Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 22nd May 18, 3:25 PM
    • 395Posts
    • 197Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: TSB to refund fraud victims as cancer patient has 29,000 payout stolen
    • 22nd May 18, 3:25 PM
    MSE News: TSB to refund fraud victims as cancer patient has 29,000 payout stolen 22nd May 18 at 3:25 PM
    A cancer patient has had her 29,000 critical illness insurance payout stolen, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal, as yet more cases emerge of TSB customers being targeted by fraudsters in the wake of its IT meltdown. But the bank has refunded her and pledged others who've been scammed WILL get their cash back...
    Read the full story:
    'TSB to refund fraud victims as cancer patient has 29,000 payout stolen'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 23-05-2018 at 4:24 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 22nd May 18, 3:53 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Mchambers
    • 22nd May 18, 3:53 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 3:53 PM
    Good old TSB. They are dreadful !! We will probably hear from Mr TSB soon..

And we will probably hear from others saying that it was the customers fault for being scammed.

I will say again that everything is TSB's fault.....They could not do an IT upgrade properly.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 22nd May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 4,592 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 22nd May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 6:11 PM
    Gina's one of five TSB customers to contact us
    TSB has over 5 million customers
    I'll take those odds
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 22nd May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 22nd May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 6:49 PM
    Good old TSB. They are dreadful !! We will probably hear from Mr TSB soon..

And we will probably hear from others saying that it was the customers fault for being scammed.

I will say again that everything is TSB's fault.....They could not do an IT upgrade properly.
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    I don't like disappointing children, Mchambers, so here I am posting just for you!

According to you TSB are responsible for, "everything". Aside from this being utter nonsense with regards to these frauds, are you also holding them to account for all disease; war; famine; child abuse etc?
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 22nd May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Mchambers
    • 22nd May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 8:09 PM
    I don't like disappointing children, Mchambers, so here I am posting just for you!

According to you TSB are responsible for, "everything". Aside from this being utter nonsense with regards to these frauds, are you also holding them to account for all disease; war; famine; child abuse etc?
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    Yes cause they could not do a simple IT upgrade !!

Mt TSB anyone ?
    Last edited by Mchambers; 22-05-2018 at 8:23 PM.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 22nd May 18, 9:33 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 4,592 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 22nd May 18, 9:33 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 9:33 PM

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5756248

Simple upgrade.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 22nd May 18, 10:51 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Mchambers
    • 22nd May 18, 10:51 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 10:51 PM
    Yawn !! Nothing to do with TSB. They need to advise when it is all fixed and working. Like asking how long is a piece of string ? Never-ending ain't it ?
    Last edited by Mchambers; 23-05-2018 at 6:22 AM.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 22nd May 18, 11:03 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    • 22nd May 18, 11:03 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 11:03 PM
    Thank you - that made me smile!

Am going to hold off logging into MS outlook as I'm probably due loads of wonga.

There's one thing for certain this character isn't an IT amateur never mind professional!
    Last edited by veryintrigued; 23-05-2018 at 5:52 AM.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 23rd May 18, 5:41 AM
    • 6,794 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 23rd May 18, 5:41 AM
    • 23rd May 18, 5:41 AM

I will say again that everything is TSB's fault.....
    He was dubious, so instead searched online for TSB's number and called that. But he says after two hours of unsuccessfully trying to get through he assumed the phone number within the text was a special fraud number and called that.
    Clearly not the customers fault at all. Entirely down to TSB.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • Be Happy
    • By Be Happy 23rd May 18, 8:47 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Be Happy
    Here's a copy of a very clever scam I posted on other TSB scam thread.

Had phone call from TSB yesterday which I assume was a scam, but still not sure where the scam was going to set in.

Came home to recorded message on answer machine giving me a 'one time only password' to continue my banking transaction. I hadn't been doing any banking yesterday. Googled number it was from and found it to be a genuine TSB number. Went into branch who checked through my accounts and found nothing wrong - odd transactions, unfinished transactions, new payees, etc. Was told it must have been a 'cloned phone number' scam and as long as I didn't phone back and give out information it would be OK.

If the phone number was cloned, then the recorded message was also cloned. It was identical to any message I've received. Even finishing with the instruction to hang up and follow the instructions on screen.

Was obviously intended for person who received this phone call and phoned back immediately to report error, at which point they would be on the cloned phone number and asked for bank details.
    • sully1311
    • By sully1311 23rd May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    sully1311
    Originally posted by Paul_Herring
    They say assume means making an !!! out of U and ME
    • Ashen
    • By Ashen 23rd May 18, 5:11 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    Ashen
    MSE really are at a tabloid-level of journalism nowadays - from the article/headline:

TSB to refund fraud victims
    But the bank has refunded her and pledged that others who've been scammed WILL get their cash back.
    TSB says it WILL refund victims of this kind of fraud*
    * (in bold!)

The actual quote from TSB lower in the article - emphasis mine:

"If customers have been a victim of fraud as a direct result of our recent IT issues they won't be left out of pocket."

MSE make it sound like anyone will get refunded for any type of fraud.
    Last edited by Ashen; 23-05-2018 at 5:22 PM.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 23rd May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    ValiantSon

Mt TSB anyone ?
    Well, you are clearly the expert on simple things.
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 23-05-2018 at 5:56 PM.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 23rd May 18, 5:51 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    How do you work that out? He did the right thing to begin with, but then, having been frustrated at the time on hold, did the worng thing. While it is poor that he had to wait on hold so long, TSB did not make him call the fraudsters.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 23rd May 18, 6:00 PM
    • 6,794 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    How do you work that out? He did the right thing to begin with, but then, having been frustrated at the time on hold, did the worng thing. While it is poor that he had to wait on hold so long, TSB did not make him call the fraudsters.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    Did you miss the sarcasm tags on that post of mine?
    Last edited by Paul_Herring; 23-05-2018 at 6:05 PM.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 24th May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Did you miss the sarcasm tags on that post of mine?
    There weren't any.

I'm glad that you were being sarcastic, but no, it wasn't evident from your post. Perhaps a next time would help.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 24th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    nic_c
    The problem here is TSB will probably refund them as a goodwill gesture to stave off bad publicity, but its likely to do the opposite with people believing it is the banks fault and they are admitting liability.

We know scammers somehow accessed the accounts to generate a OTP (maybe it was a lost password request) then got the customers to reveal the OTP to allow the change. They could have got details from anywhere, e.g. breach on another company that had DD details etc.
    • jcontest
    • By jcontest 26th May 18, 5:32 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    jcontest
    This is going to turn out to be like the big PPI swindle (By customers) that MSE helped feed.

We are going to blame this bank for EVERY fraud that has happened because fraudsters are acting like the bank.

While I feel sorry for the people who have fallen foul of this type of scam there's some more serious things here that we should really be looking at.

VoIP - I use VoIP and it is wonderful, I have numbers in Ireland, the US, and the UK and all of them ring in my home. I can phone someone in Ireland have it show the Irish number, or someone in the USA and have it show the USA number. It's great!.
    But it's time that we stop ignoring the fact that large telco providers will transit these numbers regardless of the source and destination. I know for a FACT that BT will host spoofed numbers through their business service against their own customers that pay for the number itself. It is time large telco providers step up to block this type of stuff from happening.

Chip and Pin on all transfers. It should be a requirement and not a simple option. I know the banks are stuck between regulation and regulation, but my Natwest account forces me to use a card reader when I want to set up someone new to pay (even once). This should be standard!

It should be against the law to ATTEMPT fraud like this. I get messages, emails, and phone calls similar to what was used to kick these frauds off but the funny thing is that until they actually steal it from you then the police will take no action. Back to the telco providers here too, millions of phishing text/emails/calls are ignored because they are getting paid the exit fee's and there is no proof that the company has done anything wrong.

We honestly need to teach people to think more when they receive these type of messages. Instead we use gossip papers to make them afraid that it's all been stolen, so those insecure people jump as soon as they think something has happened.

Social engineering and sales have worked well for years.
    Social engineering and fraud seems to have worked well on this occasion.

And BANG the moneys gone. Dont delay, reset today, protect your money by sending it to Uzbekistan in a safety account we have for you..

If there is any hole in the security of TSB it would be that the accounts were able to be reset in such large quantities. If these happened on foreign based IPs then it should have raised flags, If they happened on UK soil then ISP account holders could be traced, if much of it was happening from the same IP ranges then it should have triggered flags inside TSB. Stop blaming TSB, take gadgets away from people until they know how to use them.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 8th Jun 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Far be it from me to defend the inane and puerile ramblings of that poster, but I genuinely don't believe that even he is crass enough to trivialise cancer by referring to the subject of the story in that way - my understanding, based on his lengthy history of silly TSB-bashing posts, is that he's referring to TSB still being very sick, but I can see how you may not have read it that way.

If you're the Gina that the story referred to (and even if you're not tbh), then I'm sure everyone on here wishes you well.
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Well said buddy, and a too wish you well
    • Ginabudden.2018
    • By Ginabudden.2018 8th Jun 18, 9:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ginabudden.2018
    wizzywig27 unfortunately it was directed at me as the comment clearly says she and they would not put that otherwise. Thank you for the well wishers and just an update TSB has now blocked my Husbands account so he can not switch to another provider!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,452Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin