Static caravans/ mobile homes warning !

Options

Comments

• Helen27
    Helen27 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi jimmy
    On my site if you purchase through the site the rental income is determined by the age of the caravan and they do pay you despite not having guests if they do the letting for you.
    If you purchase privately you can only let one week a month.
    Kind regards
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hi codger

I'm very surprised that you have been a caravan owner and don't know about NACO !!!! It is the National Association of Caravan Owners and as a member I am we'll aware of the problems in the industry that many thousand caravan owners have since I became a member and EVERY owner should be a member they are brilliant in all aspects.
    You still have not mentioned your site as great place for people to go?

My problem is mine alone. I only want to encourage awareness not of the good that speaks for itself, it's what we are not told that Needs airing.

What is OP ?

I disagree about the book value. When traders come to purchase
    They will offer trade value as do car dealers. Sellers will go for market value to get top dollar however the price of a van is only what someone is prepared to pay.

Kind regards
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    Options
    Helen27 wrote: »
    Hi codger
    Thanks for your great post. You speak a lot of sense.
    And I'm pleased it worked for you. You are however in the minority.
    One only has to speak to NACO to know the horror stories.
    I only want to make people aware of WHAT COULD HAPPEN WHEN IT COMES TO SELLING.
    You had time. I didn't. Irrespective I purchased as I was happy that the park would purchase the caravan back. They did not mention amongst many other things anything about trade values or the trade book nor is this in the rule book.
    Please mention your site. Why did you sell if it was so good? Bored of the same place over and over ? Kind regards.

I think you will find that he/she is in the majority,yes you have lost money BUT dont try to turn it into a crusade against ALL parks
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • hartcjhart
    edited 23 November 2012 at 4:35AM
    Options
    Hi heartcjheart
    Thanks for your input, however you have missed the point I think.

Please may I make it clear that the whole purpose of this is to warn people
    so they can make an informed choice and that they know before hand what to ask the parks if they are going to purchase and part with their hard earned cash.

A fact is a fact. it needs no fluffing.whilst the aesthetics of a park may be perfect, when it comes to selling a caravan on a perfect site this is where one will be in for a massive shock.( unless they read this thread first ! )
    Referring to fools and their money I would not be paying £1600 to stay in a caravan from a private renter as this can be done cheaper through the park itself especially now it is out of season. On the other hand good for you for helping them pay for next years site fees!
    At least we both agree its better to rent and not to buy! My point exactly !
    Kind regards.

sorry but NO, if they do not ask the right questions OR get everything in writing(which it normall is in the contract)then it may be a shock. this thread is a 'crusade' for you and I hope it helps you

Really,then it shows how little YOU know about other sites,the caravan I am renting privately would have cost me £100 a week MORE via Haven holidays,and at £20 a night for what is basically a 2 bedroom centyral heated appartment aint so bad

NOOO I am not agreeing with you at all, the reason I am renting is that I am working in the area,BUT if this area was central then I would consider buying ground rent/rates apx £2300 a year and a site open 11 mths,so again a 2bed place with a nice garden area that THEY look after,5 mins walk to the beach,an indoor pool, clubhouse with 2 bars,restaurant,pizza place,burger king,shop, launderette all for £45 a week,now you work it out
  • hartcjhart
    Options
    Hi codger

I'm very surprised that you have been a caravan owner and don't know about NACO !!!! It is the National Association of Caravan Owners and as a member I am we'll aware of the problems in the industry that many thousand caravan owners have since I became a member and EVERY owner should be a member they are brilliant in all aspects.
    You still have not mentioned your site as great place for people to go?

My problem is mine alone. I only want to encourage awareness not of the good that speaks for itself, it's what we are not told that Needs airing.

What is OP ?

I disagree about the book value. When traders come to purchase
    They will offer trade value as do car dealers. Sellers will go for market value to get top dollar however the price of a van is only what someone is prepared to pay.

Kind regards

again NO, it is WHAT YOU were not told AND did not ask that you are airing

and your point being??
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    codger wrote: »
    All they need to do is act the same way they would with any expensive purchase: don't jump in; spend a couple of momnths reading the van and holiday home magazines first; then do the maths and, finally, read the park's Terms & Conditions before signing.
    To be fair I think that's pretty much what the OP is saying, too. She is also saying what can go wrong if you don't do this.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What is OP ?
    Helen, OP is Original Poster (i.e. you). Or sometimes Original Post (what you first wrote), depending on the context.
  • rock-on_2
    Options
    You can ask as many questions as you like when buying a static, rip off site owners will tell you anything to get a sale often giving totally mis-leading information. This is against the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 plus there may be an infringement of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, used both of these and won both times against a site.

It is VERY VERY important to read any agreement given to you. If the agreement doesn't say what you were told, then you will probably not have to resort to going to court. Just a well worded strong letter will usually get results especially if you make sure you tell them you are prepared to take matters further, court if necessary.

I took a site to court for a refund due to unfair terms in the agreement, they lost, then I threatened them again over a term in the contract and I stated that they were in breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. That seemed to jolt them into making an out of court offer and lets face it you have nothing to lose by getting a bit demanding. They do it to consumers, give them a dose of their own medicine.

It doesn't seem to matter how prepared you are with questions etc. when you buy one of these things, some of the more unscrupulous sites will just sidetrack you, they will never be upfront with anything. The consumer laws are very useful, even in the cases of holiday caravan sites, everybody who owns a caravan should get themselves a copy of the OFT notices, very very useful pieces of kit. Judges quite like them as well.
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hi Rockon
    Thanks so much. You know exactly where I'm coming from
    And you advice is constructive just what all need and exactly what I wanted when coming on this site.
    I just hope others read and be aware. We can then turn a negative into a positive ! Enjoy your weekend. Kind regards.
  • Helen27
    Options
    Hi jimmy thanks for your comments. You get it !!
    Kind regards and enjoy the weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport