Static caravans/ mobile homes warning !

Options

Comments

• Helen27
    Helen27 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my caravan has a full bathroom and was lovingly restored and beautifully decorated and modernised new kitchen and a quality dekking area ?

So sorry to read about your story too and again this is why legislation needs passing. There are rules for residential parks but not holiday parks.
    Hopefully we can get the right exposure here so people are aware this is not an investment it's a con in my opinion.
    Can miss sold investments be turned around and could you get your money back ? Yes I paid £9000 excluding the fees.
    Where to from here ?! Thank you for postingwatch this space so they say !!
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you have insurance? ive heard stories of these caravans catching fire, just think how bad that would be if it happened.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • rock-on_2
    Options
    Helen27 I have just read your post and I think I may be able to offer some help.

There are so many of these holiday parks who just rip people off to suit themselves. The park that tried to rip me off didn't succeed although it did take time and effort get my money back.

Firstly, Park Holidays UK are members of the BH & HPA and the National Caravan Council, I checked, so the first thing to do is to make an official complaint to the park about the mis-selling of your van and that you want your money back or at least some of it. You decide what you consider is a fair amount, don't just walk away. Just remember that a contract can be legally binding whether it is in writing or verbal. Make sure you speak to Trading Standards and tell them the full story. Make sure you get a copy of the Code of Practice from the BH & HPA and NCC and read what these site owners should be doing as opposed to what they are doing. With my first case to get site fees refunded, after lengthy correspondence with both of these bodies, they made it clear that double charging of site fees when a caravan was sold was not allowed. It still goes on, we know that, but it is in the Code of Practice. If it isn't in that code, I have an email from the NCC that says it is so there's no getting out of that one.

When the site comes back and tells you to go away it isn't going to do anything ask them for their full complaints procedure which should include the option of involving the BH & HPA and/or the NCC. Follow the procedure through BOTH of these trade bodies. It will get to the arbitration stage, the site will give a load of non descript answers so the trade bodies will tell you to go to arbitration, that's when the site is asked to pay for the arbitration and you can guess they won't, so by doing that these sites think you'll go away. You don't have to pay anything so keep harassing.

The site will refuse, they always do, so take action through the small claims court to get a refund for their mis-selling and breach of contract plus if you have a look at the licence agreement you will almost certainly find an unfair term in that agreement.

Send a letter before action, recorded delivery. The site will think you are bluffing so will possibly write back to you telling you they are disappointed in your action but more or less telling you to go ahead.

Make sure you then write to the Director General of the BH & HPA. It was a Mrs. Ros. Pritchard but I think that her deputy may now be in charge, a Mrs. Joan Clarke. Make sure you write to the Director general of the NCC as well, email them for a quicker response but make sure you put a flag on so there is confirmation that they have opened the email. Any letters you must send recorded and signed for.

Don't be afraid of taking court action, it isn't as daunting as you may think and although at the moment there isn't really any cast iron legislation specifically for caravan owners, you have got consumer protection laws and you can use them.

You also need to have a look at the OFT guidance on unfair terms in licence agreements for holiday caravans, a very useful piece of kit. Again, long and drawn out I know, but please read it.

Regarding your agreement, if your agreement says that a buyer pays a commission and then you as a seller end up paying it, contest it. That is a blatant and clear breach of contract. I got most of my 15% back because of that. The site I dealt with offered a settlement out of court. There were a few threats, which were just hot air, but in the end I got most of it back.

These people are bullies and rely on owners being too scared to do anything about it. There is a law of Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, very very useful.

Email me if you like, I'll try and help where I can but most of all don't be scared of these people they are just bullies.
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Helen27 wrote: »
    Hi lowbrim...THERE IS NO LEGISLATION!!! This is what is needed!

This is why they can get away with this !

You are NOT told ANYWHERE of the points I have mentioned which is why
    I would like to help others by exposing this. What one is told and what happens are like chalk and cheese ! If in the terms and conditions it would state that you will only be offered trade price on the caravan without knowing that this can be 10 000 less would you purchase ?
    If nothing is mentioned about trade values how would you even know about this if you had not read this thread ?
    Thanks for your reply but you are understandably missing the point. Just don't buy ! Just rent !

sorry but you cannot legislate against 'rose tinted glasses' or fools and their money,bit like timeshare really

most sites have this info albeit in the fine print

Maybe Park homes have restrictive 'rental' clauses but a lot of other sites do not, just look on ebay or on one of the many 'caravan' sites

I am currently renting a caravan and the owners are doing very nicely out of it,they will get from me just over £1600 for Oct Nov and a couple of weeks of Dec, with the park beiong open apx 11mths,

yes it is not a good 'investment' unless you are going to use it for more than just the summer,and again please do not 'taint' all sites because of your bad experience
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hi heartcjheart
    Thanks for your input, however you have missed the point I think.

Please may I make it clear that the whole purpose of this is to warn people
    so they can make an informed choice and that they know before hand what to ask the parks if they are going to purchase and part with their hard earned cash.

A fact is a fact. it needs no fluffing.whilst the aesthetics of a park may be perfect, when it comes to selling a caravan on a perfect site this is where one will be in for a massive shock.( unless they read this thread first ! )
    Referring to fools and their money I would not be paying £1600 to stay in a caravan from a private renter as this can be done cheaper through the park itself especially now it is out of season. On the other hand good for you for helping them pay for next years site fees!
    At least we both agree its better to rent and not to buy! My point exactly !
    Kind regards.
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hi Rockon

Thank you so much I am acting on your advice and will post soonest.
    I would like your offer of your email. It does help to speak to those who sadly have walked in my shoes. Kind regards
  • Eydon
    Eydon Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 November 2012 at 12:36PM
    Options
    Sorry, but I have to counter all this.

I bought a static caravan three years ago on a private site in Norfolk (so not Park Homes). I went in with my eyes open knowing that my initial "investment" would effectively reduce to zero over time. I knew that it was the same as buying a car - it would depreciate. I read the contract - it gives me nine years with the option to extend after that if both parties want to.

No age limit on caravans, just a clause that says the caravans must be kept in a neat and tidy condition. There are vans on site that are over 20 years old but because they have been looked after it's not an issue.

I know that if I want to sell my van before the contract is up then I have to sell it to the site. This was made clear before I signed up.

No sub-letting allowed, so no option to make money, but on the flip side it means you know exactly who is going to be on your site and who your neighbours are.

Yes, ground rent is expensive, but again I knew what it was when I bought the van and I knew it could go up each year (so far increases have been kept very low).

At the end of the day I have two school age kids. The van allows us to take 7 weeks holiday a year at peak times (and weekends whenever we feel like it). I wouldn't be able to afford that amount of holiday otherwise. Worth every penny.

OP, I feel for you, I really do, but I think you have just been unlucky with your choice of park. It's not all doom and gloom.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of the OPs experience though sadly,the whole park homes business is very dodgy.

One only has to look on rightmove and see many of these static caravans for sale by desperate owners. They are often described as bungalows or similar.

A total con.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Blue22
    Blue22 Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Its been the same way for years, in fact I don't know why people continue to buy them to be.

I think a lot of people are buying them at the present time not as holiday homes but because they think it will offer cheap living for a few months/couple of years. Was this why you brought yours Helen?

It would probably be a good idea if your capital outlay was protected but as already pointed out, it isn't and you are likely to loose the lot.

Thank you for warning others Helen and good luck with trying to get some of your money back.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Eydon wrote: »
    No sub-letting allowed
    That sounds like a different scheme to the ones pushed by various caravan parks that we've been to on holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure