NOW broadband and bad providers

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The Now Hub 2 looks good as well but only 2 ethernet ports so I'll have to get a Gigabit switch attached to it.

That's the Sky Q router with a different logo, I've had it for the last 3 or 4 months and it's decent.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Set up my switch from Sky to NOW BB yesterday - had to get fibre with Now as they didn't offer ADSL for my area. Still cheaper than line rental plus the ADSL I have currently been paying for Sky. Will be interesting to see if we notice any difference in BB speed / performance with fibre.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• tomthered
    tomthered Posts: 258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Set up my switch from Sky to NOW BB yesterday - had to get fibre with Now as they didn't offer ADSL for my area. Still cheaper than line rental plus the ADSL I have currently been paying for Sky. Will be interesting to see if we notice any difference in BB speed / performance with fibre.

Hope you went through Quidco or Topcashback first?
  • NOW take the monthly payments by card rather than direct debit. Not sure if that's a real issue, but it put me off a bit.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    anactuary wrote: »
    NOW take the monthly payments by card rather than direct debit. Not sure if that's a real issue, but it put me off a bit.

I found that the disadvantage of that is that when your Bank changes your card number, your payment fails and you don't even know about it until Now TV complains. With DD it would be automatic (and less common).
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    I found that the disadvantage of that is that when your Bank changes your card number, your payment fails and you don't even know about it until Now TV complains. With DD it would be automatic (and less common).

I was thinking more about the end of the term when, if you don't owe anything, you can cancel the direct debit to stop them taking a month's advance charge and refunding it weeks later. Not so easy with a continuous charge on a card - still doable (I think), but probably needs a call rather than a click.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I've just moved to Now Fibre BB, and have had no problems at all, either technically or with customer service.

The only issue is that their router is quite basic, and there is no USB port (so cannot connect network storage).

I was previously with Talktalk, and never had any problems with them, either, despite their poor reputation.

You wouldn't want to connect storage that way anyway because almost all routers that do only have slow USB 2.0 ports.
    Your much better using a NAS drive which you can connect via Ethernet.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    takman wrote: »
    You wouldn't want to connect storage that way anyway because almost all routers that do only have slow USB 2.0 ports.
    Your much better using a NAS drive which you can connect via Ethernet.

I don't run big backups to it, only small background incrementals. I don't stream video, either.

It's fine for that kind of usage.
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 August 2018 at 6:48PM
    wanted to find a thread to post my NOW experieince. this is after moving from BT and their price rises.

quick delivery
    smooth transition from BT on the day

good speed paying 36mb, getting 39mb

poor / slightly weak router / wifi

in terms of the NOW router though, i've rerouted all traffic to my BT smart hub. took me a few hours and trial and error (reading all sorts online guides). unfortunately, the BT smart hub doesn't work with NOW fibre, so it now acts as switch / access point. i've turned the NOW router wifi off (all this needs an additional power plug and ethernet cable and using the smart hub wifi).
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    tomthered wrote: »
    Hope you went through Quidco or Topcashback first?

Absolutely :money::D
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills