Static caravans/ mobile homes warning !

Options
Please be very careful as these are not money making
Investments and affect 30 000 people annually.

Please learn from my pending loss.Martin please help !!!( I purchased in March 2012for £9000 by August it is worthless and the PHUK won't buy it back they told me they would at time of purchase.

These homes have a book value, just like cars.
If you do purchase one please check on the book value and be aware this devalues monthly and has nothing to do with the purchase price which comes from where ever.

The terms and conditions and licence are only given at time of purchase not before ! Read the rules first.

Please be aware that if the mobile home is modified in anyway
From the original, thousands will be taken off the price if you decide
To sell.

Please if you are going to purchase get in writing an offer to purchase the caravan back.

Please be aware that should you wish to sell, your park may NOT allow you to advertise ANYWHERE on site, not even a not in the window.

If you are lucky enough to find a purchaser, the new purchaser will have to pay £500 more site fees than anyone else.
If they find this out they could withdraw as there is no extra benefit for paying the extra £500.

On top of this the site will charge you 15% commission on the sale price PLUS 20% VAT. Why ?! When you can't even advertise on site !

The parks have age limits as to how long a caravan can be on the site.plesae don't buy a caravan older than 5 years and get that book value first you will be shocked.

There is no legislation and so the parks do what they want.
Has anyone out there got more to add to help others ?

Comments

• billysmum
    Options
    what company is this
  • kermitfrog
    kermitfrog Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    These stories about the dangers of buying static caravans, and of the criminals who operate a lot of the sites have been doing the rounds for years. I can't understand why anyone would buy one expecting to make money from it (or even expecting to get their money back).
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Its been the same way for years, in fact I don't know why people continue to buy them to be honest.

My parents had one 12 years ago, that site had rules on the ages of the vans and a stipulation that the van could only be sold back to the park owners (of course at a massive loss unless you were buying another van on site).
    Ground rent was astronomical as well and coupled with short seasons (April to November on that site) it made it VERY expensive and actually working it out they could have had a couple of foreign holidays for the cost of it.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it's pretty standard on all caravan sites.

We had one where the site had absolutely no facilities at all, but was in a scenic area. The site fees were £2000 per year, rates £450 and compulsory insurance £400. So almost £3000 a year. We bought the caravan new costing £12000 and after 12 years, even though it was still in excellent condition, we were told we had to either buy a new van costing from £22000 or get off the site.

We decided not to buy another van and have had several holidays each year for the price of the £3000 alone. Not to mention the depreciation, over 12 years, of nearly £2000 a year on top.
  • Helen27
    Helen27 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Hello thank you for your responses ! How do we get legislation ?
    How do we warn others of the truth ?
    This is Park Holidays Uk .. Can I say their name on here ?
    What are your horror stories ? !
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hi Kirmit frog ...thank you for your response. The answer is simple ... We don't know the truth
    We are lied to which is exactly why we have to tell people this is a bad investment ... Rent them for a few days ... Don't buy them !!
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hi billysmum .. Park holidays uk
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hi Zacksmum I'm so sorry.. I am loosing £9000 in6 months !!!
    The people who previously had my caravan lost everything walked away and the site then sold it to me for £9000 ( ex site fees etc ) and didn't give them a penny !!
  • lowbrim
    lowbrim Posts: 489 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2012 at 4:48PM
    Options
    All you need to do is read the small print and understand what you are buying, the terms and conditions, work out the yearly cost including interest you would get on the money if you do not purchase. ie make an informed decision rather than buy on impulse.

I am sick of people buying goods and services without doing there homework and then getting the ambulance chasers in. This goes for PPI AS WELL!! We are becoming a nanny state of the worst kind.

I agree these caravans are a rip off so don't buy. But! when you do don't expect the government to change legislation because you have been stupid!!
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hi pulliptears.. Had they known what I'm trying to get out there
    They wouldn't have done it. I'm sorry try too were stung x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income