PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay mum rent even when I'm not home?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I usually pay my mum rent - but for the past three months I haven't been home. Now I'm back, she's asking me to pay up for those three months. Should I still pay her?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Really MSE? Are you coming up with these by rolling dice?

Though I'm sure GM will have some pointers about whether daughter has signed an AST or not and is so liable for rent.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Joints, not dice. They are that.... well, lost for the right word.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes Luke, you should give your mother the rent.
  • muz3562
    muz3562 Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    suppose it depends why you have not been there .

If you have been off having a jolly travelling or whatever then you definitely should pay your mum rent , you would still have to pay rent or mortgage if you rented or owned .

If you have been in hospital desperately ill then you should put yourself up for adoption:rotfl:
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why do we have to have MMD's on this board?

The OP never gives that much information in the beginning and never returns to update or answer any questions,if its going to turn into a debate put it on that thread otherwise leave the housing and rental threads for those who genuinely need advice or guidance.

Please......
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Plot twist: your mothers dead. That!!!8217;s not your mother. It!!!8217;s a wolf dressed up in her clothes.

RUN AWAY
  • Firsttimebuyer2018
    Options
    Yes you should! If you were privately renting you couldn't just decide to stop paying rent because you aren't at that property.
  • POLAR_BILL
    POLAR_BILL Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I would not expect to be paid. It depends on your circumstances though. I often give my Son £10 towards a meal as he often eats out with friends. I only charge a nominal rent.
  • kev25v6
    kev25v6 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, you haven!!!8217;t used any electric, gas, food etc. It!!!8217;s not the same as renting from a private land lord where you are keeping your room for you only. More likely take mum out for a meal instead.
  • thelem
    thelem Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    Why were you not at home? What was agreed when you left?

If you've kept your things in your room and there was an expectation that you would shortly be moving back then it seems perfectly reasonable for you to pay rent on that room.

If you moved out "for good" (maybe you moved in with your girlfriend, but it didn't work out), then when you moved out your mum got use of that room back and can't expect rent to be paid on it. You moving back is then a new event, but might come with its own costs (e.g. purchasing a new bed, after the old one was binned to make space for whatever your mum wanted to do with the room).

However, given it's family it's more complicated than a normal rental agreement. Does your mum need the money? Do you need the money? Is your mum trying to force you to move out an start an independent, adult life?
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure