PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The KonMarie method

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Options
    Milocat - very sad that you took the trouble to talk about it all well beforehand, and it was completely ignored. I've nothing to add to what silvasava said, sounds great - except to definitely do what's right for your own little family, you tried to include FiL in a great new idea and he didn't want to - his choice, so his consequences.

Hope you sleep well!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Well done Mavvy, and what a great way to remember your friend.

Milocat, your FIL just hasn't got it - he thinks buying gifts = showing love. Accept the love and recycle/redistribute the gifts, if he bought that much stuff he probably won't even remember it all.

I mostly got consumables/things I'd specifically asked for, a bit of work is needed to find space but it's stuff I wanted. I'm being pragmatic this year, a pile is already forming on the spare bed of CS stuff/raffle prizes for my friend's MS group. No point putting it away, it's leaving the house before New Year!

I'm itching to take down the decorations - I want my tidy house back!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • tibawo
    Options
    I'm itching to take down the decorations - I want my tidy house back!

Glad it's not just me then! We always take them down quite early due to bday in early Jan but this year there is a full week before go back to work and I could blitz the house if things were not dangling in artful fashions!
    Go get it!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,374
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 28 December 2015 at 11:55AM
    Options
    Milocat, I used to put half of my boys' toys away after Christmas & birthdays, and swap them over during the next 12 months. They had always forgotten about the hidden toys and played with the few they had out "properly" rather than dragging all out & having too much choice. Your little one won't miss what she hasn't seen ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :eek: I'm feeling a bit put-upon by life atm as the Clutter at the parental home has been fighting back!

Late yesterday afternoon, a drop-leaf on a wall unit (which has been dropped open for months due to excess clutter in the hatch it serves) gave me a nasty contusion right down the centre of my forehead.

And if that wasn't bad enough, a couple of hours later I was innocently minding my own business sitting in an armchair knitting, when a load of stuff slid off the sideboard above my head and landed on me!!!

Fortunately, it was mainly stationery items and neither I nor they were injured but I've never had a set square in my cleavage before.....:rotfl:

The Clutter knows that I have it in for it and it's getting some strikes in early. This morning I have sorted out a holdall full of socks. I threw this down out of the loft at the beginning of Sept and it made it as far as the Sargasso Sea (parental bedroom) where it was becalmed. Is now sorted into socks for various members of the household inc for me to take home and use. Fate of holdall yet to be determined.

Mum has also declared that we need to sort out the off-room (area off the kitchen) which is a hell-hole and I have decided we will do this after lunch, as it will render the kitchen itself inaccessible whilst we're pulling stuff about. We've already found two Xmas puds we didn't know we had (BB Sept 2015, one was eaten yesterday, no one is poorly yet).

No injuries were sustained in sock-triage, but heaven knows what will happen in the off-room. Am wondering if I should don a cycle helmet as a precautionary measure, as already have one wound on the bonce.

Keep on kondo-ing, lovely peeps, but for goodness sake be more careful than me, some of these things have to power to wound. I look a trifle odd with a 3 inch scrape down the middle of my forehead.

:p Well, a trifle odder than usual, anyroad.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Igamogam
    Options
    First kondo post Christmas.............some unwanted gifts - like others on here I am very clear I DONT WANT/NEED ANYTHING!!! OH and I decided we needed a steam mop ( yes NEED!) so bought ourselves one :) DDS bought us small gift which they knew we would like. A friend bought me a book and again knows me well and my Secret Santa was edible - all good. Except someone who I work for,The Idiot in Charge in fact, gave me some horrible pound shop nick nacks and a stinky faux YC ( sorry YC fans I really do find the real ones vile never mind cheap imitations!) *sigh* Anyway got a bag of stuff to go to CS - DD2 had a clear out of more clothes just before Christmas and I had another clear of the kitchen. CS not open today so going to find some more things and roll up with it all tomorrow. Also got somethings to Eb*y - going to list more is my NY resolution so starting early !
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Musical toy boxes........

I used to bag excess toys up and put them away for a few months, introducing a few new ones each school holiday.

In the end my FIL did come round to the idea of "less is more" but my parents never did. Instead of showering them with excess gifts would your FIL consider a special savings account......my FIL did this so that by the time my boys went to college there was a nice little nest egg for them.

I have saved a nice sturdy cardboard box to take some things to the auction house. It's time to make a start on my mother's vast collection of porcelain and China, along with some of my "treasures".

Time to get serious........;)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,459
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 December 2015 at 2:19PM
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    We've already found two Xmas puds we didn't know we had (BB Sept 2015, one was eaten yesterday, no one is poorly yet).

September 2015? What a daft date for a Xmas pudding. Who on earth is going to go to their larder in September and think 'oh great a Christmas pudding near its use by date, let's eats that!' :rotfl::rotfl:

You'll be fine, I have kept them for a year before now. Mine have no use by date at all, but copious quantities of alcohol among the ingredients :D
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 December 2015 at 4:16PM
    Options
    Hi to all well it's all over for another year...thank goodness
    Don't get me wrong I love the actual day and Xmas eve is magical.
    However the build up turns me into a grinch alright.
    I like the idea of a college fund for kids might suggest that to my niece. Her ex mil goes over the top with her grandkids. They don't love her any more for it. She is very much involved in the kids lives more than ever really she should concentrate on just supporting them.

GQ your post made me laugh I've never had a set square in my cleavage either. I have had an iguanas tail tuck in there once tho!
    Embarrassing it was as it was in front of the vicar! (It's a long story)
    Perhaps you are developing into a kind of Harry Potter of the Kondoing world complete with a forehead scar. The dark lord of clutter is lurking. Expecto Patronum!
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 28 December 2015 at 4:30PM
    Options
    GQ Sorry but your post did make me laugh :rotfl: It sounds like Clutter/carp 2 GQ 0 at the moment .But hopefully that score will change in your favour soon :D I hope your head is healing well.

Well I had the conversation with the people we decided not to buy presents for this year on Christmas eve ;) It went like this.

Oh we didnt buy for you this year as we thought it pointless.As we didnt want you to be dissapointed again this year and ruin your Christmas as thats what you said last year The last 2 years now we have managed to get things soooooo wrong :) With us getting the wrong colour or you just didnt like it etc etc etc.

So (opening the horrible Christmas card with the tatty £10 in it to share between the 2 of us.) Gave it back to them and said you treat yourself with that and we will do the same with what we would have spent :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Do you know what I enjoyed every second of that convo.Think I may have been struck off both the Birthday and Christmas list now :D Every cloud and all that ;)

No feeling fuming when the gifts are returned to us Boxing Day as they are not right :mad: last year I even left the reciept in the parcel But they couldnt be bothered to go all the way into the city to change it :eek: Could I do it :mad: Used to spend £50 on each of them so think I got the better deal this year :rotfl:

Mav x

Just edited to say Last year he kept going on about new wellies like Hunters with the adjustable buckles on the side.So I got him a good pair for £50 with adjustable buckles ..........But he was so dissapointed when he opened them as he wanted Hunters !!!!! At £100 and I thought that was a bl**dy cheek as my wellies are fine and only cost £3 Who would ask for a £100 gift unless you are related to Sir Alan Sugar and even then you probaly wouldnt ! xxx

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills