Static caravans/ mobile homes warning !

Options

Comments

• keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Hasnt there been some new legislation with regards to this and site fees etc?
  • MentalMinnie
    Options
    Am I the only one thinking...'Eh'?!
  • Helen27
    Helen27 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi keyser666
    If there has been please share it as I am not aware of any. According to NACO they have been trying for legislation for 15 years to help people loosing thousands and the Park owners making millions
    In this easy get rich quick scheme that rides on the back of people's losses.
    Have you been affected ? Helen.
  • Helen27
    Options
    Oh mental Minnie what are you struggling with ?
    Basically if you buy a holiday mobile home there are
    Many things you will not be told about. Then when you try to sell
    You stand to loose thousands of pounds see my post above.
    So this is not an investment boarding on a scam and will not make you money so beware ! Hope that helps x
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    kermitfrog wrote: »
    These stories about the dangers of buying static caravans, and of the criminals who operate a lot of the sites have been doing the rounds for years. I can't understand why anyone would buy one expecting to make money from it (or even expecting to get their money back).
    Because they look so nice. Such a tempting idea to have your own holiday home that you can go to whenever you want. And you get to rent it out and so can make money from it.

I understand that the whole thing is overpriced, but it really is a nice idea.
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hi lowbrim...THERE IS NO LEGISLATION!!! This is what is needed!

This is why they can get away with this !

You are NOT told ANYWHERE of the points I have mentioned which is why
    I would like to help others by exposing this. What one is told and what happens are like chalk and cheese ! If in the terms and conditions it would state that you will only be offered trade price on the caravan without knowing that this can be 10 000 less would you purchase ?
    If nothing is mentioned about trade values how would you even know about this if you had not read this thread ?
    Thanks for your reply but you are understandably missing the point. Just don't buy ! Just rent !
  • Helen27
    Options
    Jimmy the wig you are right. It is a nice idea. Until you want to sell. You are thinking like we all do. And then we get stung. Martin and his team have amazing advice on making money grow etc this is not one of them as it is not regulated if its too good to be true you will get stung in the pocket.
    Rent don't buy.
  • Spiderspoon
    Options
    Helen27. You sound like the person who brought a caravan from Park Holidays after we walked away, The site not purchasing due to stock level, unable to advertise yourself on site, private sale costs new buyer £500.00 more per year site fee.With NO agreement for new owner to remain on plot costing £380.00 disconnection and the same to move caravan to new plot, Oh and lets not forget the reconnection £1140.00 plus site fee £3200.00 and water for the year £300.00 grand total £4640.00 this is without the purchase of the caravan !!!! Can we let ..... only 1 week per month due to the site having caravan's they let this would have to be private lets again NO advertisement on site. We were told the best thing to do is what MOST owners decide is to scrape the caravan. Or walk away and the Park Holidays would remove the caravan and deal with everything, saying the caravan was not resell-able due to the age 1999. Yes we walked away guess what they sold the caravan within 8 weeks for the grand amount £9000.00 plus?????? Good money making scheme this is only one of the Park Holiday sites we were told by NACO we are one of 10 complaints in 2011 they had had from the SAME site. If your reading this stay clear of buying it is another rip-off-Briton scheme without any legal implications to holiday sites. We went on air BBC ESSEX Dave Monk to make other aware please anyone who has experienced problems add your plight push for legislation to protect others.
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hello spiderspoon.
    I'm saddened to read of your experience. My caravan is in St Osyth. I was told the previous owners had to walk away from their investment and lost 1000,s only for the park to sell to me and according to a neighbour the previous people got nothing.
    This is why legislation is needed ... What about trading standards this is immoral ! So this is how they make millions !
    I wonder how many are out there too ashamed to admit they have been done over ?
    Have you considered going to the top ?
    I tried but the delay tactics are brilliant and customer service non existing
    It would be interesting if the CEO could respond to us on here who have been affected to explain how this is a great investment for us as clearly I am missing something ! Trading standards ? Could they do something to warn others of this bad investment ?

Thank you for voicing your story and I am so very sorry you had such a shocking experience. Is compensation an option ?
  • Spiderspoon
    Options
    Oh my..... surly not our caravan was at St Osyth Essex is it true ???? Are you the new owner of our scrap !!!! Very close I am guessing as Park Holidays own 2 site's in this area Seawick & Oaklands and it is obvious both sites will be doing the same deal's. We have been in conflict of interest for a year on 30th Dec 2012 with Oaklands site. We find they use delay tactics to answering correspondence (because they can) never mind a rule book for buyers which sounds brilliant and very much level scales for all players concerned with a promise (verbal) but of coarse.........of a resale with Park Holidays taking 15% of the sale price when THEY sell your caravan on ...... they do not ever say depending on our stock at the time you request the sale. Someone tell me what happened to Good Will etc: The employees who sit in the ivory tower hide behind PA's and unfortunately leave the site hands (manager) just a title to fire the shots and from my experience of Park Holidays NO ONE is indispensable watch your a-- Mr. Fletcher but you are already invisible or take many holiday's ?????? Maybe you actually don't exist at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure