PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hello everyone :snow_grin from a very snowy North East!

Sorry I've been MIA lately. Having trouble with my shoulder and arm, so I've been banned from the 'pooter.

I've kept track of my spends though, and I've updated my sig. Think I'm going to be ok this month, but it's a bit unreal as I'm using up a lot of the stuff in the freezer and the cupboard.

Can't get the car out with all the snow, so it's a good excuse to make do with what we've got :) and do a bit more knitting :T

Stay safe all.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening, everyone. I'll be glad when today's over and I can stay in the warm! Have been at work all day but traffic has meant the weekly shop has fallen by the wayside. I'll do it tomorrow morning before work and then it won't matter too much. So, yet another NSD for me today, and that's a beautiful thing.

Tea tonight is going to be some chicken drumsticks with some kind of carby side - either a tomato and bacon pasta, mashed potatoes, or wedges depending on what Mr KB fancies. I hate taking the car in the snow and have been spending most of the afternoon panicking about getting the car up the hill after work is finished as they don't grit the road! There's still loads of snow at home though so bring on the sunshine!

Keep warm everyone. Have a lovely evening.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2013 at 6:13PM
    Options
    No spends here since Saturday - the bad weather is good for one thing at least. :)

Been using some things up today before they needed throwing out - everything in GREEN would have ended up being chucked Wednesday night:money:

So today made creamy CAULIFLOWER soup which will get eaten tomorrow for lunch by DH and Mum (will take some down to her tomorrow) and some for the freezer and also did some French onion soup which we had today with some cheese on toast and was delicious. There is just one portion of this left for my lunch tomorrow.

Took two chicken breast out of freezer last night and am attempting to make my own KFC, never done it before so fingers crossed its ok. Have the chicken soaking in the buttermilk substitute (milk with LEMON added) at the moment and have mixed the flour and spices etc up ready. Having it with WATERCRESS and tomato salad and a couple of roasted new potatoes. The breasts were huge so have cut them into pieces and saved enough to make either chicken and MUSHROOMlasagne or chicken and MUSHROOM tagliatelli tomorrow - (only me and DH tonight and tomorrow so should be plenty)

Had about a dozen SPROUTS that need using but seen as for the next two days at least they wont get used, have just peeled them and popped them into the freezer for another day.

After reading and watching a few things about food wastage and how much is just thrown away and trying to redouble my efforts to not throw food away. There is a thread on here I believe where you list what you have wasted and cost it out so will read through it later tonight. Its shocking when so many people don’t have enough to eat even people in this country.:mad:
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    I'm a fiend for using things up as well Billie-jo - doesn't it feel good? :)

Spent €11 in l1dl yesterday. Milk, eggs, fresh orange juice and ground coffee. Coffee has been added to the "essentials" list in order to keep me going through uni assignments. OJ was a treat - can't really afford it these days and I miss it!

Have another receipt knocking around somewhere for Mr T so will rummage that out to add to total.

Chicken was roasted last night as per plan - so tasty! Made a huge amount of gravy with the pan drippings so froze the leftovers today. Chicken will be stripped today. One portion for dinner tonight, one for curry tomorrow, and one for something else on Wednesday. Will put on a pot of the leftover bits for chicken stock tonight.

Giant tin of flapjacks is not even half way through and they're lasting well. Very yummy and a good high energy snack for this horrible weather.
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • Solstice_3
    Options
    Back again :) Went to Asda today and spent 17.42, bought some down brand stuff which I hope tastes ok! Wombled a receipt but when I got home it only had 6 items on it, will keep an eye out from now on though. Have to do APG on DH computer and he has asked me to do it once a week for some random reason so can't check my receipt until Saturday.

Have a recipe to share from the letter in my Able and Cole Box.

Tomato and Soy Soup

Punnet Tomatoes halved
    1 Onion quartered
    2 Garlic Cloves (I added this, not on original recipe)
    tsp grated ginger
    drizzle of olive or sesame oil for roasting
    tsp soy sauce
    500 ml stock

Season and roast tomatoes,onion and garlic cloves at 200 for 30 minutes. Put in food processor (remove garlic from skin) add tsp grated ginger and blitz. Sieve, if wished, and add tsp soy sauce.
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We had to order some heating oil today - ouch.

I had started to put money away in an oil/ Christmas/holiday fund, so that covers some of it, but having gone through the budget I need to cut back drastically. I paid off £8,000 worth of debt last year and I am NOT going back there.

So I have now set a new target of £150 for this month. It is actually £192.50 as I have £42.50 on my nectar card. Should be doable. This week has already been frugal - cheap ingredients with lots of spice is my approach! I have a huge collection of spices luckily.

Frugal treat - MIL has given me a tub of frozen red fruits from her garden. Raspberries, plums, red currants. I could do a quick crumble or I found a packet of scone mix when I listed my cupboards - sort of a cobbler type dish? Not sure, but I think it would help stop the kids and OH feeling deprived. Any ideas welcome!
    Good luck everyone.
    L
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Josslette wrote: »
    Don't really know what to make next weekend, I'm fed up of cooking the same things. Has anyone got any ideas for something really tasty and a bit different that feels like 'weekend food'(a treat)?

I have loads of chicken breasts, pasta, rice, most herbs and spices, passata, tinned sweetcorn etc if that helps :)

Going shopping on friday though so I can buy some stuff :)

But looking at the meals I've chosen so far, I'd only need to buy salad stuff!
    We always have something a bit different on a Saturday night, its a sit in front of the TV and slob night. So I always try and do something a bit different but make it a bit like takeaway if that makes sense.

I love Tapas, really easy to do and makes a nice change. I tend to do a paella dish (cheap from Lidl freezers) a spanish omlette, chicken stew. patas brava. corn fritters.

Or a chinese, i tend to make a chow mein, an egg fried rice, sweet and sour dish, and serve pancake rolls and prawn crackers. I often fry a bit of kale or spring green to make crispy seaweed.

Mexican : fajitas, wraps, with corn cobs or corn salsa, spicy wedges, rice, etc.

Indian ; i just make a curry or a tandori chicken, and a couple of side dishes or biriani, and have made pakoras which were also very easy.

On a Sunday, i like to make simple chuck in the oven things

this is amazing http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/lorraine-pascale/really-slow-roast-pork-shoulder-with-crispy-crispy-crackling-and-garlic-roast-potatoes-recipe/index.html

But I often just put a beef joint in red wine and cook it slowly and at the same time cook some dauphinois potatoes.

Or i cook a pork shoulder in a small bottle of cider, with Delias red cabbage.

It depends on what meat has been on offer in Ocad0 as to what gets cooked.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Shocking i know, February is up!!!!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    No groceries or other things purchased today so i think i am now on nsd number 14.

Needed some washing up liquid as ours is all gone, decided to make some. I already make our laundry liquid so basically added a lot of the same ingredients but added a few other things.

Used the slow cooker to brew up a batch. Didnt measure quantities but grated a bar or two of soap, into about 4 litres of hot water in the slow cooker, then added about 1/2 cup glycerine, a glug of vinegar, maybe 1/4 cup...about 20 drops of essential oil, 1 cup of soda crystals and waited till the soap dissolved then add another litre or so of cold water and poured it into empty plastic bottles.

It seemed to work ok, but it may solidify over night, so will have to wait till tomorrow when it is cool, to see if it is any use.

Added some mixed herbs and a couple of eggs to some veggie burger packet mix, shaped mixture in to meatballs, fried them briefly and then baked them in oven for 20 minutes. We shall have what is left of them tomorrow with salad and couscous....unless i forget!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • kobrakai
    kobrakai Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    This week's meal plan involves using up what's in the freezer, may need to buy a few bits for certain recipes, but otherwise, shouldn't need to buy anything.

Current total for the month so far is £151.84.
    £2 Savers Club 2014 #38 | 20p Savers Club 2014 #37 | 50p Savers Club 2014 #29
    £365 in 365 days #89 £9/£365 | DFBX2014 challenge #023 £70/£6500
    Weekly Saving Challenge 2014 #30 £6/£1378
    Save 12k in 2014 #159 £80.62/£2000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills