PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Why Has Nobody Made An Offer On My Property

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nickyg2000 wrote: »
    Maybe its the 75% increase in the price in 5 years.
    If the market says that's an achievable value that now (I'm making no comment on whether it is or not, btw), then what relevance does a 5yr old figure have?
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So it was a rental but the dehumidifiers were for *your* asthma and cats? I'm confused. Did you live there?

The photos do it no favours at all, it needs a full upgrade really and at the very least a new kitchen and carpets.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dan-Dan wrote: »
    The best thing for cats , is a shotgun

They'd never get a licence
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    OK, it's London but if you want a premium price -

+ Kerb appeal is minimal, weeds
    + Very old fashioned decor, not saying aspirational lifestyle with the brick fireplace
    + Kitchen looks like it needs a £10K+ refit
    + Pic 5 - looks filthy
    + Bathroom looks small and grubby

Just looks tatty for the money
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2014 at 8:24PM
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm not going to tell you anything most others haven't already, but here goes anyway!

Firstly I agree re getting better pictures. Have you got any friends with a decent SLR and a fish eye lens? They do distort the walls a little by adding a gentle curve but not too badly and does help to fit much more of the room into the shot. Here are some examples of pictures I took of our rental property. Both pic's are from the same room using a fish eye lens. For perspective I'd estimate that the room is approximately 5m x 3.5m but in my opinion the room looks so much bigger than any of those close in size from your listing.

Dani_s_room_1.jpg
    Dani_s_room_3.jpg

Picture 1 - Personally I don't think this one looks so bad. Yes the gravel is a little overrun with weeds, but other than this it looks fairly presentable & tidy & the building itself looks quite tidy. It's not got any particularly appealing qualities though.

Picture 2 - I also agree that emptying the room of all furniture would leave a blank canvas for viewers to work from and imagine how they might use the room. That said, I actually think that just losing the sofa in the window would make a huge impact. If keeping the furniture where it is, I'd be inclined to pop a TV of some description on the bracket which is mounted on the wall & over the strange brickwork feature (get a broken spares or repair one on ebay as there's no need to spend a fortune on a working one). It would do a lot to hide an ugly looking mount and also identify a purpose for said brickwork ledge. It's a shame there aren't curtains in the bay window as I think that would do a lot to soften it's appearance while also dressing it up to look like more of a feature in it's own right. Take down the shelves - it's draws your eye to one of the darkest corners of the room unnecessarily and makes it worse because of the colour of the shelving.

Picture 3 - Again removing just the sofa in the window would make a huge improvement. It would also be far better to use flash photography as it does make you think it's a very dark room to need the light on during the day; if taken from the right angles the flash would also brighten up those shadowy area's.

Picture 4 - Remove the shelving unit to the immediate left of the picture, it's distracting and appears to be an unnecessary obstruction. It's also not clear that there is space for white goods here - I can spot a ?dishwasher near the sink, but from the photo's I'd be wondering where the fridge/freezer, washing machine etc would fit. It's also really cold looking. Adding some magnolia to the paintable wall surfaces would be a cheap way to add some warmth. The huge gap to the left of the left hand wall cupboard is also a bit unsightly. I'd be looking at ways of filling that if it were me.

Picture 5 - A really dark looking space again. Not helped by the glare from the light shining through from the bathroom. I'd be inclined to photograph this with that door closed (not necessarily fully, but enough to reduce the glare and hide the waste bin!). Or maybe take from the other end of the hall. Having the door on the left open like it is looks untidy. As others have mentioned, the first thing I saw were the dehumidifiers. 1 would be worrying enough, but 2?! This question is just curiosity - why is there a loft hatch if it's a basement flat?!

Picture 6 - I'm not sure what's going on with the flooring here but it looks really uneven - is that a floor mat that's ruffled up perhaps? If not, why is it so uneven? As others have mentioned, the shower curtain is quite unsightly, there really isn't anything appealing about this room to warrant needing a photograph on the listing. What is it that appears to be stacked in the corner by the radiator?

Picture 7 - Again, nothing appealing about the toilet to warrant it featuring in the listing pictures. Are those water stains running down the wall from the bottom right corner of the window ledge? A spot of magnolia paint in here could make it a more appealing to the eye and much warmer feeling.

To repeat what others have said, a floorplan is an absolute must have for property listings. How a property is laid out is all part of the checklist when browsing through listings and trying to get a feel of a property and how it might work for you.

You definitely ought to have pictures of at least one of the bedrooms and the communal garden.

I keep bleating on about a splash of magnolia paint and know it can be a real turn off to some, but in this case I think it would really help and would turn bright light coming in through windows into a warm glow.
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • vqmismatch
    vqmismatch Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    What smell smell does a cat make? Unless it lacks bladder control I tend to think they are odourless. Am I deluded?

They smell a lot if you are used to living without them around.

It takes me about four days to stop noticing the smell when I visit family with them, and those ones have no bladder issues at all and do all their business as it were outside. A place with litter trays turns my stomach…

It took a few months after the dog smelt before the place stopped smelling distinctly doggy when I went back also. Once I've been there for a few days it is however as you say imperceptible (though that may be because of the sodding cats make my nose run constantly).

Cat or dog smell would definitely put me off a place.
  • *SuzySue*
    *SuzySue* Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Cat food stinks, as do litter trays (although that's preferable to them going outside in my opinion).

Your flat looks like it needs a huge amount spending on it. It's not a good conversion - humongous hallway and tiny kitchen and bathroom. Why?

The photos are terrible, there's no features worth saving, no way of working out what is where.

I'd give it a huge swerve.
  • Elfbert
    Elfbert Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm assuming this flat is right in the flight path to Heathrow - is it also right next to a school? Depending on what time of day the estate agent is taking people to see it, are there screaming kids (playtimes) or a road stuffed with cars/kids/parents (hometime/mornings)? Because that would put me off, I think...

Thing that strikes me about the pics, along with what everyone else has said, is why lots of pics of toilets, but no bedroom?? What's so bad about the bedroom?

Perhaps you should set the estate agent up - get some friends to ask for a viewing, let them be a bit sceptical and see if he tries to talk the place up or just agrees with them and does nothing to sell it!
    Mortgage - £[STRIKE]68,000 may 2014[/STRIKE] 45,680.
  • nickyg2000
    nickyg2000 Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    75% in the last 5 years. Statistics show the market has been flat for 4 and about a 10% rise this last year. Just looking at the land reg stats.
  • nickyg2000
    nickyg2000 Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    When people ask why isn't so something selling, it's always price. People buy old dumps that people have died in. Most can see past the odd smell, old kitchen etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport