MSE News: TSB to refund fraud victims as cancer patient has £29,000 payout stolen

edited 23 May 2018 at 5:24PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
32 replies 5.8K views
Former_MSE_Megan_FFormer_MSE_Megan_F Former MSE
418 Posts
Newshound!
✭✭
edited 23 May 2018 at 5:24PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
A cancer patient has had her £29,000 critical illness insurance payout stolen, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal, as yet more cases emerge of TSB customers being targeted by fraudsters in the wake of its IT meltdown. But the bank has refunded her and pledged others who've been scammed WILL get their cash back...
Read the full story:
'TSB to refund fraud victims as cancer patient has £29,000 payout stolen'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• MchambersMchambers Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Good old TSB. They are dreadful !! We will probably hear from Mr TSB soon..

And we will probably hear from others saying that it was the customers fault for being scammed.

I will say again that everything is TSB's fault.....They could not do an IT upgrade properly.
  • ceredigionceredigion Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gina's one of five TSB customers to contact us
    TSB has over 5 million customers

I'll take those odds
  • ValiantSonValiantSon
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mchambers wrote: »
    Good old TSB. They are dreadful !! We will probably hear from Mr TSB soon..

And we will probably hear from others saying that it was the customers fault for being scammed.

I will say again that everything is TSB's fault.....They could not do an IT upgrade properly.

I don't like disappointing children, Mchambers, so here I am posting just for you!

According to you TSB are responsible for, "everything". Aside from this being utter nonsense with regards to these frauds, are you also holding them to account for all disease; war; famine; child abuse etc?
  • edited 22 May 2018 at 9:23PM
    MchambersMchambers Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    edited 22 May 2018 at 9:23PM
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    I don't like disappointing children, Mchambers, so here I am posting just for you!

According to you TSB are responsible for, "everything". Aside from this being utter nonsense with regards to these frauds, are you also holding them to account for all disease; war; famine; child abuse etc?

Yes cause they could not do a simple IT upgrade !!:D:D

Mt TSB anyone ?
  • ceredigionceredigion Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes cause they could not do a simple IT upgrade !!:D:D

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5756248

Simple upgrade.
  • edited 23 May 2018 at 7:22AM
    MchambersMchambers Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    edited 23 May 2018 at 7:22AM
    ceredigion wrote: »

Yawn !! Nothing to do with TSB. They need to advise when it is all fixed and working. Like asking how long is a piece of string ? Never-ending ain't it ?
  • edited 23 May 2018 at 6:52AM
    veryintriguedveryintrigued Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 May 2018 at 6:52AM
    ceredigion wrote: »

Thank you - that made me smile!

Am going to hold off logging into MS outlook as I'm probably due loads of wonga.

There's one thing for certain this character isn't an IT amateur never mind professional!
  • Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

I will say again that everything is TSB's fault.....
    He was dubious, so instead searched online for TSB's number and called that. But he says after two hours of unsuccessfully trying to get through he assumed the phone number within the text was a special fraud number and called that.

Clearly not the customers fault at all. Entirely down to TSB.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Be_HappyBe_Happy Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a copy of a very clever scam I posted on other TSB scam thread.

Had phone call from TSB yesterday which I assume was a scam, but still not sure where the scam was going to set in.

Came home to recorded message on answer machine giving me a 'one time only password' to continue my banking transaction. I hadn't been doing any banking yesterday. Googled number it was from and found it to be a genuine TSB number. Went into branch who checked through my accounts and found nothing wrong - odd transactions, unfinished transactions, new payees, etc. Was told it must have been a 'cloned phone number' scam and as long as I didn't phone back and give out information it would be OK.

If the phone number was cloned, then the recorded message was also cloned. It was identical to any message I've received. Even finishing with the instruction to hang up and follow the instructions on screen.

Was obviously intended for person who received this phone call and phoned back immediately to report error, at which point they would be on the cloned phone number and asked for bank details.
  • sully1311sully1311 Forumite
    233 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Clearly not the customers fault at all. Entirely down to TSB.

They say assume means making an !!! out of U and ME
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides