clear instance of the driver correctly acting within the 'grace period' of article 15.1 of the International Parking Community's 'code of practise' (of which NPE claims to be an accredited member), namely that:

'Drivers should be allowed a sufficient amount of time to park and read any signs so they may make an informed decision as to whether or not to remain on the site.'

Prior to the incident, I was not aware of PROPERTY OWNER. To my dismay, I have since discovered similar cases to my own reported in the local press (see article from the LOCAL PAPER 18/07/2013 WEBSITE HYPER LINK). I fear that my own experience may not be an isolated one and I am shocked and saddened that you appear to tacitly support the wrongful actions of NPE and the unjust charges levied in my case and others.

It is therefore with great regret that, should this case progress to a claim, I will be writing to the LOCAL PAPER , XXXX (MP) and Party Councillor XXXX (who has recently taken a well publicised interest in the predatory activities of NPE in the area) to relay my concerns and outrage reference the case and the actions taken by NPE on behalf of the XXXX. Myself, my family and my friends also intend to boycott the nearby XXXX shopping centre and to contact individual traders located there, to notify them of the boycott. I will also initiate civil action to recover damages reference the sharing of my personal data without consent.

I remain hopeful and optimistic that the situation does not progress to this stage and that it can be resolved amicably. I would welcome any intervention or advice that you may be able to provide in the interim. I have no intention of pursing the matter further should all charges and claims be dropped by yourselves, NPE and Gladstones Solicitors.

At the very least, I remain extremely grateful for your valuable time and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

[ LETTER TO NPE, SAR ]

Dear Sir or Madam,

Subject access request - Data Protection Act 2018 / General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)

ADDRESS

Reference: PNC XXXX

Please supply the data about me that I am entitled to under data protection law relating to myself:

1. ALL photos taken reference my case. (On furnishing these, please confirm in writing that the photos provided constitutes ALL photos held by yourselves reference my case).
    2. ALL video footage taken reference my case. (On furnishing this, please confirm in writing that the video footage provided constitutes ALL video footage held by yourselves reference my case).
    3. A close up of all of the signs, on the day in question.
    4. Evidence that you have paid a debt collector.
    5. Evidence that you have sought and received my personal information from the DVLA.
    6. All letters and emails, sent and received, reference my case, including any appeal correspondence.
    7. All data held reference the case and a full copy of the PCN (On furnishing this, please confirm in writing that it constitutes ALL data held by yourselves reference my case).
    8. A list of all PCNs you consider are outstanding against me. (Please note that any claim must be for all PCNs in one claim, not several separate claims).

Please ensure that the information is sent to me by email to XXXX and by post to the aforementioned address.

If you need any more data from me to confirm my identity please let me know as soon as possible. Please note that I should NOT have to provide intrusive and excessive identification such as a passport or driving licence to obtain this. That I have been sent a Parking Charge Notification and a Letter Before Claim, to my address, demonstrates that you already hold sufficient data to identify me. It may be helpful for you to know that data protection law requires you to respond to a request for data within one calendar month.

If you do not normally deal with these requests, please pass this letter to your Data Protection Officer, or relevant staff member. If you need advice on dealing with this request, the Information Commissioner’s Office can assist you. Its website is ico.org.uk or it can be contacted on 0303 123 1113.

Yours faithfully

[ LETTER TO GLADSTONES ]

ADDRESS

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to confirm that the above is my 'address for service' as the registered keeper referenced in the 'Letter Before Claim' dated XXX, XXXX.

I have sent your client (National Parking Enforcement Ltd.) a 'Subject Access Request' and therefore require restriction of data processing. As a result the case should be put 'on hold'.

Yours Faithfully,
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You are very polite, but I like those letters.

I would be a bit more forceful to Gs to try to stop their tedious letter back:
    I have sent your client (National Parking Enforcement Ltd.) a 'Subject Access Request' and therefore require restriction of data processing. As a result the case should be put 'on hold'.

Kindly spare me your template letter that refuses to restrict data processing, pretending that time is somehow 'of the essence' in a robo-claim that can perfectly easily wait 30 days for SAR purposes. Your conduct in replying thus is shameful, so spare me that one.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    You are very polite, but I like those letters.

I would be a bit more forceful to Gs to try to stop their tedious letter back:

Nice. I will incorporate it into my letter and thank you for the compliment. My tactic was to avoid being too confrontational, to the property owners in particular. The easiest outcome for me would be for them to intervene and get the whole thing dropped. 'You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar' and all that. Figures that they are more likely to help if I am not overly confrontational and aggressive. That would only make them defensive. I was keen not to give threats, rather just politely present them with the concequences of what will happen.

All of that said, I fully expect it to go to court. From what I gather, the property owners have maintained ownership of a number of carparks in the area, soley for the purposes of extracting money via parking charges. Shameful and already well documented in the local press and posted in on this thread. I am ready for court though. As stated, I wouldn't be losing much more than already demanded and it would actually be an interesting learning experience and useful, should I ever need to be involved in small claims, or other court proceedings in future (not that I plan to!)

Again thank you for your help. I will post back when I get responses.
  • Umkomaas
    I would welcome any intervention or advice that you may be able to provide in the interim
    I'd take out 'or advice', as it opens the door for them to say, 'Please take it up with the parking company ........'.

Just leave them with an expectation that they, the landowner, should intervene (with direct action).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport